Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 9:39 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I think it would be good to have something looking bad - that is part of the fun. :teehee: They wouldn't have to resemble a witch or a zombie really, just a totally ugly person.

Pumpkin carving? Although for my first pumpkin for a trial test. I love arving pumpkins... and scooping out the innards. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 10:48 am 
Maia
Maia

I’m really looking forward to the Hallowfest! :-D Although I’ll be gone from the forum for a week starting Sunday, but I hope I won’t have missed too much by the time I get back, if it’s already started by then I mean. Last year I took part a little (I couldn’t keep up very well with all the posting, hehe! :lol: But it was awesome to see the forum so active! :-D ) and I plan to try and be involved a bit more this year. I’m already thinking of aliases to use!
I’d also just like to say how wonderful I think it is that A-U holds celebrations like this – they bring the community together in such a great way. Although the site’s quiet at the moment, I really hope Hallowfest will give it a kick-start again. :-D

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 10:55 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well it looks like it's going to be from 17th-31st October again this year so hopefully you'll be able to be there for most of it. :D

I'm just glad my trip to London is the 14th, as I wouldn't want to miss the start. :D And if I take one day out of the Hallowfest to have myself scared stupid for the Halloween event at Alton Towers theme park, the Headless Horseman should be around for a while. :teehee:

I've just had a look at the old threads, and it seems we had two main topics last year, the Mansion and the Headquarters. That worked really well from what I can remember, having discussions about the killer, in a seperate place from the other conversations.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 11:54 am 
Vala
Vala

I am so excited for this. Last year's Hallowfest was probably my best memory of anything I've done on A-U since I joined. And that's saying a lot.

I agree that the length of last year was just about perfect.

I also think it would be fun to have another writing contest, and other contests too. I'm busy with University and two jobs, but evenings and long quiet hours at work will leave me with time available to participate.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 12:39 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I can hardly wait until it's Hallowfest time again. ;) The forum becomes so bubbly, mysterious, and exciting at that time, and I think AU could really use some energy right now. I'm also up for volunteer work of nearly any kind. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 12:54 pm 

Johnny's Fan wrote:

I've just had a look at the old threads, and it seems we had two main topics last year, the Mansion and the Headquarters. That worked really well from what I can remember, having discussions about the killer, in a seperate place from the other conversations.

Agreed. It kept the facts straight from speculation and random RP talk.

As for theme...hm. I like the idea of something ghoulish and Halloweeny like that. (Though the Great Pumpkin is returning for his third year.) But witches, ghosts, etc.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 1:17 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Maybe it should be ghouls then this year, which makes it more open to interpretation because it covers a variety of things.

So.. onto the contests.

Last year we had Pumpkin Graphics contest which was basially a free for all, and you could make how ever many graphics you wanted, and they'd be voted for altogether.

Would we want that for this year? Or should there be a thread for say a sig set contest and a blend contest, so it's more traditional and there won't be so many entries per person to choose for voters?

If we have seperate threads for graphics. What should we have? Should we keep it a bit more simple and say have a sig set contest with maybe 2 per person, and a blend contest, rather than blends, banners, avatars and wallpapers?

If we have the pumpkin carving contest, should it go along with the theme, or should it be open and people can carve what they want?

Should we have the traditional pumpkin contest again? Where people could draw a pumpkin themed picture? We could even incorporate the theme if that was wanted. Or would you like a general Halloween drawing contest keeping in with the theme?

Would people be willing to take a handsome looking person and try to make them look as ugly as possible?

Would people like to see some sort of writing contest? How about a poetry contest as well?

If all these are acceptable we would have:

3 graphics contests (sig set, blend, uglyfying)
2 writing contests (poetry, writing)
1 drawing contest (theme or pumpkin)
1 other (pumpkin carving)

Which to be honest, I don't think is too many to overwhelm people, but is also a nice number to keep a variety of people interested. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:53 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

If you need help running contests and whatnot, I'd be perfectly willing. =) My birthday is the 16th, and I'm not entirely sure what hubby plans to do that weekend, so I might be gone for part of the beginning weekend and the middle weekend for my sister's birthday, BUT I can almost always find time at night to post stuff.

I like the idea of doing ghouls as the theme this year. It leaves a wide spectrum for us to play with as we will and if it's too broad we can always narrow the requirements in years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 4:07 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

When you say hubby do you mean husband? :blink: I'm just just curious. :P

I'll let you know if I need any help or anything.

Well so far, it looks like a ghoulish thing would be good. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 4:37 pm 

Last year we had Pumpkin Graphics contest which was basially a free for all, and you could make how ever many graphics you wanted, and they'd be voted for altogether.

Would we want that for this year? Or should there be a thread for say a sig set contest and a blend contest, so it's more traditional and there won't be so many entries per person to choose for voters?

If we have seperate threads for graphics. What should we have? Should we keep it a bit more simple and say have a sig set contest with maybe 2 per person, and a blend contest, rather than blends, banners, avatars and wallpapers?
I dunno. I know I really like doing avatars and working on those, more so than banners. Whereas some people are the other way around. I think if you're going to make it more traditional, you could just put a limit to the number of graphics instead of limiting the kind. For instance, 3 graphics as opposed to two sig sets and a blend?

