Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 11:10 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

You know, I was only thinking about this yesterday.

I was thinking about all our grand plans for AU... the effort Ea put into her threads... the way we all got motivated... how it brought some of us together again, just talking about what we would like to see happen.

And what did happen?

Nothing. And that is not for want of trying on our part.

And it made me mad and it made me sad. And I thought for one brief moment about packing it all in, which I have never done before.

So I think for people who say it is up to the members to keep this place alive, that is so, but there are others who should share in this responsibility as well, and if everytime we try and help someone with their load and do stuff which isn't up to us, and we're ignored..... there's definitely a "why bother" element to it.

Happy New Year AU.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 12:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I agree that this site has somewhat died, especially in the Lord of the Rings sections. I remember when it was full of life and all of the fun themes like the woodland ball. Maybe if the site got some revamping and a facebook fan page maybe it will be alive again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 1:05 am 

There is a FB fan page. Two actually. One created by Arwen and one by a fan of the site.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 1:16 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yes, my enthusiasm went west ages ago as well.

I have noticed some Mod posts around, which is nice to see. But still the white elephant here is still Arwen. Does she know what we have been talking about for weeks now? Does she have any opinions? Does she care?

Because to be quite frank, I know a lot of people are in contact with her, phone calls, FB etc etc etc, she's even visited some of you! So I don't believe for one minute that she is not aware of what we would like to see happen around here, which makes this even worse. Because all she would have to do is spend 5 minutes on ONE post, and I think most of us would be delighted and satisfied that she actually wants AU to be the best it can be, the same as we do.

But even that has not happened, so it's hard for me to judge these small contributions with anything but sceptism, that it's too shut us up, and eventually AU will go back to how it was.

Sorry but that's how I feel. I hope I am wrong though.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 3:23 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Umm, if I may...

the only thing I'm thinking is what do you guys expect Arweb to do? Really? She's just one person. True, the founder but... still. Make a new layout? That might jack up enthusiasm for a short short time but really... she could post around, take up her time doing that... but... what will that do? Yes, it'll make everyone feel better to at least know that they are noticed and that their concerns are heard but... that's all. :erm: That really can't jack personal enthusiasm and keep it jacked, IMHO.

Really, it comes down to the members (and I know I'm not one to talk ;)). Back when I first started Arweb wasn't on much either... in fact, I think she has only come on a handful of times since I've been here. No, what kept the site new and exciting when I was new was the sheer amount of posting members. There were tons of people, tons of topics, tons of things to be talked about. And the reason I semi-left was the fact that there just wasn't anything to post on anymore. And there still isn't to be honest. The RPs are my loves and they keep the site fresh and active to me but beyond that... members just aren't posting like they used to. And what has happened to that? Well, people are busy. They grow up. College, work, relationships, RL friends, etc. And people won't and can't give those things up to help a forum... as sad as that is. And we can't really expect Arweb to give all that up either. The best bet would be to get members back which I know has been tried. I joined the FB fanpage (both actually) and I see tons of people saying "I remember you!" or "good times!" but no one really wants to come back... :confused: so until that is remedied I don't know what miracle Arweb can honestly do...

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 6:55 pm 

I really feel for both sides of the problem. I too think it's sad that Arwen didn't give a sign of life or appreciation about what we are trying to achieve. It really is, because we have some amazing members who have and still are putting so much time and effort in organizing events for this site and its revival and I can understand that that enthousiasm will go to waste if it's not appreciated by those who are kind of in charge. That shouldn't happen! We shouldn't say like 'hey lets just leave because no one gives a damn'. I think alot of us are commited to this site, and I hope members will not leave because Arwen hasn't posted anything yet.

Like PDie said, I don't think that just the reappearance of the founder of the site will make it like it used to be, but it will certainly contribute. It will contribute to the spirits of the members to revive the forum and the site, and hopefully with joined efforts of Arweb, the mods and the members we can make this forum flourish again..

Because honestly.. how can we revive this place and make old members return when even Arwen doesn't answer to our call?

