Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Really A-U? Really?
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 10:11 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

You know, I was actually planning on becoming more active here now that the Holidays are over and I have a bit more time on my hands but I might as well just call it quits.

It's not the fact that Arweb hasn't been here in the Gods know how long or that out of all the 324349320932 moderators only a handful (if that) show up once in a blue moon. Really, it's not that. I can understand if people are busy. I'm not holding it against ya.

What peeves me though is the recent decision to move all game/list-like threads to the Miscellaneous Randomness sub-forum. It was the LotR games that kept the Completely Miscellaneous LotR forum alive, it was the music games that kept the music forum alive and so on. Just because you take the threads of a "spam-like nature" out of a sub-forum doesn't mean it's all of a sudden going to burst with insightful debates or discussions. We've already had all of those. Years ago. You can only debate the existence of the Balrog's wings for so long.

This move has in essence given me nothing to do on A-U when it comes to playing games as I don't post in the Miscellaneous Randomness section. It's not that I'm out to up my post count, it's not the number that's important. What it comes down to for me is not getting post credit for your contribution to the forum. Even if you're posting in games, you're still contributing to the activeness of that sub-forum and it should show.

And that we now have to "post with content" if we want to contribute to the "What are you listening to" thread? Just... WHAT?! It's a "what are you listening to" thread. When has a "what are you listening to" thread EVER had to include anything more than just the basic information of what you're listening to, on ANY forum?!

I don't see how this is going to make the forum more active or bring back old members. If anything, it's making this oldie want to leave for good.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Agreed. I see no reason to cease the time-honoured tradition of posting simply the song and the artist.

"Have you heard this song before?" - 99.9999999% of the time I guarantee we have. Which leads to the latter question.

"Do you like/dislike this song?" - I can scarcely imagine that we would go through the troubles of posting it if we didn't like it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 1:57 pm 

I think this is an important point and I agree with you.

First of all, I really appreciate that we have finally gotten a couple of our staff members back. The people with the shiny buttons and ability to pull some strings. We have all been crying out for that, and now it's happened. :-)

But why are we not grateful and appreciative? I'm sure the moderators do only what they find is the best. And it is easy to tell that the time the moderators have spent cleaning the sub-boards over the weekend is more than has been spent over the last few years combined!

I believe the issue is... wait for it...

COMMUNICATION

... or lack of good communication.

Everything the staff has been doing is to maintain the forum according to the Rules clearly stated by Arweb in the Beginning of Time. That is their job.

However, I think things have changed from a very staff-driven board to an almost entirely member-driven board. The members have taken on them to independently run more and more activities and events, starting with the Members Awards, Return of the Rings, forum balls, helping out with Hallowfest, create the Graphics Makers cook-off, Secret Santa etc.
We have all grown, we have all matured, and most of us adhere to the rules without even thinking of them anymore - even to the point where we show fellow members and newcomers the desired A-U behaviour. :-)

A lot of members have contributed in great and inspiring ways with the Revival of A-U these past months and I can say for me at least, I felt a re-newed PASSION and love for this forum because I felt a certain ownership in a way (and yes, it's a buzzword.. sorry), because it seemed like we could actually DO something.
We could Be the change we wanted to se happening...

But I admit I was slightly disappointed with the way the staff has translated our wishes. I felt it was too rushed and even though a lot of good things have been done, like a bit of clean-up and un-sticking of ancient threads it still felt like someone was re-decorating the house I'm living in wthout me having any say in it. Some of the changes I like, but some of the colours on the walls are wrong.. or at least takes time to get used to. /metaphor

This is why I believe there is a COMMUNICATION issue. The forum was never democratic from the beginning. Arwen made that very clear and we all knew it really was more like a caring dictatorship!! ;-)
However, over the years it has moved towards a democracy in the way member-based events have been run. People have discussed back and forth in the planning groups and have reached agreements. It is leaning towards democracy. And like in the real world, this is what makes things fun and worth getting involved in - PARTICIPATION. This way the planning might be equally as fun as actually presenting and carrrying out the event. Even the planning becomes a social activity with fellow members and a way of interacting.

This is my analysis of the situation. I do not claim to have any answers or solutions to the situation and you guys may interpret it differently. :)

Thank you.

