Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Boromir's Departure: Disappointingly Written?
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2007, 9:48 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Slickman_G wrote:
I have just finished re-reading the chapter 'Boromir's Departure, and I am still struck with a similar feeling I get every time I read it, Boromir's death was no where near epic enough for the enormity of the moment.
I kinda realised it after the films had been released, where his death was done absolutely brilliantly In my opinion.

Tolkein could have done it so much better, describing his last moments slaying many Orcs, and the arrows penetrating his body, with his final thoughts of regret after trying to get the ring from Frodo. His last words with Aragorn are moving, but it could be so much better.

What do you think?

Like ethelfleda said, I think Tolkien wanted it to be.hmmmm how can I say it. The quote from the essay on beowulf "he was a man, and as for many, that was tragedy enough," I suppose Tolkien wanted that chapter to be like an anti climax, a moment of quiet reflection. Battle being the rushing slaughterhouse that it was, the stillness of Boromirs departure makes the reader take note. Not all deaths, as ethelfleda said, are epic, and Tolkien helps to drive that home here,and such a death provides a valuable antithesis to our modern hollywood culture, where the hero has to die a heroic death, as well as the classical idea of a hero dying in a grand fashion. By showing Boromirs death as such , I think it challenges our common perceptions, and brings us back to a more realistic sense of thinking.
And I think I sounded kinda smart there! (for once lol)
The Lamenter

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 10:14 am 
Vala
Vala

Well, I don't really think that his death was un-heroic. I mean, simply the fact that Tolkien didn't go on about it in that chapter is no reason to think that Boromir didn't die a heroic death. Really, I think he did, as shown when Pippin is remember what happened. Boromir fought, alone against a lot of Orcs, and lasted far longer than most men would have.

Overall, though, I think that the greatest part of that chapter was the Lament for Boromir.

Interesting post, the Lamenter. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 4:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I thought it was written kinda nicely because you think Boromir is going back to Minas Tirith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2007, 4:42 am 
Vala
Vala

Agreed, Ashwise. I really love the last bit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2