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 7:17 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I agree Will, but I have to say, as we have discussed on other threads at great length, it is not all about the forum but the main site as well. How many new members have we had lately? How many have said "I was looking at the site and saw a forum and thought I'd join..."

How long has it been since that has happened? Generally, new spanking forum or no, older members will do what they want with the time they have. I think most of us have come to accept that we will never have the same bustling community that we once did....

BUT we are not allowing ouselves to have a NEW bustling community with room for our oldies to come and go as they please KNOWING it's actually alive and kicking. [because let's be honest... if we all KNEW everyday we lurked there would be new posts in interesting topics... wouldn't we FIND the time to post more?]

In the next few years of Hobbit-dom, there is so much we should be looking forward to... but apart from keeping this place EXACTLY as it is at the moment.... ticking over.... there is very little we members can do until we know exactly what the score is... i.e... is AU going to be left in 2008 or whenever it was that anything was done to the site... or is it going to flourish like it once did?

Because like a lot of people, I'm prepared to help as much as I can in anything I can do, but if it's going to be for nothing, then I'd rather know now.

And no one is expecting Arwen to post around again, as she never really posted that much anyway, but a little sign would be really good for morale.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 7:29 pm 

Yes, you're right JF. Arwen is kind of essential for revamping the main site, and to be honest.. If it wasn't for the main site, I wouldn't be here as well.. ;)

I'm just hoping that noone will leave because of Arwen's inactivity. I also hope that Arwen will leave a message soon, because I think we all appreciate some dialogue concerning this site, especially since now the efforts are a bit one-sided.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 7:59 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

Well, you guys have got to remember that the reason this site was so bustling for the time that it did was the popularity of LotR, due to the movies. Because old members were neglecting the site long before now, but it didn't matter as much because there were always new people interested. Hopefully the Hobbit will do something to revive it. I don't think Arweb coming back will really do anything for the site, except make us oldies feel better about it. :D I do agree though that's it's frustrating. Because it is.

However, I'm not going to give up on the site, because I really enjoy the people that have been here before and are still around fighting for it. It's still a good time, so long as you don't get depressed by the lack of specific Lord of the Rings life.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 8:21 pm 

Tar-Dis wrote:
...so long as you don't get depressed by the lack of specific Lord of the Rings life.

There's the problem, I think. The reason old members aren't posting isn't necessarily due to the forum itself being bad, but people's interests move on. I don't love the same things I loved a year ago, much less five years ago when I joined AU. That's just the way it is. Interests change, and when you're no longer interested in something there's no motivation for you to post in a forum focused around it. I know I don't go here for LotR discussions anymore. Sad, maybe, but that's how it is. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 8:33 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I know my own interests have not moved on from LotR - but there's also the possibility that Arweb's might have. Which is why she doesn't appear to be too keen on returning.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 9:07 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ Which is perfectly fine. @yes:

But the discussion is not so much the reason why, or how or what we want.... we all said what we wanted and nothing much has happened.

TBH, if Arwen doesn't want to post on AU... that's fine. That's not what this is about either.

Some of us simply want to know IF our ideas and hopes and wishes are either

a) useful to Arwen and AU
b) practical and can be put to use
c) a good idea generally
d) or totally useless as no one will ever do anything with them

We can deal with the why's and how's later... at the moment I feel there is a more bigger, pressing "IF" hanging over AU, and it depresses me as I am sure it does for other people.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 9:40 pm 
Istari
Istari

Okay, I hate to be the bringer of doom and depressing thoughts but... Is anyone starting to get the fear that one day, possibly soon, Arwen will just not bother making the domain payments anymore and A-U really will be dead? Because I'm starting to get the feeling that it's highly possible.

It's twisting on a thread

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:00 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I guess that would solve/finalize a lot of problems here then eh?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:14 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I suppose it's always a possibility, Lotheh. I'm not sure how much it costs to keep AU running... but I suppose if worse comes to worst most of the members here can find each other via FB and stuff... :erm:

In regard to everything else... the way I see it is that all opinions, concerns, etc have been expressed by now. So....

:closedeyes:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:40 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ Yeah, I guess you are right.

We should just wait a few more weeks or whatever, and see what happens.

Profile       WWW