Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: Viggo Mortensen
PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 1:08 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Well I wasn't going to go real in depth on that. I don't know enough on the subject to be of any benefit to such a conversation.

But to thw topic of this thread, I do think he chose the right man for the roll of Aragorn. Many actors or actresses could care less about hiking to location and wearing the sword to "get the feel" of it for reasons of authenticity. Many would play the part needed and live in comfort the rest of the time and then sit back and collect their pay.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 2:41 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Well, we rarely got (and probably still rarely get) glimpses of how the shooting went or how actresses and actors prepared for their roles or even single scenes as we did in the six M-e movies. My LoTR EEs are 4-DVD sets, with discs 3 and 4 containing around seven hours of additional material (and tons of stills) – called the appendices parts 1 through 6 over the entire set. The Hobbit EEs are 5-DVD sets, with part of disc 2 of every EE containing material on “New Zealand – home of Middle-earth”, while discs 3, 4 and 5 have “several hours” of additional material – and are called the appendices parts 7 through 12. Have there ever been EE DVDs of any other film or film series that come remotely close? IDTS!

Anyway, I certainly don’t know how Liam Neeson prepares for his roles (I just noticed that he played Sir Gawain in the 1981 movie Excalibur – unfortunately “out of print” - , which also included Patrick Stewart of later Star Trek NG fame). But that he can get things right is demonstrated by his performance as Ra's al Ghul in the 2005 “Batman Begins”, as well as playing Qui-Gon Jinn, the young Obi-Wan Kenobi’s mentor in the 1999 Star wars prequel 1 “The Phantom Menace”. And never mind his awesome performance as Oskar Schindler in the 1993 “Schindler's List”. Now Leeson is six years older than Viggo (Neeson turns 65 tomorrow, 07 June, as I just noticed). But when principal photography started in 1999, Viggo was 41 and Neeson 47, so that shouldn’t have posed a problem. Neeson already had experience in swordplay from Excalibur, at the very least, and he also plays Bruce Wayne’s, first, mentor who really hones Bruce’s fighting skills that will enable him to become Batman, and then dangerous nemesis.

Come to think of it, Neeson as Aragorn (while twisting PJ’s arm to get rid of some of his script garbage), and Viggo playing Faramir as he did Aragorn in the movies as is would go a long way towards upping the quality of PJ’s LoTR trilogy!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 10:32 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I can't argue with those credentials. Liam Neeson has always been one of my favorite actors. He does a very good job at what he does.

But you are correct. As far as I know we don't get tonsee how he prepares and while other movies might at times offer some behind the scenes it rarely comes close to the LOTr EE. I know star wars had a lot of extra content and some deleted scenes on a separate disk. If I remember right it was close to three hours but that was probably for all six movies. (As there were only six back then)

All in all I would be very interested in seeing how a rendition of LOTR with Liam as Aragorn and Vigo as Faramir would turn out.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 12:17 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Jax Nova wrote:
All in all I would be very interested in seeing how a rendition of LOTR with Liam as Aragorn and Vigo as Faramir would turn out.

Problem is, with Liam Neeson hitting 65 tomorrow, and Viggo Mortensen 59 in October, they are slowly but surely drifting off into Denethor / Théoden / Gandalf / Saruman territory … :-(

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 12:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yes, it's a little late in their years to be doing that all again but in a theoretical world it would have been interesting to see.

Though Liam would probably do a great job as Gandalf also. And Maybe Vigo could play Theoden. Lol That'd mix things up a bit.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 3:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmmmmm – maybe five to ten years on Viggo could do Gandalf, while I can very much imagine Liam as Saruman; his Ra's al Ghul persona and the Saruman garb – yes, I think he could be quite an appropriate successor to Sir Christopher Lee! :vampire:

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 11:11 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Lol That would indeed be interesting as well. I must say Ra's Al Ghul was about the best bad guy I've ever seen played in a movie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25