Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 11:49 pm 

It's not like it has to be outlawed. I know, it looks really good and clean. I use it often too. So I force myself to try different things. I'd just like to see a daily challenge for it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm 
Maia
Maia

Somehow I managed to miss this last year (I was gone a lot during the summer, so that doesn't surprise me :P), and even though I'm pretty much never around AU anymore, I'd like to give it a shot this year (...if I remember) :D

I don't really have any suggestions at the moment because I didn't see what went down last year, but if I think of anything, I'll let y'all know ;)

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 3:37 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Yay! Gil! Glad to have you back, even if it is just for a little while.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 4:41 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Smeag, ok. Thanks… again for explaining everything. :P honestly, I don’t think I have the guts to enter in the Cookoff itself… too daunting sounding. :blink: but if I can (have to see as the time draws closer what’s going on in RL though) I would be willing to be a judge… if you still need ‘em or whatever. :yes:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 4:58 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

I am sure we will, PD, and we will both greatly appreciate your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 12:28 am 
Vala
Vala

AHHH! Yay, the planning thread is up!

How long should it last?
- A week worked well last year, I thought. Just about right. :)

Should there be a limited number of participants?
- I don't think so. Honestly, I don't think that *too* many people will be willing to see it through anyway.

Should each participant have their own graphics-posting thread[as opposed to leaving them all in the same thread like the first GMC]?
- I think that might be a good idea... you have no idea how many times I totally clogged up my office computer at work because I was looking at the Cook-off thread. :teehee: Especially towards the end.

What points system be set at[please expand]?
- I think there shouldn't be that much of a difference between most graphics (except for obviously icons shouldn't be worth more than 1) - wallpapers don't always take as long as blends or as much effort. So much depends on what specifically you're doing with a certain graphic. The design, not the size, determines how much effort goes into it (and hence how many points it should be worth).

What should be the "theme" for this year?
- I vote we have a LotR related theme... going back to our roots. :yes: Kind of in honor of the tradition of at least attempting a "Return of the Rings" each summer.

What are your suggestions for the daily/weekly challenges?
- I definitely think we need to really stretch people, try to make artists think outside of the usual techniques we use. I agree with what's been said about font.

Aside from all that: I am SO EXCITED we're doing this again. The cook-off last summer was the best thing that ever happened to my graphics. I learned so much. Of course, I was out of my mind for trying it (I was working a full-time office job, finishing up high school, and working on a massive writing project on another forum), but even so I still managed to do decently well and learn a ton.

I suggest we advertise it a little better this year - I jumped in a day late last year just because I hadn't heard about it.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 12:47 am 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Once we get the theme down, I am really thinking it is going to be fairy tales... that sounds like fun. Although.. extremes might work as well. I will talk to Aliana about it, I am sure we can all make banners and such to advertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 1:41 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Location: Pudding. In a giant treehouse made out of chocolate pudding.

Hmm, June you say?

I'l probably participate.

Even though my focus is more towards quality then quantity.

Soooo if there's any way to earn bonus points on quality....I give it a big welcome...

Born in a hobbits body,
Grew up with a dwarven mind,
Lived in a world of humans,
With a elfs knowledge.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 1:42 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

That is what we are working on, currently. However, I don't think it will ever be up to par with just plain ol' contests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 5:51 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Aliana, have we set up a date for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 10:08 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

Ahem. I am SO sorry I've been absent for a while. [Insert suitable excuses here]. Since I got a job, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate in the actual cookoff but the planning part is still a-go.

