Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 10:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

^ Thats what I meant

(MSN crashed >.<)

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 10:17 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Happy to explain it to you. I am going to head off for a bit, anyway.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 12:52 am 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

I've been playing with the idea of the "other" section being for graphics from the prior categories that people are particularly proud of[there will be a limitation of how many of each they can put there to go easy on the judges] and want the judges to look at more closely. The requirement for that would be that if Bob puts a blend in the other section, it won't be counted for blend points with his other blends, it will be up to the judges to determine how many points it gets.

Remember that the main part of the Cookoff is based more on quantity than quality, to get people to make as many things as possible and still stay in their skill-level. The Daily/Weekly Challenges cover the quality part of things, awarding bonus points to whomever has the best-quality graphic, like one of the normal contests but with set judges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 4:54 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

lol, glad the question made sense to everyone. ;)

Ok, ok... I think this is beginning to make some more sense. And then, of course, when it's actually happening it'll probably be easier to understand. :yes: So all the graphics are worth whatever the judges decide they're worth? (as long as they don't go above the pt limit for each different category) Or they're all a set worth no matter what and the contestants can make extra graphic to get bonus points to get ahead of the competition? Whichever way you guys decide to go I think I gotcha. ;)

Btw, I rather like the idea of an "other" section. Though from the sounds of it it could be both bad and good. Risky and interesting. Like if Bob has a blend he thinks is worth more then a normal blend he could get more points but if the judges think it's not worth more then he'd get less points then if he had just entered it as a blend, right?

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 5:08 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

Calloniel (PD) wrote:
So all the graphics are worth whatever the judges decide they're worth? (as long as they don't go above the pt limit for each different category) Or they're all a set worth no matter what and the contestants can make extra graphic to get bonus points to get ahead of the competition?

Sort of a bit of both. Everything is a set amount, but the judges can put forth a vote on Bob's amazing blend that he didn't put in the other section and give it a couple points more. All the judges have to keep in mind is the skill level of the artist. How amazing Bob's graphic is should be relative to all of Bob's other graphics, not relative to Bill's. Hope that makes sense.

Calloniel (PD) wrote:
Btw, I rather like the idea of an "other" section. Though from the sounds of it it could be both bad and good. Risky and interesting. Like if Bob has a blend he thinks is worth more then a normal blend he could get more points but if the judges think it's not worth more then he'd get less points then if he had just entered it as a blend, right?

That's sort of the point. :P It is a risk to put it there, but it could be beneficial. The point is to showcase something you're really really proud of. There's a limited number of graphics you can put there for each section to stop from getting to ahead or abusing the section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 6:31 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

And they should be able to change the graphics in the other section throughout the week...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 6:43 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

Aliana Fae wrote:
Calloniel (PD) wrote:
So all the graphics are worth whatever the judges decide they're worth? (as long as they don't go above the pt limit for each different category) Or they're all a set worth no matter what and the contestants can make extra graphic to get bonus points to get ahead of the competition?

Sort of a bit of both. Everything is a set amount, but the judges can put forth a vote on Bob's amazing blend that he didn't put in the other section and give it a couple points more. All the judges have to keep in mind is the skill level of the artist. How amazing Bob's graphic is should be relative to all of Bob's other graphics, not relative to Bill's. Hope that makes sense.

That's a great idea and all, but it's almost too temperamental, sometimes judges slip (I know I do in lots of things). And after a judge has just come away from judging Bill's oh-so amazing graphics, they might be attuned to Bill's graphics instead of Bob's. I know for a fact, the majority of my graphics come nowhere near as amazing as say JF's or Aliana's, so I would feel jipped if they were receiving extra points for amazing graphics when I'm still learning how things look and what looks best.

I don't think it's a fair system if every graphic is judged in that way. It seems not biased but something similar. People are used to amazing graphics and I'm not really sure that judging each piece individually is the right way to do it. If it's only for the "other section" then I believe that is a fairer system, but judges still have to be very mindful of the people they're judging and their previous products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 6:52 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

It will only be that way for the Other section, and I believe they are going to be judged in accordance to your graphics, not others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 9:35 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

Sorry I didn't specify that, that IS what I had in mind. I think that it being only for the other section would work best, as that also gives the artist a chance to pick out what they think should be given more credit. It's not a perfect system by any means, but this is just our second year and we're trying out new things. Again, the main part of the Cookoff is quantity over quality, so the Other section won't be focused on as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2009, 5:49 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

Alright, that seems like a good system. Unique, but it'll be cool to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2009, 6:20 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

That makes crystal clear sense, Aliana. Thanks. I do believe that I have this down now. (especially after reading over Darky’s thoughts and your guys’ responses) Though I’ll probably mess up down the road at some point… but I’m learning. I also like the idea to compare the graphic with the artist's previous graphics and not with someone who’s been doing it longer and has acquired more skills. :yes: is that what you guys decided to go with? At least in the "other" section? judging graphics in accordance with the artist's work and not someone else's?

And the “other” section is brilliant.

btw, I'm just curious but are there any other judges (as of right now) besides me and Saira?

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2009, 5:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

-dies laughing- Okay, so I was going over some old posts in the Frodo Club. Im in a nostalgic sort of mood, and we were all very hyped about our little project...

Anyways. Im complaining, extensively may I add, about the Cookoff judging and then -

smeagollum wrote:
From all of this, I am not sure how many people are going to volunteer for the judging next year.

It cracked me up.

Okay sorry. I'll let everyone go back to work -slinks out-

----------------------------

EDIT

So I actually went and read what's been happening. I hate being sick because I get very muddled up.

