Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobbit Reading Group
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 6:24 am 
Elf
Elf

I haven't read the hobbit for years but I'm wanting to re-read it soon, in light of the movies being made. I was thinking it might be fun to get a few people along side, and discuss it chapter-by-chapter.
Maybe I should just jump straight into it on the misc-book forum, but I'm wanting to get a feel for how many people would be interested, and if anyone would like to help promote it a little.
Let me know what you think, and any ideas you may have to make it a little more interesting. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 9:28 pm 

depending on when you get this up and going, I'd be willing to join in, been thinking about rereading them all again, just did the Silm. this summer. and can obviously help promote or set up posts as you may need, if you need any assistance...good idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 3:27 am 
Elf
Elf

Thanks for the support! We've got plenty of time before the movie comes out (only two years :P), so hopefully a few more people will show an interest.

Any ideas on how to structure things? I'm thinking chapter by chapter would be the obvious, maybe one per week?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 10:54 pm 

Keep discussing ideas for this and stay tuned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2009, 1:52 pm 

chapter by chapter would be good, maybe every two weeks for those people who only log in every week or once every couple days, so they can all join in discussions? Either way works for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 8:00 pm 
Elf
Elf

If we go too slowly people may lose interest. Also, there are 19 chapters. That would make nearly 40 weeks, which is almost a year. :P

Maybe we could split the journey up into sections, and spend two weeks on each part. Eg- Before he leaves, the journey to rivendell, Rivendell to the Mountains, and so on. If we split it into about 6, it would still take 3 months.

Or we could do a certain number of chapters per week, but take a poll on how fast people would like to read before we commence.

I'm just brainstorming, really. But I might start advertising a little, see if we can't drag a few more people over here to contribute.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 10:11 am 

Maybe have a discussion page for each chapter, and a couple different groups? Ok, I should explain:

1) A discussion page for every chapter, they can add on to *as they complete each chapter

2) An "at your own pace" thread where they can check in every Saturday or Sunday and post how much they read that week, and jump in whenever--especially newcomers.

3) Sub-groups, each with their own thread-- "week by week" reading group for those who don't have time and want to take Hobbit slowly AND a 6 part group

4) A "Help Me!" thread for when people feel stuck, confused, or just have a question they want answered.

Of course everyone be encouraged to start their own threads, but the main thread(s) could be stickied.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2009, 12:40 am 
Elf
Elf

Wow, I hadn't considered making it such a big thing! But I suppose that would actually simplify it, and make it easier for people to join in as they please.

So, aside from people just generally reading/discussing the book, there would be 2 groups reading, one moving a little faster than the other? Or just with different milestones/checkpoints at which they would stop and discuss?

Profile       WWW