Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2006, 12:35 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I love the elves and hobbits the most. But each race is unique in ME. The idea of the Elves leaving ME has something sad, but also beautiful. The idea they went to valinor is beautiful.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 4:39 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

it's so sad seeing the Elves leaving...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 6:53 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Middle Earth without elves is a sad sad thing. i do believe that they have something to accomplish during there time in ME and when they have they have the option to leave to the Valinor if they want to. it is most elves dream to go to the undying lands, almost a weakness like it was for Legolas "...Beware of the Gulls by the Sea...". when they do leave it is almost like a bit of magic is leaving ME. it is sad but it is what they want most. :blush:

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 2:06 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

i also think that middle earth will lose it's magic and will become more or less BORING!!!!! :closedeyes: :bye: :sleep: :yawn: :zzsoft: :locked: :argue: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 6:18 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I don't think Middle Earth would become boring, but begin to hold another quality of a different sort. Some magic may have stayed. After all, Radagast is a wizard that doesn't require the power of a ring, and there's no mention of him leaving.

Post subject: Nature, art and mystery....
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 6:57 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Eä wrote:
"Elves represent the beauty in the world" and "Without the elves there is no no magic in Middle-earth".
These statements are mentioned repeatedly throughout this thread and it made me wonder.. what is particularly magical about the elves... why should the world be more beautiful through them?

Hmmmmm Eä...thoughtful questions...thanks for bringing them up. Beauty and magic....

I think first and formost, the most beautiful things in life lie very close to the natural. (or you might say to nature) Elves lived very close and in harmony with nature so that places them in a wonderful position to radiate beauty.

Next to natural relationships and beauty, the arts are most beautiful to us and, here again, elves excel more than any other race in ME. This art, found in song, incredible architecture close to nature, language, verse and other things also make them beautiful to us.

Lastly, I think there’s an element of mystery about them that adds a magical dimension to their beauty. There is more to them than we can understand. Natural power (unlike Sauron’s), long life and wisdom elicit awe, respect and mystery.

I think all of these things touch me and move me when I see elves. And at their passing Gimli speaks my heart: “Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come if I had known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord. Alas for Gimli son of Gloin!”

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 4:13 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think this Gimli's quote says everything. The Elves, have indeed something magical that we cannot clearly see. They have an inner power that it is somehow connected with nature. I believe that they are bound with it. Middle-Earth without Elves I believe it would be like Earth some hundred years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2006, 8:30 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I do agree with you all. Elves and Middle Earth are just connected XD I think their leaving would cover the Earth with sadness, you know. These creatures are just amazing!!! Their tenderness, their friendship, their sense of community. I dunno, but I admire them a lot, and I think they would be a big lack for Middle Earth. Anyway, everything has a beginning and an end, and so the elves' staying :(

Since I met u, I knew you were special :) thank you for everything Fer ^^
How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2006, 12:54 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I havent kept track of this thread, but I'm answering the question: I think ME without elves would be so.. empty!! boring, dull! I love elves! why do they have to leave ME to Valinor? I think it's sad!! Could someone who knows better answer my question? please

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2006, 1:21 pm 

Valinor is their original home. Many of them (like Galadriel) lived there for some time until they were exiled. The longing to go home is passed on to new generations and it lives within the elves until they can't resist it anymore.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 8:23 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

So Valinor is their original dwelling... I see. But couldn't they have done so that a few would've stayed, so that the elves race woudn't have diminished from ME..

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 1:56 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I don't think middle-earth would be the same without elves, there's something very special about them I can't put my finger on.

And Eärlinde Elensar where did you get the textures you used on those banners?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2006, 9:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If the elves did not live in middle earth, I dont know what I would do! Probably die! *DIES*. They are everything good in middle earth, and I would miss their music! *Tears* Elves cant leave, they shouldnt leave. *Crys to Iluvitar*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2006, 10:15 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Elindae, ask ForeverFrodo, she made the banners.. sorry, I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2006, 7:13 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Ok thanks ^^

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Nature, art and mystery....
PostPosted: September 13th, 2006, 6:28 pm 

Sinbearer wrote:
Eä wrote:
"Elves represent the beauty in the world" and "Without the elves there is no no magic in Middle-earth".
These statements are mentioned repeatedly throughout this thread and it made me wonder.. what is particularly magical about the elves... why should the world be more beautiful through them?

Hmmmmm Eä...thoughtful questions...thanks for bringing them up. Beauty and magic....

I think first and formost, the most beautiful things in life lie very close to the natural. (or you might say to nature) Elves lived very close and in harmony with nature so that places them in a wonderful position to radiate beauty.

Next to natural relationships and beauty, the arts are most beautiful to us and, here again, elves excel more than any other race in ME. This art, found in song, incredible architecture close to nature, language, verse and other things also make them beautiful to us.

Lastly, I think there’s an element of mystery about them that adds a magical dimension to their beauty. There is more to them than we can understand. Natural power (unlike Sauron’s), long life and wisdom elicit awe, respect and mystery.

I agree with all your points Sinbearer. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thought. Beauty in our world and in Middle-earth is commonly understood as being connected to Nature and the natural. Tolkien created his elves to be magical beings, supernatural, over-earthly creatures. He associated them with the most positive adjectives and a context that makes them almost angelic. I belive we want the elves to be perfect and beautiful. At least I do. I want to be close to perfection, have something to admire and the elves are exemplary in the way they are so relatively close to human beings in appearance and behaviour and yet so distanced. And at the same time I remember the fights and quarrels from the Silmarilion among the elves which show another side of elves, but my selective mind chooses not to focus on that. :angel:

Quote:
“Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come if I had known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord. Alas for Gimli son of Gloin!”
This is very true, one of my favorite quotes.

Eärlinde Elensar wrote:
So Valinor is their original dwelling... I see. But couldn't they have done so that a few would've stayed, so that the elves race woudn't have diminished from ME..

The world changes. The time of the elves is over and the new era of Men is dawning. The elves can't stay. What would a few of them be doing in Middle-earth, far away from their kin, wandering around like curiosities to the mortal races!

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next