Oh, and to address the actual topic. I agree that the game threads sometimes were the only activity in a sub-forum for days. And yes, I understand that it is spam but as long the spam is restrained to certain threads I don't mind it. I have used the game threads a lot and usually made at least one or two posts every day when browsing through the sub-forums. AND when I browsed said sub-forums, I MIGHT FEEL INSPIRED TO POST IN THE DISCUSSION THREADS TOO. <-- Important point. :P
When browsing the main page of the forum I would never feel like posting anything in a sub-forum where I could see that the last post has been made a month ago, but the game threads helped keep many sub-forums somewhat alive. And that is a quality too.

EDIT: THANK YOU, whoever deleted all the spam accounts!!! :D

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 2:46 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Wow, Ea. That was an awesome post. *applauds*

I think, personally, the IDEA of even having to DISCUSS what TV show I just saw is just absolutely stupid (sorry) just so I have posted more than one line.

How long have we had the TV/film/music/book threads now? 2 days? How long have mods been participating in such threads as well as members? 30 minutes? It's not like this "problem sprang up overnight!

I for one, am not prepared to add more than "Judge Judy" to my latest TV viewing post - if no one knows the show I am on about or cares, what is the point of my discussing it? Or at least giving a synopsis.

In these time-strapped times, knowing I HAVE to post more for something as simple as "what was the last TV show you saw" is only going to make me want to not post at all. Thereby, less people posting on AU. Not good.

And whilst I don't participate in the games too much, if I do have free time, or I wander into the Film/TV forum for example, at least I know it is there and I guess for some of you (like Ea) it might even encourage you as you are already in that sub-forum, to stick around and see what else is new.

We have had these grievences in the past, regarding communication and such things, but even I, am struggling to remember it being over something so small, and yet, if you think about it, a very silly reason to (as it seems to me anyway) suddenly decide that all the posts that stated "The Dark Knight" were without content.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 3:19 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Fantastic thread Eru - and I agree with everything that's been said by everyone.

I'm honestly not surprised that this happened to be honest. The last time the mods decided to shuffle things around, didn't something similar happen? I recall us all being scolded at for "assuming" that this forum runs on democracy and being told that whatever decision is made by Arwen is what goes because it's her forum and she can do whatever she wants with it. This is true. However, it does seem unfair that those who are most involved and passionate about this site have no right to contribute in decisions made. Especially since the mods are currently claiming that "you, the members, have showed increased maturity". Really guys? Then stop feeling the need to herd us around, and nag us to "post with content". We're not spammers - these threads have all been this way ever since the forum was opened - even in the old forum - and they are also this way on EVERY OTHER FORUM on the internet that contains games/threads like these.

Post count isn't something that matters to me at all - but as has already been stated, it gives members a sense of involvement and makes us feel that maybe there's hope for the forum. A lot of members come on regularly just to play these games - that's where your traffic's at mostly. These threads are the busiest on a dead forum like this, and moving them into a subforum that makes it redundant whenever you post takes away any incentive at all to post there. Not because we're greedy for the post counts, it's because it's essentially "Hey, keep posting here. Not that you're making a contribution or anything, and your post really doesn't matter. But come again."

Sorry mods, but it's tough to give "positive suggestions" regarding this ridiculous change. Telling us repeatedly how mature we are will not make us kiss your feet and tell you that the decision was a good one - because it wasn't and we're all against it. Sorry to rain on your high and mighty little mod parade.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 5:40 pm 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

So I came back to AU after a few drunken nights over the hols to see there's been some changes. But I echo the 'Really? Really?' sentiment because...seriously what the hell?

"Post with content" umm there's no need to go on about if you like a song. If we're listening to it, I think it's a pretty safe bet to make that we....-gasp- DO like it. That's only the tip of the iceberg quite frankly.

And the lack of Arwen does bother me because as the Admin of the site and the forum it's her job to look after it. Yes, delegating to Moderators is great...when there actually here that is. Imagine being a newcomer to the site and then realising that there's hardly any staff members around. It does not give off a very positive view of the site when the Staff can't be bothered to be around either and yes I know people have real life stuff. Guess what...we all do and yet some of us still manage to make regular appearances.

The apparent lack of concern from the person who is the head of the site is very disheartening and it's quite obviously having an affect on the forum in general. No-one's being unreasonable to ask for a show of support or at least acknowledgement that we actually mean something. It's not too much to ask for a sign that she still cares. Because if the owner doesn't care...why should anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 5:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I guess that this will probably be one of my last posst concerning this and the very recent events on AU, as it's all going around and around.

I have read and re-read the AU Mod post ( http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=21113 ) and I would just like to say this. (You're probably going to hate me for this and wonder when you will do anything "right" that members will like....but whether you like it or not, this is your fault and any "flak" you do receive, if you were us, you would say the exact same things)

I find the phrase "loyal members" to be extremely patronising, especially because of it's overuse and then even more so when at the end of it, you do you're own thing and we have to lump it.

Quote:
That's why threads like that have been moved there. Regardless of how individuals feel about them. It's our job. We don't make the rules. Arwen does.

I also find the sudden concern over "post with content" rule to be quite odd - while I agree that some occassions (example: what did you do today? Breathed) probably could do with beefing up a little, it is bloody annoying that threads which everyone knew when they first started would contain lists of happenings, watchings and not much else, were all fine and dandy for many years and have now been relegated to the unknown forum that is Misc. Randomness, a place where only those who know where it is, can find it and use it. I cannot honestly believe that there is one person on here who gives a fig anymore for post counts - if we can just get by and post a few times a week that is enough I am sure - BUT if for nothing but convenience sake (we are all older and more scatty than we used to be.. somethings should be made easier for the elderly amongst us).. the moving of all the games to an area no one goes near..... please tell me how that is helping anyone at all? It's the rules.. ..... Ok, fine. You stick to that.

Quote:
Please realize that we are adults now. Some of use are married with children, or have full-time jobs. Some of us are still in college. This is one job that can take hours of time, receive very little thanks, lots of flack, and no monetary compensation.

Yes, well it is no picnic for us either. When we're being ignored, patronised or just hobbling around AU, trying to keep it ticking. It's not all a bed of roses here you know. *sigh* The greatest thanks you guys get is either expressed when AU runs smoothly or when we physically say it (which isn't that infrequent you know, but when you're not around....). And as for the flak... well that happens... difference is YOU can do something about it. We get a very different type of flak which basically clears the crowd and ties our hands behind our backs.

So that's it, I have said my piece. I'm sorry if you think we're all being bolshy and disrespectful. But to be perfestly honest - we have been through all this before. You should have known how we react each time something like this happens. We also should have known something like this would happen again. But I, in my innocence, hoped next time we would be consulted - just the same we have been trying to consult you about many things concerning AU.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 6:02 pm 

I think I can only agree to all that has already been said:
I think that this community is absolutely awesome when it comes down to posting with content. Everyone usually posts quite long posts, often great content. There's hardly any mindless rambling or fangirling (compared to other forums), barely any one-word posts and even on the rare occassion when there are disputes, they are solved quickly, in a mature way. For a long time there haven't been any active mods around here (except for Kit) but did we abandon the rules in the mean time? Like Eä already mentioned, most of us follow the rules without even thinking of it, and in this time without mods, the members tried to keep AU going.

So I do not understand this detached and condescending message of more content and enforcing rules. I think we indeed deserve some more communication than just this post telling us that we've been good kids but that we still need to follow the rules.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 7:04 pm 

There is something terribly wrong here. :'(

It looks like a repetition of past events. I wasn't around much when we had the past Changes of the forum because I was on exchange but we all ought to have learned from those events, members as well as staff members. And nothing fruitful comes out of bickering over words or the current situation. :argue:

I believe we are all frustrated and sad about the current state of affairs. Members for not being listened to, moderators for not being understood. I understand why the mods are frustrated for being yelled at when they finally come back to work here. I understand why the members are frustrated about the sudden changes.
We're all just humans, we have feelings... and we need to be appreciated and respected - and loooooved! :hug:

But do we not all work for a common goal and want the same thing, one way or the other: A busy, active and thriving forum? :trampoline:
[rhetorical qustion]

Many of you - of us - have mentioned that we might as well just give up, that we can't fight this undeserving battle anymore, and yet we still fight. :karate: (Alright, so this pep-talk wasn't written in Hollywood and I'm not Mel Gibson in Brave Heart.. oh well...)

This situation is more critical than ever in the history of A-U. Can we not start from scratch, from ground zero and build a new forum, rise from the ashes like Phoenix (umm the bird, not Raivynn :P) etc. etc. :x:

We need to communicate... we need to tear down the wall between us and stop talking about "us" and "them" - we are all "us" :headwall: (Alright, too much The Wall here?)
If people didn't care so much we wouldn't even have this situation, then people wouldn't even bother to write out these lenghty, well-articulated posts. But we do care, the members and the staff as well. :wave:

We just need to talk to each other. :speech:

[cue epic music and fade to black]

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 7:56 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

As a toss out, I agree with you all, but I don't think the mods meant to be condescending. The announcement was, perhaps, poorly worded and might have come across as condescending, but to me it sounds like they know we're about to explode and are trying to make peace with us.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well this will definitely be my final say on this matter - if I can't grouch here about everything then what's the point.

