Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Is the movie unlike the book?
Yeah! Totally! 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
I think it has some similarities and some differences 81%  81%  [ 62 ]
No, I think it's about the same. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 77
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2006, 2:11 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I think the movie had some stupid changes, but some awesome ones. but didn't the elven warriors come to help (because of an old alliance) in the book also? or the PJ just wanted some action and drama to it..

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2006, 11:22 pm 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

I agree that the movies and the books are very different. Movies and books always are. I think that the movies and the books were equally good though, which is the first time I have ever been able to say that about a movie based on a book. I usually always think the book is better, but LOTR was one of those ones that, even with the changes, it was still fantastic. Lord of the Rings is one of those things that will always bew wonderful no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2006, 12:03 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

^*nods* yep. It will always be the best no matter what. I think the book and movie are equally good. but the book has the context tha Tolkien originally meant.. but the main idea is the same and that's what matters..

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2006, 3:28 pm 
Vala
Vala

^ Thankies. I'm glad you agree!
It's like you said, the overall message was the same.
I know that they made big changes, but turning books into movies that are true to the books is extremely difficult to do. There has to be some changes. Yes, there were some parts that deviated from the book, and even some unnecessary changes, but overall, I think that PJ and everyone did a truly wonderful job and made some truly wondeful films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 6:53 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

yep. they made an incredible job. I think there's even something magical in these movies, something other movies (especially books!!) don't have. I just don't know what it is.. heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 9:47 am 
Vala
Vala

I completely agree. It's something that other movies and books don't have. That's what makes LOTR my unquestionable favorites. They have a sort of magic too them. That Tolkien. He was a genius. And PJ as well. Also, I have to give some mad props (ok. I don't really talk like that. I just make fun of people who do.) to WETA digital. The special effects for LOTR were simply amazing. The Balrog was probably the coolest CGI thing ever. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2006, 10:06 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

yeah. but they all love the story, that's probably what made them do their project extra well. and also the Nazgul is cool. (I mean the beast who carried the witch king.. if you know what i mean). and the troll in moria was also cool! (better than the troll in H.P. chamber of secrets!) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2006, 10:09 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I voted the middle option. I think that the movies and the books are both really great.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1090576/ be sure to check out my LOTR stories!
Image I'm not obsessed, honest, not obsessed, not obsessed.... I LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!!! Okay, maybe I am obsessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2006, 10:23 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

First I have to say that both the book and the movies are awesome! Of course there are some diffrerences between them but I think it´s not so big deal cause the main thread is still the same. Still I prefer the book a bit better and I´m glad I read it before I saw the movies, there are after all so many things left out of the movies and some things changed as already are said before. It was great to create the world and the scenes in my own imagination along the text at first but I have to admit that the movie scenes and efects are so stunning that those beat my own imagination greatly :-D And I don´t see how would it be even possible to make movies just according to the books without any changes cause they are so expansive. Relating to that former sentence for me the movies made the whole journey ever starting from the Shire a bit too fast and it couldn´t describe completely how long and exhausting journey it actually was even though the attempt is good remembering the limits that time and interestingness sets for movie. Ok, that´s it about that matter, just a little and not so essential point to this conversation. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2006, 2:03 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I regret it deeply, that I first watched the movies, then two, almost three years later read the books. No one introduced the books for me and I was quite young back then. I also regret maybe even more I never went to the theatres to watch RotK although I had a chance.. :'( but now can do. I'm glad I have such a wondeful thing in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 1:04 pm 
Vala
Vala

I am ashamed to admit it too, but I saw the movies first as well. I didn't understand what all these crazed fans were so excited about. Then, my good friend made me watch the movies, I fell in love with them. So I read the books and I loved those even more. And now I am the obsessee that you all know (and hopefully love) today. The friend who got me into LotR actually hasn't even read the books. :( I keep trying to persuade her, but she's not much of a reader. Oh well. At least I have you all to come here and talk to about LOTR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2006, 1:01 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I've tried that also. But it doesn't work, but my friend said she'll maybe read it in english, she's read it once in finnish, and it took her like six months or over!! :blink: I could never use such a long time in reading LotR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2006, 6:24 pm 
Vala
Vala

It can be tough convincing friends sometimes. i've given up on convincing that one. At least she loves the movies. Besides, I can't really be mad at her, since she was the one who got me into LOTR in the first place. We don't really talk much any more, but I'l always kind of feel like I owe something to her for introducing me to LOTR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2006, 1:34 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

My sister borrowed FotR vhs from her friend, and then me and my mom also watched it, and all of us liked it, but now it's like mom and Sonja aren't interested anymore, I am. So it was kind of an accident i got introduced to LotR.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2006, 11:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

A very lucky accident then! It's funny, because I used to know nothing about LOTR, and quite frankly, the crazed fans annoyed me. I didn't know what they were so excited about. Then, I experienced LOTR for myself, and it was........ kind of life changing. I loved it so much. It was like stepping into a completely different sphere, but a lovely one. I became one of those crazed afns I used to find so annoying. :P And I'm so glad I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2006, 3:38 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yeah, I know. It's like stepping to a whole new world. And I feel like, after reading the book and becoming a fan, I've started to see the world in a whole different way, in a new light. In a better way, I mean.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next