All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power of Saruman
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 10:27 pm 

Discuss Saruman's powers here

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 8:14 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Well a lot of his power lies in his voice and his knowledge of devices, sciences, and the lores of the rings. 'Deep arts'. Theres probably more to his powers as well but you dont really hear about them. I'd have thought skills like the light in his staff like Gandalf etc. Basic magic skills.

Post subject: Re: Power of Saruman
PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 2:23 am 
Istari
Istari

I am amazed by his voice. It almost put under spell actual me. I wish I had such power :lol:

But Saruman was most powerful wizard until Gandalf became White. Before Gandalf the White, he seemed small and urrelevant. Remember, he was doing what Gandalf wanted.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:50 am 

I think they failed to show the magnificence of Saruman's powers, both Tolkien and PJ did. :teehee:
Tolkien describes Saruman as very wise and that his very voice could command the minds of everyone but the wisest among the immortal races. Gandalf reminds his company of that quite a few times when they go to pay Saruman a visit before Orthanc and yet.. It is something that is so difficult to explain in a book. Tolkien described how the men of Rohan felt that he spoke fair wisdom and truth to them and to their king, and later that it was like waking up from a dream when Gandalf broke the spell. But.. well, perhaps because Saruman was trapped in Orthanc and you kinda knew that Gandalf was more powerful than him now.. it never felt dangerous. I didn't get the feeling that Saruman was actually a real force who could threaten the companay anymore now that the ents had trapped him in Orthanc and when the company came with Gandalf.
And I think it's kind of sad because I would have loved for Saruman to be played out to be the powerful wizard he really was.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:57 am 
Istari
Istari

Eä, how would you describe the real power of Saruman, if you were at Tolkien place? It indeed lacked something, now as you saying it. I didn't feel danger from Saruman as well while reading. But remember that he was indeed weaker from Gandalf and in trap under the threat of both Ents and Sauron. Maybe he was just afraid and didn't come to his mind that he could use his forces? That is not very good explanation but...well.

I would show it by battle between Gandalf and Saruman. Real battle, not words-centered.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 5:08 am 

^Good question, because it is so easy to complain and point out flaws when you have nothing better to suggest...

I think somehow Tolkien's power of writing lies in the imagery, the landscapes he is able to create in our minds, the description of people etc. He is a master of the journalistic trick "Show, don't tell". Show and describe things and people though their actions, not just saying "He was agreat wizard". Show me how he was great! :)

I think perhaps in Saruman's actions or maybe in a "battle" on wills between Saruman and Gandalf we could truly see his powers.
Maybe I've seen to much Deathly Hallows recently but couldn't Tolkien have described how the two great wizards came out to behold each other, how the air tinkled all aorund Isengard, as if all the particles of the air swirled and gathered around the two. Or if the leaves and grass seemed to rustle about their feet as if a massive wind was stirring. Or something like when Tolkien describes Gandalf's battle with the balrog where they fall to the darkest, deepest pits and fly to the highest mountain, and when he laid naked and saw sun and moon pass over him and then he felt life in him again. I would have loved the picture of two powerful wizards battling on wills.. kind of like how they show it in the Chinese movie, Hero, I think it is. Where two great warriors duel in their minds in honour of one of their companion's death. You see them fighting on a lake in the forest as a representation of their mind duel.

So yeah.. I'm rambling.. but these are my thoughts on it... It's hard to explain.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 5:12 am 
Istari
Istari

Hah, you are not rambling. This is good idea ;-) I remember how I liked Hero mind battle, it would be really cool to see it in Lord of the Rings.

I would love to see/read how everything changes around them and transforming to something else. Not necessary in minds of viewers of the battle between wizards. Like massive thunders and dirt under feet changing into something else and fly above their heads.

Yes, stupid ideas :lol: