Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tolkien website idea and question: who should I get to host?
PostPosted: October 27th, 2012, 9:24 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hello all,

Within the next few months I am thinking of creating my own tolkien website (it's about to be summer where I live, so I'll have a lot of free time ;-) )... it's going to be book centric with in depth chapter oriented information. For instance, for each chapter of a given text there will be:
- a synopsis
- a list of characters, places and objects featuring in that chapter
- a list of featured songs and poems

I'm thinking it'll function as a kind of revision/online index for his works. I know that most of Tolkiens books have an extensive index, but I am thinking that if you want to search through a number of texts quickly that this could be helpful, the main focus however will be the synopses.

I'm also thinking it could have book reviews/descriptions of various non-Tolkien-authored but Tolkien related books. E.g. Various atlases, map sets, encyclopaedias and art books.

What do you think? Does this idea have it's own little niche? Or do you think that perhaps all the information I would include has been covered in other websites to the point where this idea doesn't have much use?

Also: if I do embark on the long road of webmistressing, who should I get to host my site? I don't mind paying a little bit of money a month, but I've heard many a horror story of the suddenly-no-longer-existing-web-host. Which hosts are trustworthy?

Post subject: Re: Tolkien website idea and question: who should I get to h
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 12:57 pm 

Hi Tuilinnel and welcome to A-U.
Creating a website sounds like a fun project and I hope you can get some feedback from fellow fans here.
I was just coming in here to suggest that you are more than welcome also to help out in working and expanding on Arwen-undomiel.com if you wish. Everything on the forum and the main site is volunteer-based and we are always in need of extra hands to help keeping updated and have a interesting content.
You can check the Revival Forum if you're interested to see what we're working on or PM me if you have questions. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara