Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boromir and Faramir
PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 6:45 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Hanasian wrote:
... [Boromir] was a strong and wise Captain of the Army of Gondor. His stamina was greater than Faramir's, and his endurance was exceptional. ...

Objection, your Honor!

Boromir was "regular army", and (perhaps not as unusual in such times as in ours) a field commander in the thick of the battle (Denethor was the high commander).
Faramir was quite another matter. A Ranger, and here I'm also thinking of the US Army Rangers, special ops forces; or like the Navy Seals; the UK's Special Air Services; Germany's GSG 9.
Boromir was a soldier for the classical battle, with all the backwards supply resources of such a troop. Faramir was capable of operating behind enemy lines, autonomously, without any backup. Perhaps, probably, Boromir was stronger, could swing a sword longer. But for endurance, resourcefulness, independence my vote very much goes to Faramir - of the book, of course, PJ's travesty of Faramir that he forced David Wenham to play ... nah, don't wanna go the Rant thread again!

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 7:18 pm 
Istari
Istari

You think of it, Boromir and Faramir compliment each other really well. Boromir would be the one to take the charge of battle with force with the sword while Faramir with his bow be attacking undercover in the back. I could also picture Faramir sneaking behind enemy lines, gathering intel then coming back and relaying everything to Boromir so they could come up with a strategy for attack.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 8:58 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Um, yes, possibly, Captain B. But then that one battle at Osgiliath comes to mind, the one where getting the Nazgûl on horses across the Anduin was the real objective (the DUH question about the Eagles simply dropping someone off at Mount Doom to dump the One Ring in it comes to mind in analogy here: why didn’t the Nazgûl simply take off on the Fell Beasts at this time???). My feeling is that Boromir would have seen the outcome of the battle as “yeah, once again we kept the scum from crossing the Anduin!”, while Faramir would have recognized that “that was not a serious attack, that was a distraction to keep us from noticing what they were really up to!”

PostPosted: September 19th, 2022, 1:59 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Nice post! Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. check this and visit this site to know more Okbet betting