Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boromir picture question.
PostPosted: December 13th, 2016, 7:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

No kidding.... it would have been a long travel. Does Tolkien actually give miles or anything to gauge the distance? I have often wondered what the area of the middle earth map is.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 14th, 2016, 2:20 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

There is a distance scale on most maps of ME. Of course it will differ with the size of the map. On mine 2" is 300 miles. Measured somewhat inaccurately in straight lines, it was an estimated 385 mi. from Rivendell through Moria to Lorien. I don't know if that's even close to right, but that's what I got. According to the tale of years,it took the company 23 days (Dec. 25- Jan 17) to complete that leg of the journey, which I think is pretty good, considering.

From the western shore of forlindon to the eastern shore of the sea of Rhûn is roughly 1800 mi. It's also roughly 1800 mi from the havens of umbar to the northern most bit of the forodwaith shown on my map. Middle-earth is kind of a square. :p

PostPosted: December 14th, 2016, 8:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Huh, that would be almost 17 miles per day. If they traveled an average of 8 hours a day they would only need to walk just over 2 miles per hour, which is entirely doable for an average person. Hobbits might have a harder time keeping up with short legs, though... lol

Certainly a long was given the full scope of the journey! Thanks for the info, I don't have a scale on any of the map images I have on my computer and don't have an actual physical map myself.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2016, 4:26 pm 
Istari
Istari

That would make since because it definitely looks like it was supposed to be in Lothlorien. It would have been interesting what scenes it was for. I think they should have at least given him his gold belt.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 20th, 2016, 10:13 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

The belt is pretty cool. I wonder how much stuff there is like that which never made it into the extras.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2016, 2:58 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I know! The belt was so cool. I was really mad when Boromir didn't get anything. :grr: I was also really mad that Sam didn't get his Galadriel dirt! I know scouring of the shire was too much, but they could have at least put in a scene of him planting his beautiful garden with it! :disgust: there are so many things I would have changed about those movies. :grr:

PostPosted: December 21st, 2016, 11:41 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, they certainly could havenhad some things closer to the books for sure. I mean... some parts beimg left lut (multiple singing parts etc...) is kind of a must for a live action movie of that type. I don't think LOTR the musical would have gone over too well. Though, Indid like how they incorperated some of the songs into the firat hobbit movie.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2016, 2:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

Héalic wrote:
I was also really mad that Sam didn't get his Galadriel dirt! I know scouring of the shire was too much, but they could have at least put in a scene of him planting his beautiful garden.

They could have. They had the scene they could have used. In the extended edition of The Fellowship Of The Ring there is a shot of him working in the garden at the beginning of the movie. They said that was one of the last scenes they shot. They could have used it at the end and it would have worked.

Profile       WWW