Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 14th, 2024, 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Out of line?
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 12:16 am 
Vala
Vala

After being here a while, lots of members, especially the ones with thousands of posts know the rules inside and out. So when someone double posts or makes a one word post you can't help but say something. I have, but sometimes I feel out of line saying it. I'm not a mod, so I feel stupid telling other members what to do. Know what I mean? Do the mods appreciate when we do this...or is it disrupting the cycle...do you not really care one way or the other?

Just curious about what other people thought of it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 4:33 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

I feel that way too Beri... when someone I am friends with is one post posting I slap myself in the head but am too afraid to say something in fear that they will hate me or get mad or offensive. I do not know where to draw the line... :confused:

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 5:14 pm 

I can't speak for the rest of the mods but personally I think it can be quite helpful when people tell newbies that these things are against the rules. As long as it's done in a friendly way eg "btw the mods here don't like people making one word/ smilie posts" or else letting them know about the editing function.

As for members who've been here ages and know the rules I'm not so sure. You might be better PMing one of the mods about it or of course if it's someone you know well PMing them yourself. I'd rather have the odd one word post in a thread than the thread turned into a personal fight between 2 members.

So basically it depends on the circumstances :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 5:48 pm 

Elanor wrote:
I can't speak for the rest of the mods but personally I think it can be quite helpful when people tell newbies that these things are against the rules. As long as it's done in a friendly way eg "btw the mods here don't like people making one word/ smilie posts" or else letting them know about the editing function.

As for members who've been here ages and know the rules I'm not so sure. You might be better PMing one of the mods about it or of course if it's someone you know well PMing them yourself. I'd rather have the odd one word post in a thread than the thread turned into a personal fight between 2 members.

So basically it depends on the circumstances :P

I absolutely agree with Elanor, it's very helpful when a member will point out "Oh, we already have a topic like this, and here's the link" It makes it so much easier to already have a link there and not search for it, and then we can easily lock the thread without to much extra searching effort....not that I mind...but it's very helpful :-D

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 6:23 pm 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

Yes, thanks for asking, Beri. :) I've been wondering the same...it seems every other post in the Welcoming Team is one-worded, now. I've told them more than once that that sort of thing isn't allowed, but it still happens...and it's starting to become a major pet peeve of mine. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 8:26 pm 
Vala
Vala

Ooo, okay thanks Elanor, and Sidawethiel. I feel better about this now :)

Quote:
Yes, thanks for asking, Beri. Happy I've been wondering the same...it seems every other post in the Welcoming Team is one-worded, now. I've told them more than once that that sort of thing isn't allowed, but it still happens...and it's starting to become a major pet peeve of mine.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but it doesn't really bother me cause I'm hardly there :P What annoys me is when particular people do it again and again, even if you know that someone (you and others) has told them not to multiple times. It drives me nuts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2006, 4:00 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

i try not to double post... unless a thread desperately needs bringing back... and i often do short posts... but rarely one words *tries to step up post legnth... i also do too msny '...'s'

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 12:13 pm 
Maia
Maia

I don't know about other people here, but as long as it's done appropriately & with sensitivity, I don't mind being corrected. How can you fix your mistakes if you don't know them? I don't have any reason to be mad at another member if he/she is just more observant than me. :)

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2006, 11:21 pm 
Elf
Elf

I agree with Elanor and Sid. Its helpful to us, makes our lives easier, especially the linking to pre-existing threads. If you notice a reoccuring problem in one member in particular (such as many one-word posts), please PM a mod, so they can PM the member. This way, people are less likely to be offended. But please just be curteous and not condescending when reminding a fellow member of the rules... and if they get angry from a polite reminder, its their issue, not yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 17th, 2006, 9:31 am 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

Bellethiel wrote:
If you notice a reoccuring problem in one member in particular (such as many one-word posts), please PM a mod, so they can PM the member.

Sometimes that just feels a little awkward to me...like I'm a taddle-tail. :blush:

But anyway, I shall certainly do that if it would help you guys out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 17th, 2006, 6:46 pm 
Elf
Elf

Well as long as you do it in a non-teacher's-pet kind of way, its no big deal. If it would make you feel better, when you ask someone to stop doing something, tell them the reason its not allowed (such as: its annoying, it clogs the forum, etc) rather than "don't do it, I don't know why not, but its agains the rules"

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2006, 6:10 am 

Gwen, you're not doing anything wrong by drawing things to our attention. We can't be everywhere at once. :p Does it help if you think of it like that, rather than "telling" on another member?

I agree with other mods - certainly gently pointing out rules to newbies who may not be familiar with them yet is definately a good idea. Some people just need reminding.

It's when it's a person who hasn't just forgotten or doesn't know but is breaking the rules for other reasons that mods need to be involve...

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2006, 10:27 pm 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

K, thanks Herenya. :)

Herenya wrote:
Does it help if you think of it like that, rather than "telling" on another member?

Yeah, I think that would help. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2006, 10:14 pm 

Oi! This reminds me of a time when I was hanging around the Fellowship of the Ring board and someone was posting threads and double posting in them when no one replied. I remember telling them kindly that it was against the rules to double post, and that instead they should just use the Edit button so as not to get in trouble with the dear moddies. Immediately the person replied, and I was quite taken aback when I read their one word post of:

"*cries*"

I felt terrible! All I wanted to do was help, nevertheless the person did stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2006, 3:01 pm 
Istari
Istari

Gwenneth wrote:
Yes, thanks for asking, Beri. :) I've been wondering the same...it seems every other post in the Welcoming Team is one-worded, now. I've told them more than once that that sort of thing isn't allowed, but it still happens...and it's starting to become a major pet peeve of mine. :P

The thing with the WT is, is that it's more some kind of 'common room' than a place todiscuss the best way to welcome newbies. I don't think that's a problem, but socializing brings randomness and that brings one word posts.
Most of my posts are short, but I try to avoid one word/emoticon posts.

@ Sida: And now I've seen your banner I will never make my posts as long as I can! *sobs* Poor animals..

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2006, 3:28 pm 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

Yeah, I saw your banner and was like, "Rock on, Sid!" :P

But you're right, Cuilwen. We really don't talk about welcoming at all! But it's such an awesome way to socialize and bond.