Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ian McKellen as Dumbledore - what do you think?
PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 9:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

I found out that Ian Mckellen was originally offered the role of Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies, but turned it down because he didn't think he could live up to the roles of both Gandalf and Dumbledore. So, what do you think? Could Sir Ian have pulled it off?

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

Post subject: Re: Ian McKellen as Dumbledore - what do you think?
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 12:37 pm 
Elf
Elf

Wow I didn't know that. I think that he could have done the role of Dumbledore very well, but I think that the actor of Dumbledore did a great job.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 12:51 pm 

I think Sir Ian would have been great as Dumbledore, but maybe not after already playing Gandalf. I think it was a wise decision not to play both those important characters, who are so alike in several aspects.

But, had he chosen to play Dumbledore, I think his version would have been more like the book-Dumbledore, or more as I had expected him to be: gentle, very wise and lacking the sudden outbursts of Michael Gambon's Dumbledore.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 1:07 pm 

Agreed. I think he could have made a fantastic Dumbledore, but I'm glad he chose not to. The wise old wizard is a type that has many similarities, but there are big differences between the two as well. It could have been confusing for casual viewers to catch the different nuances and not just lump them together as the same man. At least different actors helps with that somewhat. :P Also I don't think I could have handled everyone calling Gandalf Dumbledore or vice verse for the rest of my life.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 1:50 pm 
Elf
Elf

[quote="Nurrantiel Mashiara"][size=75]Also I don't think I could have handled everyone calling Gandalf Dumbledore or vice verse for the rest of my life.[/size][/quote]

I totally agree with that Nurrantiel.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 4:22 am 
Vala
Vala

No. He gracefully declined for a very good reason. I want to see him as my Gandalf. Not my Gandalf and my Dumbledore.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 11:09 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I was surprised to read that HP 1 the movie was released just a month prior to FoTR in 2001. Maybe I got the date confused with HP 1 the book’s publishing date of 1997. “Only” 20 years ago, nothing like TH’s 80 years or 62 years for the complete LoTR (J.K. Rowling was only born 10 years after RoTK was published!)

I have seen very little of the HP series (even though I have a complete DVD collection), and more to the point have not read any of the books (we have three of them in German translation as my wife bought them), so I have next to no comparisons of Gandalf and Dumbledore in my mind by which to go. In one sense, Dumbledore seems to be more of an Elrond character than the Grey Pilgrim, who of course was the main mover and shaker of almost all opposition to Sauron (if more in the background). But there are probably still many similarities which could have made it difficult for one character not to spill over into the other. Magneto was quite different, so keeping things neatly separated was probably much easier. Probably a good idea of McKellen’s to turn the Dumbledore role down, especially as he reprised his role of Gandalf in TH (just thinking that he could of course have played Dumbledore in all seven HP movies up to 2011, which might have “tainted” his Gandalf in TH).