I like what Darky said about the judges slipping. I know that I had a hard time just making sure that I was being fair and that I was awarding point based on the proper things - like how hard it must have been to actually make the thing and what the graphical quality of it was. I was happy that I was basically banned from the actual cookoff thread, because I know that I personally might have judged the graphics differently if I knew who made them. Im being honest, because I know Im human. So, basically its important to keep in mind what's going in the graphic. I know that there were times where every graphic was so amazing it was ridiculously hard to judge.

Anyways, I would like to thank all of you lovely ladies for doing such a good job so far :) All this organizing is very impressive!

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2009, 11:34 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

*ahem*

As some of you know, I have been taking a break from AU for a little while now, and I don't have a lot of time to catch up on all this.

Could someone please give me the lowdown on the cook-off this year; when, what, etc?

You know I'd do the same for you. *bats eyes*

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 11:47 am 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

I'm working on posting a sign-up thread, and then I'll mock up a version of what the first post in the main graphics thread will look like, so that everything is explained and out in the open. I will be leaving a few surprises out, though. ;)

As for when, JF, we're going to have two different weeks that you'll be able to enter - the early summer one, and the late summer one. The early summer dates are June 21st to June 30th and the late summer dates are July 26th to August 4th. The details of who can enter what will be posted with the mock-up, though the gist is that you're free to enter both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 1:09 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Ok, thanks for that. :D

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 3:13 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

Here's the rough mock-up for the main posting thread, let me know if I forgot anything.

Quote:
Hello and welcome to the Graphic Maker’s Cookoff 2009!

The gist of the GMC is to get the most points. Points are earned based on the number of each graphic you have and winning the Daily/Weekly Challenges[see below]. An extra way to earn points will be to put a limited number of graphics in the “Other” section of your post in this thread for the judges to look at further. Most importantly, this is about improving as an artist and expanding your boundaries, so don’t be afraid to try new things.

Rules:
1. One post per artist in this thread. Once you have your post, go back and edit it whenever you have artwork to add.
2. Keep comments to the Comment thread, there will be one posted. This thread is for art only.
3. Try to use thumbnails - load time will be a problem anyways without having a bunch of big graphics to scroll through. Photobucket and Imageshack both support thumbnails.
4. Post Daily/Weekly Challenges in the Challenges thread, otherwise they won’t be counted.
5. All graphics must be made between the 21st and the 30th of June, nothing pre-made. No, there’s no real way for us to tell if something was made before-hand, but we’d appreciate your honesty.
6. No plagiarism, obviously. Post a credits list in the Comments thread so none of us get in trouble[though it’s unlikely we will, better safe than sorry]
7. Have fun! This is a friendly competition based on speed, don’t turn it into an actual fight.

Point System
These are the concrete points you will be given for each graphic. Don’t post multiples of the same graphic to get extra points, you’ll just look silly and it’s more for the judges to sift through. The list of points and a description of each graphic is below. The descriptions are a guideline, not a rule.

Quote:
Banners: 4pts
Bookmarks: 4pts
Blends: 6pts
Wallpapers: 6pts
Colourizations: 8pts
Retouches: 6pts
Awards: 4pts

Quote:
Banners: 500x200, 700x150, etc. rectangles
Avatar Banners: collection of 100x100 avatars in a row of five or more
Bookmarks: 150x700 vertical rectangles
Blends: 700x500, 600x400, etc. rectangles
Wallpapers: 800x600, 1024x768, etc. rectangles
Colourizations: black and white photo colored with a digital graphics program
Retouches: unretouched photos retouched with a digital graphics program
Awards: 300x200, 400x200, etc. rectangles made specifically for the winners of contests

”Other” Section
This is the section where you can post a limited number of graphics you think deserve more points than they would originally be given, for the judges to look at. The points given are at the discretion of the judges - you may get more or less points than you would have originally, or it may stay the same. By putting your graphics in this section you state that you won’t argue if the points given weren’t exactly what you wanted.

Number of graphics allowed in the “Other” section:
Quote:
Banners: 2
Bookmarks: 2
Blends: 2
Wallpapers: 1
Colourizations: 1
Retouches: 1
Awards: 2

Daily and Weekly Challenges
The Daily Challenges will be posted at midnight GMT[7:00 PM EST] on the day of and crossed off at midnight GMT the day after, with no other entries accepted. Weekly Challenges will be posted at midnight GMT at the beginning of the Cookoff and crossed off at midnight GMT the day after, with no other entries accepted. You can still post what you’ve made in the Main thread, but it will not be put in for judging.

Judging will be done in a first to fourth place format, and extra points will be awarded as well as the points for the graphic itself. For example, first place in a Daily Challenge will get +6 points for a blend, with a total of 12 points, second place will get +4 points with a total of 10 points, etc. These are the only part of the Cookoff besides the “Other” section where skill will be looked at as well as speed, but doing your best is encouraged throughout the Competition. The entire point is to challenge yourself to improve at a fast pace. If you are not satisfied with your own work, challenge yourself to do better.

More information on the Daily/Weekly Challenges will be posted in the Challenges thread. Remember that your Challenge entries will not be counted unless they are posted there.

Form For Posting
Use this form in your post. It makes things easier on the judges if everyone uses the same format.

Code:
[b]Avatars:[/b]

[b]Banners:[/b]

[b]Avatar Banners:[/b]

[b]Bookmarks:[/b]

[b]Blends:[/b]

[b]Wallpapers:[/b]

[b]Colourizations:[/b]

[b]Retouches:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

Comments and questions, again, should be posted in the Comments thread to cut down on load time and pages to sift through.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next