Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elrond's Library and spring cleaning of the forum
PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm 

So now that we have an actual archive section we should probably talk about how to use it and what to put there.
I'm referring mainly to The Forbidden Pool (Thread Archive) by the way.

In my opinion we should use The Forbidden Pool for threads that are deemed keep-worthy for nostalgia or because they make up a part or A-U history but how should we set up criterias for keep-worthiness?

Also, with the Revival and the make-over of the site and with so many new members joining again we should look at doing a spring summer cleaning. The Mod Team has already started to tidy up a bit but we need to discuss what to do with all the old and ancient threads started by people who haven't.. many of them haven't had new posts since 2007 or 2009. Should we lock them, or delete a few of the very old and redundant ones so people can start new threads if they want to discuss the topics?

And a last question that I just wanted to throw out there even though it probably deserves a dedicated discussion of its own. What can we do to breathe live into the once so prosperous sections like the Contest section or the Clubs section? We might want to focus our forces on the main site for the time being but I think it's worth to brainstorm it at some point.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: Elrond's Library and spring cleaning of the forum
PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 2:18 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think the moderators, or whoever is in charge of moving threads to the Forbidden Pool, should take things one subforum at a time. I think there's going to be some threads that will obviously be moved there because they haven't been posted on in so long. however, I think perhaps the members could vote on which more recent threads will be kept in the subforum, and which will be moved to the Pool. it might sound complicated, but I think it's a good idea to take things one at a time so everything is worked out smoothly.
I like the idea of this cleanup and neatening :)
for the deleting of threads, I would delete the very old ones and maybe move some around that would better belong in a different section.

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

Quote:
And a last question that I just wanted to throw out there even though it probably deserves a dedicated discussion of its own. What can we do to breathe live into the once so prosperous sections like the Contest section or the Clubs section? We might want to focus our forces on the main site for the time being but I think it's worth to brainstorm it at some point.

I know a few things that may be stagnating the Clubs section are: the current need for permission to create new clubs, and the clubs started and joined by people who aren't really around - so the club just looks dead.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 4:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I agree, you guys need to take it one step at a time.

There are a lot of good threads in the Your Life forum but from aaages ago. Things that I think, if we bumped them, there would be news posts for. So instead it would make sense to delete the threads you guys think would be popular if it was re-started. I know you're not creating more space per se, but that would be part of the revival I guess.

With the clubs, I think you need to go through it with a hatchet. There are, far too many clubs set up by people who are no longer around and are not available to add people who want to join. Maybe re-starting afresh, or closing the club and making it available to someone who wants to start one in the future. But there are also a ridiculous amount of clubs for stuff that is either a) very limited appeal or for just... stuff Kit said "yes" too. Maybe looking at the popularity factor is a way to decide whether a club should be closed/deleted/archived and that will leave more room for popular ones, things that would be popular if more people could find them and space for totally new stuff as well.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 4:48 pm 

Yup, it's a good idea to work on one section at a time.
With the Clubs.. agreed, most of them are long dead and outdated.. However, I don't think the need to ask permission to make new clubs is what is holding people back. There hasn't been a request for a long time. Also, many of the clubs and the discussions live on even though the founder is no longer around (like the Gentlewoman's Society.. and I don't think the British Society has been updated lately either), but I agree that the sheer amount of dead-ish clubs are not very welcoming.
Hmm.. would it work to post an announcement there saying that people can create new clubs or re-start already existing ones? Then we can keep Kit's beautiful and very organised club threads for nostalgia (I think there are too many threads to send to the Archives. :P)

But the overall question is whether we really need to lock/archive/delete a lot of threads throughout the forum? True, some boards have like.. 16-20 pages of old threads but since most people only look one or two pages back (well, that's what I do at least! :teehee:) perhaps we can just leave the threads as they do no harm?
But I admit I would like to see some kind of order and neatliness to prevail.. I just really don't know how to.. I mean though deleting/archiving everything would give each board a much cleaner look the old threads still belong to each board because they are A-U history!! :)
But the boards are also very different.. perhaps we should just take it board by board and start a general thread and the people who use the board and has an opinion on it could discuss what action needs to be taken? But I know we tend to discuss everything to Valinor and back.. but this is the only solution I can think of.. since each board is so different...

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 5:02 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The truth about the club section is that right now there are something like three clubs that are active. So we need to do something drastic there. I think some of the really ancient clubs should go. The ones that haven't been active since 2008-2009 aren't likely to become active ever again. And very few people go beyond page 4 or 5 to look for a club. Most probably stop at 1 or 2.
However. There is the nostalgia bit to it. The clubs were a really big part of the forum and I think we should do everything we can to keep them from dying.

So that's my opinion. Eä, I heard something about tea and cookies? :teehee:

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 7:33 pm 

Just a general statement - I moved the family tree threads to the archive forum and posted a thread in the Misc Randomness board for discussion. However, discussion on that can definitely happen here. I guess the question I'm asking is whether, once a thread is moved to the archive, it should be locked or not?

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 11:09 am 

^Yes, IMHO. :-)
I don't think the archive section should be for active threads.. but a place for reminiscing old days when you feel nostalgic.

Right Ana... I might have dropped a word on that... :teehee:
*hands out cookies*
Tea's coming up!