My comments: Once again something has happened which members do not like, were not consulted on, and it's been made pretty darn clear there will be no halfway solution, or even an olive branch extended. While we [members] feel like we are *trying* to the best we can for the forum with the little we can, it feels like it is not appreciated (which isn't why we are doing it) and somehow overturned by what the Mods are doing (which isn't what we wanted).

Suggestions: Next time anything is planned that people know is going to upset people, cause people to post less, discourage people from coming onto AU, and basically cause grief that we don't really need as there is enough to contend with as it is..... perhaps a discussion.... a little yay or nay post might be the polite and headache free thing to do?

@ Ea - I'm not sure if that is a rhetorical question and whether it is right to assume it is an "us" and not "we" and "them". The Mods have always been "them" simply because "they" can do things, make decisions and change AU anyway "they" see fit when "we" cannot. So for that reason alone, it has been easier to seperate Mods and members in posts. However, sometimes there are other reasons....

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 2:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmmm. I honestly didn't notice the change of threads, most likely because I don't go to those sections of the forum very much. I do think the now required "post with content" thing is a bit silly, given that people who post in that thread are also very active in other sections of the forum. However, I mostly comment on what I'm listening to or what I've seen anyway, so it doesn't affect me much. :)

I feel like we're starting a mini-war against the mods, and this is NOT a good idea. After reading their post, I didn't get the idea that they were being condescending. I think they're frusterated, sure. But they specifically made a point to thank us for maturing and keeping A-U alive all these years. I'm trying to put myself into the mod's shoes, and I think there's nothing wrong with what they're doing. They're doing all that they can without Arweb herself directly coming in and making changes the changes we asked for. They're trying to clean up A-U a bit, and even though some of us may not agree with what they're doing, at least they care enough to still work on the site. I mean, we wanted the mods to come back, right? :-D

I definitely think that more communication between the members and the mods would be a good idea for future changes. I know I'm feeling a bit upset that Arweb hasn't shown her Internet face here in a long, long time and didn't at least post once to directly tell us that she heard us, but I'm thankful that part of the administration is here trying to help us out. :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 3:46 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

SilverRose wrote:
I feel like we're starting a mini-war against the mods, and this is NOT a good idea. After reading their post, I didn't get the idea that they were being condescending. I think they're frusterated, sure. But they specifically made a point to thank us for maturing and keeping A-U alive all these years. I'm trying to put myself into the mod's shoes, and I think there's nothing wrong with what they're doing. They're doing all that they can without Arweb herself directly coming in and making changes the changes we asked for. They're trying to clean up A-U a bit, and even though some of us may not agree with what they're doing, at least they care enough to still work on the site. I mean, we wanted the mods to come back, right? :-D

^ditto those sentiments. I cannot help but remember the last mod-member war here and... I do not want to go through that again 'cause it caused some members to leave (which we definitely do not need!) and it caused hard feelings all around. And I personally don't think the forum ever quite recuperated from it.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 4:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

*ok, I lied I'm back*

^ I don't believe that is true at all. I think some are reading too much into this, and there is a risk of creating something that is not there to begin with.

Whether people like it or not, the Mods have done things that it seems, a good few of us do not like. And whether some people like it or not, opinions, comments, rants and suggestions have been posted. Perhaps not always phrased like Granny would, but never the less, I'm not aware of any vile language, personal insults or people with banners saying "Mods are evil".

So I would most respectfully suggest, people read the critiscms and suggestions, comments and also the frustrations, and instead of picking out supposed "Mod-war" comments (and I am not denying somethings were said out of frustration) and either contribute to those discussions or not at all.

Because I for one, do not appreciate the idea that things in this thread have the basis for a "Mod War" (what the hell was that anyway, does anyone truly remember or did we tag a name onto something that wasn't anything anyway?) - there are a lot of legitimate concerns that were voiced here, and whether some people refuse to see it or can't see it - our concerns are not entirely unfounded.

So yeah, that's it. What's a Mod War? :whistle:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 4:57 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

The whole case of "Censorship Causes Blindness" essentially equaled Mod War, if anyone remembers, that is. And it also started out just a little like this. ;) Honestly, I understand the concerns and opinions. I sympathize with some of them. But... I just don't want things to turn ugly (because even with the best intentions sometimes they can... and fast - especially on the inet, it seems). That's not why I returned to AU over my winter/Christmas break.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 5:24 pm 

I believe it's no ones intentention for that to happen. :) The whole CCB thing was a complete different situation. :yes:

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.