--The general consensus seems to be that a week was good last year, but I want to extend it just a couple days, maybe make it an even 10.
--We won't be limiting participation, but PLEASE - anyone who feels uncomfortable entering, DON'T. We're all artists here, don't feel threatened. Believe me, I'm intimidated by all your graphics and skill, so don't feel like you need to stand aside and let everyone else do it. We'd love to have everyone we can get.
--General consensus also seems to say that everything being in the same thread was cluttered and long-loading, but easily accessible. It saves us the trouble from having to clog up the Fan Art section, too.
--Still refining the point system, but since we're focusing a bit more on the Daily Challenge end of things as far as QUALITY goes, the quantity category will just have to be filled by how many you can make of each graphic. The point of a cookoff is to see who can make the most of something in a set amount of time, but part of the reason we do it is to expand your boundaries as artists. Things can be quickly done and well-made at the same time.
--I think having a LotR theme would be overload with RotR so close, and it limits us to making a LOT of the same type of graphics in a short amount of time if we also all participate in the RotR contests. I like the fairytale theme, we can have a different fairytale for each day or something. Themes only apply to the daily and weekly challenges, all of your graphics do not have to relate.
--I'm definitely working on some cool challenges, but if you guys have any that pertain to Fairytales, feel free to share. We're definitely focusing more on these this year, so input is great.

As far as dates go, I'm going to be out of town the 5th-9th of June, but as far as I know I'm free for the rest of the month besides work, and that doesn't take up enough of my time to prevent me from planning and setting stuff up.

JUNE:
1st[Mon] - 10th[Wed]
11th[Thurs] - 20th[Sat]
21st[Sun] - 30th[Tues]

That's in increments of 10, but I'll be gone most of the first week. The only problem is that the 'weeks' start and end on weird days. Again, any suggestions would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 11:10 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

It is fine, Aliana. Completely understandable. This is a hectic time for everyone (except me, mine was about two weeks ago).

--The general consensus seems to be that a week was good last year, but I want to extend it just a couple days, maybe make it an even 10.
Ten days sounds fantastic.

--We won't be limiting participation, but PLEASE - anyone who feels uncomfortable entering, DON'T. We're all artists here, don't feel threatened. Believe me, I'm intimidated by all your graphics and skill, so don't feel like you need to stand aside and let everyone else do it. We'd love to have everyone we can get.
As am I, intimidated that is.

--General consensus also seems to say that everything being in the same thread was cluttered and long-loading, but easily accessible. It saves us the trouble from having to clog up the Fan Art section, too.
Us tallying-up people liked it too. :)

--Still refining the point system, but since we're focusing a bit more on the Daily Challenge end of things as far as QUALITY goes, the quantity category will just have to be filled by how many you can make of each graphic. The point of a cookoff is to see who can make the most of something in a set amount of time, but part of the reason we do it is to expand your boundaries as artists. Things can be quickly done and well-made at the same time.
The main reason I focused on quantity last year was for the purpose of having people stretch outside of the normal comfort zone and not feel judged for making something that was different.

--I think having a LotR theme would be overload with RotR so close, and it limits us to making a LOT of the same type of graphics in a short amount of time if we also all participate in the RotR contests. I like the fairytale theme, we can have a different fairytale for each day or something. Themes only apply to the daily and weekly challenges, all of your graphics do not have to relate.
Agreed. Lord of the Rings is a bit too much, and this isn't really part of RotR. Fairytales still sounds like so much fun.

--I'm definitely working on some cool challenges, but if you guys have any that pertain to Fairytales, feel free to share. We're definitely focusing more on these this year, so input is great.
Maybe we can have two Daily Challenges. One with your amazing creative contests, and the other with fairytales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 5:36 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

As for the dates I would love having a later start, classes don't end until June 16th, and my exams are sometime between then and the end of June. I love being able to give my full attention to the GMC, and having it ruined by studying and end of school things would be horrible.

Perhaps even having a half June half July thing would be nice. [Starts in late June, ends in July].

But really that's up to general consensus, I'll be participating either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 7:32 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Oh... well, though I never planned on joining, I don't know about being a judge now either. June is gonna be one of the most insane months of the year for me. (or at least it's looking like that right now :erm:) sooo... I just don't know how much time I could have to dedicate to coming on daily and judging every day (or however much the judges would have to judge). :( That's all though... and of course it's nothing that should hinder anything else. Just commenting so you guys know.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 12:16 pm 

I'd definitely like something in late June.
21st[Sun] - 30th[Tues] <--I have sole access to the computer and internet around these dates, from a little bit earlier to a little bit later, so those get my vote.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 4:58 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

Signing up xD

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next