If we have the pumpkin carving contest, should it go along with the theme, or should it be open and people can carve what they want?
Well, with the theme being ghouls, it's pretty open. People are welcome to go as detailed or as simple as they want, but I think we can have be with the theme.

Should we have the traditional pumpkin contest again? Where people could draw a pumpkin themed picture? We could even incorporate the theme if that was wanted. Or would you like a general Halloween drawing contest keeping in with the theme?
Was it two separate contests? I thought it was that people could draw the pumpkin instead of carving it.

I know that with the carving, people could draw it. That's nice, since those of us without access to pumpkins or materials could still get our ideas out.

I would love to have a drawing contest with or without theme. With probably would be more in keeping with the whole thing, but just traditional drawing contests are always awesome to have.

Would people be willing to take a handsome looking person and try to make them look as ugly as possible?
I think that'd be funny :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:08 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ok, so do you think having one graphic thread might be best, with the graphics being made to include - banners, wallapers etc etc? And if as you say, someone wanted to make more avatars than banners, that a limit on the amount of graphics as a whole (instead of only 3 avatars, 2 banners etc) would give people more choice?

I just don't want to limit people to what they may want to make, but neither do I want a ton of graphic related threads, so if having a general graphic contest with say for example, a 12 graphic maximum, people can then pick and choose exactly how many of which type they want to make.

Well if the graphic contests are to follow a theme, then I guess the pumpkin carving can as well.

Unlike the pumpkin carving contest (which just happened to match last years theme), the traditional pumpkin drawing contest was themed, but I wasn't sure if people wanted a drawing equivalent of the pumpkin carving, or if they would like to be free to follow this years theme. If the drawing contest was to follow the theme, then there would be a much wider range of subjects for people to choose from.

Thanks for your input Nurr! :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:31 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

@JF:
Almost-husband. I've taken to calling him hubby because fiance just seems like too much effort and no one here [except Mika, and probably Larael] knows who on earth this 'Brian' character is. :P

Quote:
Last year we had Pumpkin Graphics contest which was basically a free for all, and you could make how ever many graphics you wanted, and they'd be voted for altogether. Would we want that for this year? Or should there be a thread for say a sig set contest and a blend contest, so it's more traditional and there won't be so many entries per person to choose for voters?

If we go with one giant thread to encompass all the graphics, we may want to limit the number of each thing someone can enter, but over-all have it as a free for all type thing. That way voters won't be completely overwhelmed but we won't be crowding the Contests section either.

Quote:

Simple is good, but I'm not opposed to themes and specifics.

Quote:

Ghouls is a pretty broad theme, but I think we should have two: one that goes along with the rest of the Hallowfest and one that's not so traditional. I really want to try my hand at some Renaissance art-turned-pumpkin carvings. :teehee:

Quote:

Again, two contests might be good here if you really absolutely want to do a pumpkin drawing contest. I'd prefer keeping to the theme on this one, though. Drawing zombies is way fun.

Quote:

Oh yes, but that may be a two-week-long contest. :P It's a lot harder than it looks!

Quote:
Would people like to see some sort of writing contest? How about a poetry contest as well?

I'm up for it, though I might not join. It would be a neat thing to do for Kit's writing prompt contest, have something to do with ghouls and whatnot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 7:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Oooo, I'm so looking forward to this... although... I'll be away on Oct 31st... which shall be tragic... but I think I'll be able to be more active than I was last year, at least. :D

Uhm, I suck at planning these sorts of things, but... if there's anything that needs to be done (that I can do... ;)), do let me know. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 7:35 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Thanks for clearing that up Aliana. ;)

Ok, so at the moment it looks like we may have these contests:

[bearing in mind Kit hasn't confirmed the theme yet but I'm just going with Ghouls for now]

Ghoulish Graphics (wallpapers, blends, avatars, sig sets, banners, bookmarks - possibly 12 graphic max for the whole contest)

Ghoulish Pumpkin Carving (keeping with the theme)

Pumpkin Carving (any subject you like)

Ghoulish Drawing (traditional art keeping with the theme)

Uglyfying Contest

- possibly a poetry contest or writing contest but that would be up to Kit.

The only contest I'm not sure about is a general traditonal drawing contest. I know that it can take a long time to draw something, so whether two contests might be a bit much for some artists I'm not sure. It would be nice to have some input of people who would enter.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 8:32 pm 

I don't think we'd need a general, just the themed one. That's my personal thought, anyway.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2009, 10:47 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Right, so it looks like, if we're all agreed, we'll have the following contests (not including anything Kit might be doing):

- Ghoulish Graphics (wallpapers, blends, avatars, sig sets, banners, bookmarks - possibly 12 graphic max for the whole contest)

- Ghoulish Pumpkin Carving (keeping with the theme)

- Pumpkin Carving (any subject you like)

- Ghoulish Drawing (traditional art keeping with the theme)

- Uglyfying Contest

It also looks like we may have sorted out the theme, but we'll need to see what Kit thinks about that.

I'll probably start the contests next week sometime if we decide to go with the ghoul theme, so it should give everybody plenty of time.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next