Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallowfest
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 10:28 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I know there seems to be a lot going on at the moment with the Member Awards and everything, but I just wanted to mention the Hallowefest which we had last year, and was probably one of the best things I've ever participated in on AU, and I know a lot of people loved it just as much.

I don't know how long it took Kit and the other Mods to organize it all, and I'm presuming there will be another one this year so... yeah, I was just bringing to to everyone's attention in case some people had forgotten about it.

I know the Mods are very busy with real life and AU duties, but I'm kinda presuming this is something that the Mods would have to organize themselves? I can't really see how members involvement could really match what you guys did last year, and surprises are always nice. :yes:

Ok, I'm done. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 4:24 pm 
Vala
Vala

*peeks in* I never got to attend the Hallowfest, because that was right after I returned after a long absence and I was totally out of the loop as far as A-U events went. I hope we do it again, because I would like to participate this year.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 5:59 pm 

The Hallowfest! That thing was incredible. I think it's been my best AU memory yet. I do hope that it will happen again this year. And as JF said, we members may not be able to do a whole lot, but if there's anything we can do to help I'm sure most of us would be glad to!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 6:06 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

I was JUST thinking about this earlier today, wondering if it would be going on again this year. I'm hoping I'll be around to participate, but either way it would be a great way to get new members and old members who didn't get to play last year involved in the mayhem that are A-U events.

And, like Nurr said, I'd be happy to help out any way I can. :yes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 8:17 pm 

[groans]

Oh gawd, Hallowfest.

Why did I start that? I'm never gonna have time to do it this year. It feels like ages ago, I can't believe it's that time of year again. Insane.

I check the forum about once every four-five days now because I actively organize senior class events and fundraisers for my graduating class, as well as going to college full time, so time is literally limited to me right now.

I got such good feedback from last year though that it'd be devastating to you guys if we didn't have it this year. With a little nit-picking here and there, I think Hallowfest this year can be improved. Things might be a little difference though and it may be worse depending on my time constraints. Last year, I organized everything, the map, setting up the murders, setting up the clues, posting updates so now it's going to be a little harder.

I will try my very best though to get it started. What do you guys think about having a longer, a bit slower paced Hallowfest? Maybe two or three days will give you guys an opportunity to think out clues (I'll try to make them less detailed, as I realized other normal people aren't as freakish about detail)? With two-three days in between murders, we can stretch the entire event to two weeks versus the one week that we had last year.

I really don't want to jinx myself and say that I'll go through with this, because I really don't know where I stand in a month. I have a big research paper around that time, not counting any unforeseen assignments from my other classes.

Thanks for reminding me, guys!

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 8:40 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

It was pretty great fun last year... definitely wouldn't mind doing this again of course.
Also, best of luck with school Kit, I hope you don't stress too much^^

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 9:42 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Kit, if having the Hallowfest last longer, and having more days between the murders (man, that sounds weird), will help you, then I'm all for it. I'm sure the guests will be able to amuse themselves inbetween such times. There could perhaps even be events on some of the days inbetween, like a pumpkin carving contest (which could either be hand drawn or proshopped and then posted) to keep things active.

I'm pretty much all for whatever you say Kit, as you were are murdering Hallowfest host. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 7:56 am 

I've been thinking about something concerning the A-U events. The mods are VERY busy with real lives and the member involvement and network is becoming a lot stronger. The past year different groups or individuals have taken on them to organise, plan and carry out events for the whole forum. Even though we all have busy lives there are always a handful of people who wants to help out at a certain time and puts a lot of time and effort into this. But there are still a lot of practical things and shiny buttoms it takes a mod to fix, like setting up certain threads or in realising all the behind the scenes mystery with the Hallowfest.
So I was thinking about if it would be possible to give certain members, e.g. the planning group around the Hallowfest or Member Awards or Yule Ball or whatever comes up next extended powers. I mean give them access to a limited part of the moderator functions for a limited time so they would be able to sticky ball threads in Misc. Randomness, work behind the scenes for the Hallowfest or post voting threads for Member Awards while the event was going on. I don't know if it is actually possible to give access to only specific parts of the forum like that.

Alright, I know the counter argument could be how it might create certain tensions if some members suddenly got extended powers and someone might think they were trying to act like mods, but I'm really impressed how the Return of the Rings happened. So many people participated and it was almost all member based and the small hardcore planning group with smeagollum in charge did a really good job. It's great that the members with the time and the ideas are able to carry it out because member participation is what makes A-U live and grow.

Alright, it was long and it got slightly off-topic, I should probably have started a new topic.. but I don't want to make it a huge thing really... I mean I think the mods do an excellent job and I know they work hard behind the scenes to make this forum run smoothly 24/7. This is not meant to be a critique of the mods, not at all, nor am I trying to promote ordinary members to mods. This is just a thought and the members who would get access to extra functions would of course be limited to organise the certain events or work in specific areas, they should NOT be doing any moderator work.
So I'm wondering, would it be possible, would it work?

