Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Graphic Cookoff 2009 - Planning/Suggestions
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 3:31 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

<center>[font=georgia]Graphic Maker's Cookoff 2009[/font]
[font=georgia]planning thread[/font]

Alrighty, so since the GMC[Graphic Maker's Cookoff] was such a hit last year around the forum, we figured we'd go at it again this year but with a little more planning involved. We don't have dates set yet, but it will probably be sometime in June, so we have a good while before anything's set in stone. Just wanted to get the ball rolling before June was upon us and nothing had gotten accomplished. :P

So post your suggestions here, what you think we could improve upon from last year's GMC, anything that comes to mind.

Hot Topics:
How long should it last?
Should there be a limited number of participants?
Should each participant have their own graphics-posting thread[as opposed to leaving them all in the same thread like the first GMC]?
What points system be set at[please expand]?
What should be the "theme" for this year?
What are your suggestions for the daily/weekly challenges?

Graphic Points wrote:
Banners: #
Bookmarks: #
Blends: #
Wallpapers: #
Colourizations: #
Retouches: #
Awards: #
Other: #

Planning Committee:
::Aliana Fae
::Smeagollum

Judges
[If you want to be a judge, please apply here!!]
::Sairahiniel

Participants
[Let us know if you'll be participating!!]

Advertising
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage</center>

Last edited by Ammy Dawne on May 27th, 2009, 5:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 3:34 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Here is last years planning thread, if you wish to look back: http://arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18611

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 3:56 pm 

Ooh, exciting! I was hoping we'd be doing it again.

How long should it last?
--I suppose that depends on if we want graphics overload or not. I know last year quite a few people thought it went by too fast before they could really get going.

--No. But if you don't think you'll really do anything, don't sign up.

Should each participant have their own graphics-posting thread[as opposed to leaving them all in the same thread like the first GMC]?
--Hmm. It was nice to go through and see what other people were doing without a lot of clicking, but whenever you wanted to update your own you had to go through everyone's again. So I guess I would rather have their own thread.

--Shall come later

--Did we have a theme last year? I can't remember. Oh yeah, circus-ish right? Maybe? Um...I dunno. Nature could be cool. :yes:

--Something with text! Okay, I'd really like to see people have to do something different. I notice a lot of the same kinds of text on banners, and I'd love to make people have to change it up. Mwahahaha.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 4:26 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
--Something with text! Okay, I'd really like to see people have to do something different. I notice a lot of the same kinds of text on banners, and I'd love to make people have to change it up. Mwahahaha.

What do you mean? Like...typography-based challenges, or just something to do with particular font/text[like in the font club's contest]?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 6:00 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Ok, so this has haunted me for a long, long, long time... what exactly IS the Graphic Maker's Cookoff? I mean, I know roughly what it's all about... but what exactly do you DO in it (I know you make graphics and that's about it :P)? Or how to you judge and such? I feel so... umm... stupid (?) for asking what everyone probably knows but this has been haunting teh PD.... so... perhaps someone has pity and can explain it a little more for me? (if what I just wrote makes sense to anyone)

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 6:37 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

I thought last year's format was good.

How long should it last?
A week was a good idea, for me it gave me enough time to get lots done, as well as spend time off the computer.

Nope.

No, I really enjoyed looking through everyone's stuff, and picking up on new ideas and stuff. Plus, it would get very cluttered very quickly if we had a lot of participants.

Last years seemed like a good idea. I was a bit miffed since I made 100 banners or so, and only a few layouts, and I still got less points than those who made few banners and more layouts. I take more time to make a banner, than I do to make a blend/layout, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

A nature theme would be very fun, and work with different types of nature each challenge, so a grass theme, tree theme, ocean theme, and that type of thing. Another neat idea would be to do a world theme, and focus on a big city for each daily challenge, so London, Hong Kong, New York etc. etc. etc.

^See above.

I will be participating, depending on the time. A July event seems best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 6:42 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Aliana and I came up with a fairy-tale theme. However, you wouldn't be allowed to use screencaps of the movies or cartoons. So, you would have to find model and stock photos.

PD... the cookoff is an event where you make as many graphics as you can within a certain length of time. Then, at the end of the time, the person with the most tallied points wins. That is the really quick summary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 7:19 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

smeag, thanks. So... if I understand you right this Cookoff is where all the people in it post on threads (in the Fan Art section?) all of the graphics they make in, say, the week's time? And you can make as many or as few graphics you want but all graphics count for points? Hm, then how does the judging work? (sorry for so many questions... just want ot make sure I'm understanding this correctly)

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 12:19 am 
Elf
Elf

Sounds fun...I might participate. Miiight. It's a little daunting, I must say. o.o I wasn't around for last year's, but I looked back at the threads a few months ago and...uh, wow. Also, it really depends on my schedule. It looks like I might be traveling some this summer, so if I don't have access to Photoshop and the internet, I wouldn't be able to participate.

The idea of the fairytales sounds very good. :-D

Are more points given on how much effort was put into the graphic? That might be hard to judge, because I can throw together something good in 15 minutes yet work on something else for an hour and not be happy with it...anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 12:55 am 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

PD.. there are two types of judging. One with the Daily Challenges, which are going to be like normal contests, and we are probably going to adopt some for all of the graphics put in for the overall cook off.

Both of you.. we are working on how the point system will work. We are trying to think of a more efficient way to run the system so that you have to put effort in. However, the points are more rated on the average time it takes for you to make a particular graphic rather than the graphics themselves. Because, if we did each one individually.. I would probably have to pull my hair out strand by strand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 2:05 am 
Maia
Maia

How long should it last?
-I think a week worked out well last year.
-No
-I agree with Darky that it could get confusing if each person had their own thread. The only thing with having everything on one thread is that, as we started putting up lots of graphics, it could take a very long time for the whole thread to load. I did like being able to look through everyone's stuff in the same place, though.
-Hm... maybe we could make the points for different graphics a little closer together? Say, 2 or 3 points apart. *shrugs*
-I like the idea of fairy tales
-I don't have any at the moment, but I'll keep a-thinking on it.

I had a lot of fun with this last year, and I really want to do it this year, too. I'm not sure how much time for computer/internet I'll have this summer, so I may not be able to make as much or be quite as active, but for now I'll plan on participating. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 10:17 am 
Istari
Istari

I've been looking forward to this since last summer! I joined AU a little too late to participate, and I'm excited to see all of the details. I'm still a little confused about how it works, but I'll definitely be participating. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 10:19 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I think the only thing I remember that quite a few people commented on was regarding the fact that some people made tons of things while others didn't, which although that is part of the cook-off, it is slightly off balance as some of us are just slower or more fussy, or indeed just put more effort into things.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts for the moment. My memory of the cook-off is a little blurry... I just remember thinking I should marry PSP7 as I spent so much time with it. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 10:32 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Aliana and I are trying to work on that. I think we are going to put more emphasis on the Daily challenges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 10:36 pm 

Aliana Fae wrote:
Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:

What do you mean? Like...typography-based challenges, or just something to do with particular font/text[like in the font club's contest]?

Both could be good. I guess I was thinking more of like the font club. But I've just seen that people tend to do "cursive font on top, small capitals below." And I want to challenge people to break out of that and have to do something else, no matter how we go about it. Just making people go out of the comfort zone.

And yeah, emphasis on daily challenges would be good. And I liked that you had to make a certain number of each graphic too.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 11:15 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

:innocent:

I happen to be in favour of the cursive/small text font look because it looks good.... believe me... if you were sitting with me when I'm trying to get the right combination you would be amazed how I fret to get it looking OK, and you would know it's not really my comfort zone just because I use it a lot. :yes:

I'm in favour of jazzing things up... but just because some people use that effect (*coughmecough*) I wouldn't want to see something that is used a lot outlawed you know? ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next