Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lotr site.. ideas?
PostPosted: December 30th, 2010, 7:43 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hey guys..
I'm making a LotR site, (actually have been trying to make one for a while) and am wondering if any of you would have some ideas.

www.rohan.cjb.net <there's the start of my site, it's nowhere near finished.
I've got the template made, it's just a simple one. How does it look?

I'm trying not to copy anyone else's site... but there are so many sites... that it's hard not to!

Here's what I'm planning on doing with the site. Not sure how much of it's gonna get done.

Graphics- will have some(hopefully) nice wallpapers, bookmarks(to print out) and other pics.. possibly some drawings if I can find someone that will let me use their drawings...

Characters- will have a page for each (main) character in lotr... not sure how this is going to turn out. will also have a page for all the horses.

Middle Earth- will have info about the different places and people of middle earth...(that is if I ever get busy getting the info! grrr)

Fun Stuff- links to quizzes, fanfics and funny lotr stuff.

Links- obviously, links, to other lotr sites.

Credits- tells where i got all the pics and other stuff for my site

Contact- how to contact me.

So... does it sound boring? Or does it seem like I could possibly make a halfway decent site??

Do you have any ideas of other stuff I could put on?

Thanks for looking at this! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 9:49 am 

Welcome to A-U.. *gestures to joined date* You must be new around here. I'm Eä.. happy to have you here! :bye2:

I think it looks nice for a start.. :)
But you're right, there are thousands of LotR sites out there, some better than yours and some less.. good! So first of all, don't compare yourself to the others, and don't worry about copying.. I doubt you can come up with anything shocking new that hasn't been seen before. But the main thing is that the site has content that YOU made and what YOU think is cool. As long as you put passion into it, I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Then later on you may want to think about why you are making the site and who you want to read it. Are you doing it mainly as a hobby, like a journal to have a place to display graphics and write about your passion? Do you want to connect with friends and their sites? Do you aim for the general public? And if you do so, then think about what do you want to show people they haven't seen before.. or in other words, why should they visit your LotR site and not the one next door, that contains much the same info and pictures?

I don't mean to put you down, I think the site looks great so far and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun working on it but maybe some of the things I mentioned can help you create the site content. But most importantly, it has to be something that interests you.. then the rest will come easily!
Good luck. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara