Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Book Faramir and movie Faramir
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2005, 10:39 pm 

Hey, I was wondering what you all thought about the differences between book Faramir and movie Faramir

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2005, 11:40 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, I think that the book and the movie versions differ in how Faramir comes across. Some of the changes were okay, while others were dissipointing. I realize why some things were changed around but they still didn't make him out to be as good a character as in the books. I like both, but I think I prefer the book version.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2005, 9:06 am 

faramir in the books was not as 'evil' as in the movie. when i first saw the movies, i seriously thought they were trying to make faramir a bad guy...wow, very different from in the book. there is some justification in the 'evilness' of faramir in the movie, but overall i think it was just to make the drama more suspensful. i definately prefer faramir in the books to his character in the movie...although david wenham did do a brilliant job of playing him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2005, 8:12 pm 

I really, really disliked the way Faramir was in the movie. He was portrayed as openly tempted by the Ring, and in the book all he did was take council or whatever with Frodo and Sam and then let them on their way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2005, 11:55 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I thought faramir in the movies was okay. It was very different from the book faramir, but David Wenham did a pretty good job portraying faramir.

arwenevenstar

May the Valar bless thee mellon nin

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2005, 9:10 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I don't think that boromir of the films seems to be so evil...
although i like more the version of the books...

but... david wenham did a great job :)

:bye2:
Nim

^ banner: Bubble Black, Glitter Quote: ~shielmaiden~

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2005, 2:56 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I first saw the movies and then actually got round to reading the books. So, at fist I thought that Faramir was a real jerk even if David Wenham is cute.
When I read the books I loved him right away. I mean, this is really beautiful - "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness...", well, you know the rest. And such a balanced, strong guy!
Here's a thought. The TTT EE DVD did him more justice, I think. It seemed that his desire for the Ring came sort of out of the blue in the theatrical version, whereas in the EE we get to see his relationship with Boromir and (most importantly) the lack of it with his father. In this case his lust for the Ring as a means to "show his quality" is more understandable.

Profile       WWW         ICQ    

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2005, 10:19 pm 

xXxNimrodelxXx wrote:
but... david wenham did a great job :)

:bye2:
Nim

Oh, I definantly agree that David did a fantastic job! It's not his fualt that the film makers decided that that was the way Faramir was going to be portrayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2005, 1:03 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Larael Greenleaf wrote:
I really, really disliked the way Faramir was in the movie. He was portrayed as openly tempted by the Ring, and in the book all he did was take council or whatever with Frodo and Sam and then let them on their way.

I completely agree with you, Larael Greenleaf. Peter Jackson himself explained why he did change Faramir, though. He said that he had built up the Ring as being powerful and such.. nearly everyone would be tempted to take it, Gandalf did not wish to have it, because he feared its power, Boromir died (indirectly) because of it. And then a new character which appears to be the brother of Boromir, the one who fell to the power of the Ring, says he would not take the Ring, not even if it would lay beside the highway (or something? :P), not if he alone could save Minas Tirith. That is weird, right?

That is why Peter Jackson was not able to take the book-Faramir into the movie(s). This is one of the aspects why I think Peter Jackson failed in making Lord of the Rings movies. Tolkien, however, made all of this very clear in the books. This proves that the books are still better than the movies :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2005, 6:55 pm 
Elf
Elf

I watched the movie before reading the book, and didn't pay much attention to Faramir. When I read about him, I practically fell in love with the character. I thought 'What was all that - I'm Boromir mean and jealous little brother, and I'm taking the Ring.- about? What they did to Faramir, I can not forgive.
The actor who played him was veeeery handsome though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 7:02 pm 

Overall I agree with you all that the change PJ made to Faramir's character wasn't... appropriate. When Faramir appeared in the movie he was ominous in a way that scared me slightly... sort of like 'Noo, Frodo, don't trust him, he's evil....' which according to Elu was what PJ intended (except the evil part!).
I really liked the way Faramir treated Frodo in the book. He showed a lot more respect for him, which he didn't even had to since Frodo and Sam basically were intruders and considering the dark times they could be anyone... But the kind way Faramir took his time to carefully listen to their story before he made his decision... although he was tired and weary - good guy!!! :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 9:15 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yeah, I was mad PJ change the character that much because he wanted faramir to have "a journey" it was sad to watch

Faramir's journey is in the 3rd book, not in the second, his character really has a revalation in the 3rd book, which is helped along by his strenght of heart in the 2cd book

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2005, 10:00 pm 

Elu Thingol wrote:
Well, at first, I've been at school. Then, when I had some time, there was this very annoying error everyone was having. After that, Arwen the webmaster was (apparently) creating/installing a new skin on the forums, which looks gorgious, by the way. Really autumn-ish. :). Well, I'll post here every now and again, if I can find the time, because I'm really busy lately.

Mmm...yes, I completely understand! I too am pretty busy at times. :)

I agree with both Eä and eowyn on this matter! I know there's is nothing we can do now, but I wsh I could somehow fix Faramirs movie character....ah well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2005, 11:54 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I read the books after I saw the movies for the first time, so it didn't mean a lot to me. I just thought of Faramir as guy who was unloved by his father and never got a chance to show what he had (I saw the EE first). Once I read the books, though, I felt more annoyed that they changed the scene a bit, warping Faramir's personality.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2005, 5:38 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The change was totaly of the line and it had the effect on the whole picture of the enitre triology. I acctualy heard people who had only watched the movie saying "who is that blunt trying to scare Frodo. I will kill him!" and such things. I was completley shocked since i consider him and his brother my favorite characters in the entire book triology.

Here was one of my biggest dissapointments considering the screen version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2005, 9:37 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I too, saw the movies before I read the books. When I first saw the movies, my first impression of him was dislike. I didn't think much of it at the time.

Then I read the books. Then I got mad. I like the book Faramir much better then the movie Faramir. And I also think that the EE did do him a bit more justice.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next