Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:00 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I guess that would solve/finalize a lot of problems here then eh?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:14 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I suppose it's always a possibility, Lotheh. I'm not sure how much it costs to keep AU running... but I suppose if worse comes to worst most of the members here can find each other via FB and stuff... :erm:

In regard to everything else... the way I see it is that all opinions, concerns, etc have been expressed by now. So....

:closedeyes:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:40 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ Yeah, I guess you are right.

We should just wait a few more weeks or whatever, and see what happens.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 9:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, I know this is going to be too little too late for a lot of you, and perhaps this thread has lost its relevance with the current revival underway. However, since I was on the board to contribute to the main revival thread, I read several others as well, and I owe it to you to say something here.

I am very, very sorry for my absence from A-U. I know that's not enough and that many of you have been extremely frustrated. I graduated uni back in May and have since been doing my best to work through dealing with post-grad real life ever since. (For those of you who haven't gotten there yet: it sucks. With all that's going on, A-U has honestly not been my priority.) I've had ideas on how I could update A-U, thoughts on what I could do for a new layout, but to be honest, every time I thought of how much work I'd need to do, it was all I could do not to have a panic attack.

The truth is that this is too big of a site for one person to run. The mod team has always been amazing in terms of helping with the user-side of things, but everything else has always been my domain, and frankly, it's too much. I can't be your webmissy and keep my own non-AU life going at the same time at this point.

Maybe they're empty excuses, but especially for those of you who joined A-U post-2006, please realise that prior to college, A-U was a huge part of my life, and in the early days I'd feel terrible if I didn't update every day. I had my run with it, and by now I'm too exhausted to keep that sort of enthusiasm alive. Please also realise that the internet is quite a different creature now than it was in the beginning days of A-U. YouTube wasn't even on the map, hence the disarray of the Video section. Facebook was a distant glimmer in the back of Mark Zuckerberg's mind. Software and coding standards and the internet community mindset in general have all changed, and updating everything by myself isn't something I was prepared to take on.

A-U has impacted me in more ways than most of you know. Several of the A-Uers I've had the privilege to meet are some of my closest friends now. I hope to meet as many of you as I can in real life someday, and I'll always appreciate your joining and sticking with A-U. I hope you're not too angry with me and understand the issues involved.

Thanks for reading, guys.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:27 pm 

:hug: Thanks for coming back and letting us hear from you, Arweb. It helps a lot, even just morale-wise.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 5:15 am 

Thank you for posting! :hug:
I think A-U and you have impacted a lot of us more than we even know! Why else would so many of us stay around for so many years and spend so much time and work on the site now.

It must have been a tough decision to hand over the site but we'll take good care of it.
So come visit in the future!

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 12:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thank you so much for coming by, Arweb! It's great to hear from you firsthand. :hug:

I just wanted to thank you for forming this site in the first place. This forum has come to mean so much to me, and I've met many dear friends that I never would have met otherwise. This is a wonderful place that you've created. It must be so hard to hand over your website, but as Ea said, we'll take care of it for you. :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 1:27 pm 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

So I've been just sorta lurking around reading all this and haven't really contributed much, because I feel like other members have got it all figured out/sorted (and I mean that in a good way). I don't really know what I could do to contribute but I'm still willing to help if it means getting AU back up on its feet and breathing new life into our dear forum. :yes:

Anyway, I think that all of us in different ways, love AU dearly. I know with the right management - dedicated people with wonderful leadership skills (*coughNOTMEcoughcough*) - that we'll be able to get this place going again, and hopefully attract new members. I personally, love logging onto a site and seeing that the layout has been changed and new updates have been made - but I realize some people just lose interest and no matter what you do, they don't feel like returning. So we will never get EVERY SINGLE MEMBER back again, but I think a lot of people would return if they find that AU is getting some new, fresh changes and whatnot.

And maybe we need to advertise the forum more? There have to be other LotR fans out there on teh interwebz with no knowledge that AU even exists...?

I realize this whole thing is a HUGE task to undertake, but I'm so eager to get our plans into action instead of just letting the ideas sit there without progression. And MAJOR kudos to those like Ea who have spearheaded this revival...

Thanks Arweb, for making such a difficult decision - there are plenty of dedicated members here who will see that AU gets the love it deserves.

Ok, I feel like I rambled a lot. :erm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 11:30 pm 

First, I am so, SO glad to see Arwen posting in here. After reading through the previous posts I was afraid we would never receive a reply from her. But we have, and it is greatly appreciated! :)