Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:11 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

But to devote an entire section just for voting?? Dunno... shouldn't voting just remain under contests anyway, since they ARE a part of contests? I mean, this is a LotR forum not a graphics one. Gimli's thread seems to be helping out a lot anyway.

Just my two cents.

Balathor, you suggested a voting section under the contest section... you mean a subforum? Because if so then ignore what I said up there haha.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:18 pm 
Istari
Istari

A Sub Forum, Or a section between the Contests and Suggestions Sections. I would be fine with either.

Voting is a part of the Contest Process, but still...The topics do keep getting pushed back by the actual Contest Topics. And it usually ends up taking forever to get votes. Definitely know this seeing as I run 4 contests. This is a LOTR forum, but it also has a rather large Graphic-Making base and I don't see how one little Voting Section would hurt anything. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:27 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Perhaps we should then limit contest hosts to a certain number of contests at once instead of making an extra section devoted solely to voting?

I never implied that a voting section would hurt anything but a whole section for it certainly wouldn't be considered little.

I mean, we have enough forums as it is... takes me ages to scroll from one end of the index page to another. Wouldn't yet another one be a little much?

But it's up to the mods anyway, and I reckon they'll take all we say into consideration.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

Whether People are limited to starting a certain amount of Contests or not, I still don't find it fun trying to pick out the Voting topics from the actual Contest ones.

There are a large amount of Contests, so there is a large amount of voting topics as well. Therefore people could just go to the Voting section to vote(If there was one). All the Topics would be for voting so you wouldn't have to worry about picking them out from the actual Contest topics.

Yeah, there are alot of Sections. But like has been brought up earlier in the topic, the Signatures and Avvies Section is basically pointless. You can click your profile if you want to see how your new graphics look. Atleast with a Voting section, people would have a higher chance of getting votes and the Contest section wouldn't be so cluttered.

But yep, tis up to the Mods, and twas just a suggestion anyways. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:45 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I also voted that the sig & av section should go too because I realised when I first joined that I can see my sig and av by just looking at a post I made :P

Yeah I know the voting thing's inconvenient - hell, I can't even find one of my own voting threads right now - but it seems a bit much to be making a whole forum just for voting. I mean, Gimli's thread seems pretty effective right now anyway, we could all just keep using it. I know I do...

:yes:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:48 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

This is kinda indirectly to do with what everyone's talking about, but I remember in the hey-day of the contest section (which we seem to have again), there didn't seem to be too much of a problem when it came to voting. Sure, you would have to bump the page maybe once, but on the whole the votes came within a couple of days of starting, and there wasn't that much chance of them being pushed back.

For me, if I'm voting and I see a thread with 15 replies, I don't see the need to vote. But, a lot of people vote, then they're thanked, then they come back and say "you're welcome". There are 2 extra posts and no votes. So, I think sometimes that's why voting threads get ignored and pushed back, because people think they've got plenty of votes, when actually they haven't.

I also think it has to lot to with how you advertise your voting thread. LOTR [R13] VOTE! isn't the way to do it. It should clearly tell people what they are voting for and the fact it is a voting thread.

Spiderman Quote Contest ***VOTING***

Thanks, Haldy. :hug: I'm a bit behind in updating it, but I'll fix it tonight. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:50 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

^Which makes me think... maybe there should be a specific format we should use to title our contest and voting threads so that people will KNOW what it is right away by just glancing at the title?

Ex.,
[CONTEST] LotR locations
[VOTING] LotR locations

[CONTEST] Actors & actresses
[VOTING] Actors & actresses

And you've been doing a fine job Gimzers! :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 4:54 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yes, precious. That would make everything much easier on the eyeballs. Some contest titles confuse the hell out of me anyway, but that would at least make them stand out.

Thanking you. :happy:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 5:06 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

I was earlier trying to think of a way to not have a seperate voting thread. I mean, if entries are PMed, you can just change the first post to a voting post, then you will be able to have only one thread instead of two, which would help.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 5:09 pm 

Hi my dears!

Well, I'm here to update and let y'all know, that we're discussing this issue! Ironically enough, we were discussing setting up a sub-board in the Contests section for voting! Just what someone had mentioned today! Crazy! Well, we'll see what happens! Thanks everyone for your input! You guys are what makes this forum run smoothly and possible as well! Hugs all around!

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 5:21 pm 
Istari
Istari

That is awesome news! Like I said, I am fine with either a Sub-Forum or a new Section. Both would be quite helpful. Thank you for feeling us in Sida! :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 1:30 am 

Haldir o Lórien wrote:
^Which makes me think... maybe there should be a specific format we should use to title our contest and voting threads so that people will KNOW what it is right away by just glancing at the title?

Ex.,
[CONTEST] LotR locations
[VOTING] LotR locations

[CONTEST] Actors & actresses
[VOTING] Actors & actresses

And you've been doing a fine job Gimzers! :teehee:

I do think this would be a good idea. All the //**~crmtyh contest ||`<< gets a little frustrating to look through. It's hard to tell what the heck the contest is about.

And thank for filling us in! It's nice to know the Mods are taking this under consideration.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 11:46 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ Oh, god yes. I'm going through the contest pages trying to update everything, and I'm just being assaulted by YRT YMCA BBC FFD GYC .... it's maddening it really is. I'm so confused, it's going to take me a long time sorting everything out, as everything looks the same. Round this, round that.

*goes to jump off bridge*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 6:06 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

I personally think there should be more rules tied to the contest section. I mean, the club section... you have to approve your club before you start one. Why don't we have a station to approve your contest? Then there will be less contests to hassle with and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 6:10 pm 
Istari
Istari

I don't think it is a bad thing there are so many Contests, I just think it is annoying trying to pick them out from the Voting topics. Most Contests would still have to be approved anyways, unless there was already a Contest that was similar, but I think JF's topic does a good job at showing what Contests have already been started.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 6:13 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

I think the problem is more the similarity of some contests. I mean, the graphics part of this board has just sky rocketed lately, and there has been no real need for organization of it, but now there is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next