Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bots
PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 10:42 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Thanks for getting ahold of her Aredhel, and thanks to you Will for taking care of it. :D Much appreciated!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 4:27 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Got another couple bots on the boards.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=23136&p=1257901#p1257901

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 8:13 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

...and another... trying to quote an old post...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14&start=208

It appears the spammerbots have found this place. They almost brought down TORC a few weeks ago, and th eonly reason they didn't was because of one single active mod there who worked very hard to get rid of the spam. They seem to leaving that place alone, but I fear that without active moderation here, this place will soon be clogged with this crap.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 8:31 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Was that “Azgard07” in “Forum Matters » Parth Galen (Polling) » How did you find Arwen-Undomiel.com?” yesterday?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 9:45 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, they always come in waves from time to time. I don't know why. I will tag a mod on facebook and let them know we have been having issues. Maybe we can get one to come on and deal with the issue.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 9:03 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I have noted that a new name with similar construction has been registering every day for the last few days. The web url they are using is similar. I believe these new registrants are 'sleeper' bots that will wait and not be heard from until they are. A similar thing happened on TORC a few months back and when they did start up, they almost brought the site down. There was one mod struggling to keep up, and finally when the bots managed to corrupt the site code, it went offline for about a week until the site admin/owner reworked the front end. Hoping this doesn't happen here, but the pattern so far is the same.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on May 17th, 2018, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 4:15 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Loverly.... :/

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 10:27 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I notice this latest influx seems to be names with no space or capitalization.
Maybe they were clued in and threw a couple capitol letters in.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 12th, 2017, 2:08 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The Internet seems plagued by an increasing number of bots, worms, Trojans, and viruses; notwithstanding all of the hacking issues: and the general user has minimal protection.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2017, 6:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Oh what an exciting time to be on a site with no supervision, hierarchy, or security measures from a moderated base of sound minded individuals... o_O

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 3:47 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
Oh what an exciting time to be on a site with no supervision, hierarchy, or security measures from a moderated base of sound minded individuals... o_O

Lol, yeah, kindalike free ranging in a ghost town. I'm striving to keep up the RP archiving, and I have structured a new board to take over should this place ever go down the toilet.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 5:51 am 

Hanasian wrote:
Jax Nova wrote:

Lol, yeah, kindalike free ranging in a ghost town. I'm striving to keep up the RP archiving, and I have structured a new board to take over should this place ever go down the toilet.

Hey guys,
I understand that it must be frustrating that some issues cannot be resolved here as good or as quickly as on busy, good running message boards. Sadly, for now you're stuck with just me and it's hard not to take these comments above as criticism. AU is not as popular anymore as it was in the past and a lot of its loyal members have moved on and so have its moderators. Like for you all, RL is extremely busy and stressful now and then and I just don't have the time to spend more time here as a mod than I do now. So please bear with me.

What I can do is message the other retired mods and Arweb to discuss how to handle security issues on the board. Also, it might be possible to appoint a new mod, who does have time to get things done.

For now, I will keep an eye on the new members and delete all those who appear to be bots and contact the other mods.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 10:40 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I am certainly grateful that you still take time to handle issues on the site, Will. And at least superficially, I can understand that mods may not have the necessary rights to fix all kinks that a site may develop. On CoE, at least three of the most active members are also mods, but not administrators, I believe (this would be someone with more extensive rights?). The site owner there has not been around for quite a long time, but then the site has not been shut down either – something like the situation here, I believe?

I’m a late-comer to Internet access on my private computers, so what I have heard or mostly read about “old days” is second-hand, if not third- or even more removed. One impression that has stuck with me is that many users have a bit of a freebie mentality – from times (by now often long ago?) when their colleges and universities provided much “free” access to computing of any sort. Included in the tuition fees or other financial resources of these institutions of learning, of course (my very ancient history in computing includes time-sharing on Honeywell mainframes, with the terminals, besides the green script on a black background small cathode ray tube monitors, also included telex machines! Yep, paper printers!). In whatever sense one may have cause to criticize Milton Friedman and his ilk for – and there is plenty – at least he repeated a very ancient piece of wisdom: “There ain’t no free lunch.”

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 10:29 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

:erm: The reality is the sites that sprang up in the early-mid '00's have for the most part either shut down, announced or unannounced, or been mostly abandoned in place by the owners, etc. The hand full of boards still around seem to have a half dozen to a dozen regularish users, with some, like me, on more than one. I was an early adopter of Tolkien message boards on the net in the '90's, and I'll be one of the last using the medium. For what its worth, I do like the stability of the board platform here, and will stick with it to the end (or until I'm banned). As for my archiving, I have invested a bit into the RP part of this place, and wish not to lose the creative work of myself and others should this place cease to exist suddenly. I thank the benevolent owners/bill payers in absentia for keeping this place up and running. I have noted the Donation link on the main page still appears to be active, but I am loathe to donate if the benefactors of the donations don't have time in life to drop in here.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on May 17th, 2018, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 21st, 2017, 9:59 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I understand Will, Inreally do. I’m sprry if it came across as critisism. It’s more bemoaning the reality of the situation, honestly.

In times past I hd asked if there was any way a new mod could be appointed who had the time to do what needs to be done and was told that there was no need. I know you still come around once in a while, and I honestly donappreciate the fact that you reaponded here and habe even watched close enough to know what is going on. So, thank you.

I won’t lie... at times I do get frustrated and/or saddened by the fact that not more mods (and people in general) stick around. It’s hard to make the site appealing to newcomers if the owner can’t update the main page and such things.

This place has just been a really big part of my life and I hate seeing it go downhill. I had even messaged Arweb about possabilities of pichinh in on costs and such things if she needed to put money into updating and re-establishing the structure of the website and forum, but each time I messaged (asside from once) I never got a reaponse... :/ So it just kind of feels hopeless to improve the place, and yet I’m not ready to just back off and say goodbye...

I’ve tried to find new forums, other places to call my “internet home” or such... there just isn’t another place quite like this and nowhere else I have found have I been able to settle in as comfortably as I did here.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 6:16 pm 

Thanks for your words, guys. My mistake to take it personally. Like I said, I understand where you are coming from. Anyway, I deleted ten bots or so that joined over the past year. If you spot another one, please PM me like Gandolorin last time. I will be more likely to notice that. :)
Also, I'm gonna try and see if we can come up with a long term fix for moderating and site maintenance. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next