Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 20th, 2024, 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading Guide and Suggestions
PostPosted: June 1st, 2006, 10:51 am 
Elf
Elf

If you find the idea of reading TTT in a month daunting, never fear! You can do it!

Here are a few plans you can follow to keep you on track with reading:
-1 chapter per day—19 chapters, gives you about almost two weeks of slack, so you can discuss the book as a whole once you're done!

- about 11 pages per day (this is for the version I have. For your own copy, take the number of pages in your book and divide it by 30)

- about 85 pages per week (or, number of pages divided by 4)

Reading TTT gets easier with each time. But the first time can be very difficult for some. If you fall into this category (I did) you can try some of these things to get you through your first time around:
-set daily or weekly reading goals for yourself using one of the above schedules.
-Some parts of TTT involve a lot of long dialog explaining things which can be very confusing with all the names of people and places. If you come to a part that is particularly difficult to understand and you just can’t get through it because you’re so lost, don’t be discouraged! Skim until it gets easier, and continue reading. Chances are, if you’ve seen the movie, you’ll be able to figure out what’s going on eventually. When you’ve read through the entire book, go back to these parts you skipped and read them so you can get the wonderful backstory.
-if you find reading really difficult because of whatever reading, do not be disheartened! Check out your library to see if they an audiobook of TTT on tape or cd.
-if you have difficulty finding time to read, try reading during down-time in class (if you’re still in school), before you go to bed, when you wake up, during the commercials on tv, during meals/snacks (but not if your family is trying to talk to you!), in the car, in the bathroom, or whenever/wherever you can find the time! Only 16 pages a day!

Chances are, once you get started, you won’t be able to stop, and you won’t even need to adhere to these schedules at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 1:46 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm glad that summer is starting soon so I can do this, lol.
My friends at school would tell me to put the book down and talk.

Thank you for putting up a reading guide Bellethiel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 10:58 am 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

I have officially started FotR pg. 40 :)

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 12:09 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

thanks for these tips!!! it helps ALOT!

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 5:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thse tips should help me!

It's awesome, we have a summer reading program going on at my library. FotR and the others will DEFINATELY be on the slips I turn in.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 11:45 pm 
Maia
Maia

Location: 'Dance like flame cuase theres no gravity, and now I am just a candle trying to stay lit...

Thanks for the tips! =D Ive read it before, I just seemed to forget alot. Im going to start it as soon as school is out.

Post subject: FotR reading...
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 6:23 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I have been reading it a few chapters at a time like that to my boys, 10 and 13, they absolutely love it!! We discuss it in between and they have such incredible insights for such young minds. Often they stop me to make a point or explain a revelation.
These books are soooooo cool!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 7:05 pm 
Elf
Elf

You're reading it to your kids!? That's so cool. I really wish my parents had done that for me... I first tried to read it when I was about 10, but I just couldn't get through it all. :bounce:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 6:28 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

I first read it when i was eight, then i've read it a total of...thirty times since then. Anyways, i've started reading. Page i think....fifty or something

Post subject: An absolutely awesome way!
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 2:14 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yeah Celebwen. I know it wasn't written for kids but when I read it with them, then they can ask questions and I can explain and they can get it a lot better. A whole lot better! What an absolutely awesome way to interact with and teach the lessons of life to your kids!

We are just about to finish FotR. We read a big section in the book and then watch that section in the movie and go on like that. They were totally bummed about the death of Gandolf and they know about the death of Boromir coming up...I know they aren't looking forward to it. Those are hard things on young minds.
What am I saying! They are hard things on older minds too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 8:15 pm 
Elf
Elf

Sinbearer, I think its so great that you're reading these books to your kids. I read the Hobbit on my own when I was in 5th grade, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if my dad had read it with me. My parents other books with me when I was a kid though, and I really loved that. Now my dad is reading TTT to my brothers, and they love it. I think its so important to instill a love of reading at a very young age. Its so sad now when I see a lot of my peers that never read or hate reading just because they've never been taught to appreciate books. My parents both love to read, so I've always been a big reader, and they're teaching my brothers to read. I'm babysitting them right now, actually, and they're both upstairs reading-- not because I told them to, but because they want to. So way to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2006, 5:56 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I read it a for the first time so long ago I don't remember. :D Then again my memory isn't great so that isn't saying much. :) I have read it......well I don't know how many times, but somewhere between 20 and 40 I would say. (Ya I know that is a big range).

Post subject: Vacation
PostPosted: July 10th, 2006, 6:33 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I have been gone on vacation and had a lot of time to read. I read FotR again while I was gone and I am totally surprised at the new things I found that I don't remember reading before. I have a feeling it is that way no matter how many times you read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2007, 7:40 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[quote="Lady Rinoa"]I'm glad that summer is starting soon so I can do this, lol.
My friends at school would tell me to put the book down and talk.quote]

That's pretty much my friends for ya. I read FOTR whenever I have spare time in school, and late into the night until I get drowsy. That's still not enough for me, but my friends are getting annoyed because they say I alway shave my nose in FOTR and I hold up a finger when they try to talk to me, because I NEED to finish the paragraph...

They seem to think I'm neglecting them, but, when you have two friends as clingy and as boy-crazy as mine, you'd rather be IN the book instead of just reading it.

Sinbearer, I think it's awesome that you're reading LOTR to your kids. It does have a lot of life lessons in it.

Thanks for the tips though... When I get done with FOTR, I'm going to try that and read some Bible verses after I finish my daily pages.

We will walk in bitter rain
But in dreams
I can still hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there
I will go there
And Back again