Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 10th, 2024, 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tolkien Appreciation Thread: while read FotR
PostPosted: June 21st, 2006, 3:07 am 
Elf
Elf

I have to admit I haven't exactly been keeping up with you guys; I've been going so much slower, re-reading chapters and checking things up in the appendices and other books. I've also just been appreciating Tolkiens amazing talent for writing, and for saying things that need to be said, or putting concepts that we're all used too, but never admit too, down in words.
So I though it might be nice to have a thread to make note of and discuss all the really tiny details that, when you take the time to notice them, or the even the larger concepts, make you sit back and go "Wow. That guy's brilliant."

I'll start with something I found in the prologue, and loved. While he hasn't written an entire language for the hobbits, Tolkien does add is words here and there. The one I love most in mathom.

Quote:
...anything that Hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away, they called a mathom.

Isn't that so cool? He's picked up on a very human habbit there. We really should have word like that! He doesn't refer to Hobbit words for anything but things that our language desperately needs a word for, but doesn't have. It's awesome. Mathom.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2006, 2:40 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I like how in the beginning of FotR somewhere (I'm too lazy to go see where) Frodo, Sam and Pippin eat and then Sam goes to 'say goodbye to the beer barrel'. It just shows how comfortable Sam is in his surroundings and it makes you admire his so much later for stepping so far out of his comfort zone.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2006, 6:47 pm 

I think it is really moving when Merry reveals the whole conspiracy and tells Frodo that they will all come with him on his journey. Frodo has been feeling so uncomfortable and miserable up until the moment where he thinks he must break the shocking news to his friends and then Merry relieves him:
Quote:
'I think I could help you', said Merry quietly, 'by telling you some of it myself.'
'What do you mean?' said Frodo, looking at him anxiously.
'Just this, my dear old Frodo: you are miserable, because you don't know how to say good-bye. You meant to leave the Shire, of course. But danger has come on you sooner than you expected, and now you are making up your mind to go at once. And you don't want to. We are very sorry for you.'

And later:
Quote:
'You do not understand!' said Pippin. 'You must go - and therefore we must, too. Merry and I are coming with you. Sam is an excellent fellow, and would jump down a dragon's throat to save you, if he did not trip over his own feet; but you will need more than one companion on your dangerous adventure.'
~Both from A Conspiracy Unmasked, FotR

Isn't this just real friendship! :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 11:23 pm 

Oh yes, and after the council, when they are ready to go become members of the fellowship, Elrond says how they don't know what they are getting into. 'Neither does Frodo', Gandalf says, but he helps them come along because such friendship and loyalty is better than swords. That's one thing I just love about Tolkien. He cares less for the warrior and battle than the true courage and love of friendship.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]