Thanks.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 10:10 am 

It's a good thought, but there's not much to do when it comes to giving a member more buttons to help around with the HalloFest. As it is, it's a giganto roleplaying game that extends for a week or two, and what members CAN do it help don't require them to have fun buttons (as much as I would love to share the fun buttons).

Generally, giving some members access for the sole genuine reason to help out can get messy. [Let's avoid calling it 'extending powers' because that just sounds ugly no matter how you look at it.] I don't know if we can limit the fun buttons to one section of the forum or not, that's something the Webmissy would have to answer.

Personally, I am a 'do-it-yourself' kind of gal, more of a 'I want to have it done this way and that way' and if someone does things for me, I feel like I've lost a piece of my soul. :p

I'd love for people to help think of little events we can have (in the roleplaying thread such as a apple-bobbing contest). I can also let someone great the "mansion map" for this year, they can even create two floors if they would like.

What I'll definitely need help with is advertising. For example, I can post threads in some major sections of the forum (which sections do you advise? Which ones get the most foot traffic?) and I'd like some members to advertise in their sigs just to notify everyone: HEY, it's coming up!

Anyone interested in helping with any of these?

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Last edited by Kitoky on September 13th, 2008, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 10:26 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ooh, I would love to have a go at the floor map. :yes: If I start it early enough, then if I can't cut it, someone else can try. XD

I think most people would be willing to advertise in their sigs. Somewhere though, there needs to be a clear, concise explanation of what the Hallowfest is all about, because if people just link back to this topic "hey go HERE", then newcomers to the event will not have a clue what it is, and most likely forget about it. I think that's been the problem with past events that have been advertised. No-one want to wade through a topic to try and find out exactly what it is that's happening.

I also think people who head popular topics could advertise in their threads as well.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 10:39 am 

MAP: Johnny's Fan

Okay, well you can try making the map whenever you can. If you can't, just let me know and maybe someone else can do one. What you want to do is make it big enough for details can be added like how I added little bits of things last year to the map, you don't even have to particularly make it 700 x 500, you can make it bigger and I can mess around with the html so it can be properly looked it but gives people a opportunity to see the original, larger version of it.

About sig-advertising. I would advise putting a small link in there directing them to the information thread about the Hallofest, and from there they can go the actual event thread.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 10:44 am 

Thanks for replying, Kit.
I had a feeling it would have to be a webmaster thing.. and then it wouldn't be smart at all, since the whole idea was to relieve her and you mods from extra work.

I know there is a chance it would get even more complicated and messy if things and responsability were spread out more. (Concerning the word choice of 'power' I know.. it's a very value-based word, that's why I used it as I did. :teehee:)

I don't know much about the Hallowfest, since I couldn't participate much last year. Basically I just wanted to throw the thought out.
Thanks for listening. My job is done. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 4:23 pm 

I have no idea what actually happened at the Hallowfest last year. Actually, I don't even remember why I wasn't able to participate. I do remember it sounding like a lot of fun though, and I'm determined to participate this year.

I'd volunteer to help, but as I don't really know what went on I probably wouldn't be very helpful. Advertising is definitely something I can do though. :)

Would someone mind explaining exactly what went on at the Hallowfest last year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 5:10 pm 

Don't worry, Larael. Once I get the basic idea put together, I'll post an information thread about the event.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2008, 1:41 pm 

Yay! I mentioned a last week to JF that the Hallowfest was so much fun last year.. and here it is: a new planning thread :-D

It was great fun last year and I'm willing to help with organising and planning whenever I can for this year to relieve Kit a bit so just tell me what I can do..

Lar- the Hallowfest is like one big RPG-event which takes about 2 weeks -probably- Last year every member changed names and banners so at the start everyone would be anonymous. Then one member got killed in a mysterious way and Kit would be dropping hints later on. During the week I think almost 10 members "died" and they became ghosts so they could still communicate with us. (okay.. barely.. they mostly talked nonsense :P) The rest of the members would start guessing and kinda "accusing" others, or purposely behave suspicious to make things even more complicated.. and at the end the murderer would be revealed.

Lots of fun :-D :bounce:

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2008, 7:17 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

awesome! :D I was just thinking about this a few days ago and I came on and here it was! :P It was a blast last year. I am really happy to see there is a planning thread up this year so everything can get sorted out and maybe it won't be quite so much work for the mods. And thanks for taking the time out to do it too, Kit. :hug: I'm sure we'll all help as much as possible! :D and if it needs to take more time that's totally ok. It'll be much easier to keep up with. :yes: hmmm, and as far as the planning goes I don't think I could help out much... :erm: other than putting it in my sig or whatever is needed to help advertise it. But try I'll help in any way possible, of course....

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-