All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Would You Be Interested?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Graphic Makers Cookoff 2011 [MOAR THOUGHTS]
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 11:20 pm 

It's summer! And you know what that means...graphic makers cookoff!

What's that? You don't know what that means? How silly of me! Let me tell you more.

The Graphic Makers Cookoff is something we've been doing here the past few summers. Basically, people try to make as many graphics as they can during a certain amount of time. You can read about the planning of last year's HERE.

My questions to you are ---

Are you interested?
What would be a good time to do this year's GMC?
Should we do more than one? (In the past we did two.)

In terms of how it's being run ---

We seem to have a hard time finding judges/getting results/etc. Do we want a point system still? Or is it all about the challenge?
Keep the daily/weekly challenges?

This years GMC will be based around challenges and experimentation, trying to stretch yourself as well as making lots of graphics. We will be doing it very late July/early August.

The dates I'm thinking (as I'll be gone most of July) are July 30 - Aug 7? That would give two weekends and the week inbetween. Thoughts?

Themes! In past years we had themes, like fairy tales and around the world. The themes usually related to challenges, but if we're trying to shake people up, is that useful? Or is the theme "Challenge"? :teehee: Or perhaps a theme of Lord of the Rings, so that we can have a GMC and a Return of the Rings at the same time!

And on with the show! It would be nice to have help on ideas about challenges and things. So leave comments on that!

Questions, comments, concerns, hopes, dreams, aspirations?

Last edited by Nurrantiel Mashiara on May 31st, 2011, 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Graphic Makers Cookoff 2011
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 11:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

oooh, this sounds cool! I would be interested - not in making graphics, of course. :P I can't do a thing even though I've got the programs. :blink: but it would be kinda fun to see a ton of new graphics and so forth!

weekly challenges sound cool, because daily sounds really... difficult and stressful. but then again I'm not the artist. if I can help with other stuff though, let me know :)

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 7:42 am 
Elf
Elf

Oooh this sounds like an awesome idea :)

Are you interested?
YESSSSSS

For me personally any time between July and September as I'm travelling/examing all of June

I think this really depends on the themes and numbers of graphic makers we have, I've been away for a while, but it looks to me like theres less graphics makers than when I've been around before, and there seems to be more traditional artists :). Maybe it would be possible to do an art(traditional/digital) cook off and a Graphics maker one so more people can be involved :)

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 5:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Are you interested?
Of course :D I love the GMC, always helps me experiment/improve :happy:

July, any time or the first half of August.

The second one last year was a bit quiet was it not? I don't think we ever got the results for that one or did I miss that? :blink: If there's two, I'd join both, but it just depends on the amount of interest/conflicting dates wanted/how much extra planning it'd take.

What's a good time/good times to do it?
Isn't this the same as the second question? :P July/August. Maybe if there's two, do one at the very start of July, and then one at the start of August? Just to give a break between the two. If there's just one I'd say the middle of July.

We seem to have a hard time finding judges/getting results/etc. Do we want a point system still? Or is it all about the challenge?
Both. It's nice at the end of it to get it judged and the awards and everything, but at the same time it's not all about that and the best part is the challenge of it/pushing yourself. I say we see how many people will be willing to judge, and are available at the time and go from there. If there's no judges, maybe do it on a sort of number system? Like if you've made a certain amount overall, or the most of a specific graphic then you get an award for that. Or judging and 1st to insert number of participants here awards can just be completely scrapped and awards can be made and given just for taking part :P

Most definitely. I adore them. I mean, it depends on if anyone is willing to come up with them, but yeah. Some sort of challenges are important I think. Even if no one, or only one, person takes part, the fact that they're there to add to the challenge is awesome.

No extra questions/comments/concerns/hopes as of now. Dreams and aspirations? To rule the world with the Doctor, Merlin, Arthur, Sherlock, Topher and others, whilst flying about on Serenity... :innocent:

Unless you meant regarding this? :teehee: Nothing else as of now :D Very happy to help out with further planning though if needed.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 6:38 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Personally I'm not sure if we should have a cook-off this year, or at least this summer. Last year I spent a long time getting stuff together (but it could have been anyone's effort) and it seemed to me that really, for all the sign ups, when the time came no one was interested. You yourself Nurr, know how hard it was to get anyone to help you with judging.

Another reason for this is the revival. There are a few graphics makers who will hopefully be engaged in getting AU back up and running again, so I'm not sure how much time they will have, especially if it's going to be about speed again and not just challenges. We only have to look at last year to see how few graphics makers are around already without them being possible otherwise engaged.

So I'm really on the fence with this one... I'd like to say yes, go for it, but for me personally, first and foremost is getting AU back to what it once was, and as I can't say how long that is going to take me, and then there are others doing stuff I can't do.... so... unless it was a lot later in the year when things have calmed down.... Ok, I'm rambling now. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 7:45 pm 

Alanna wrote:
I can't do a thing even though I've got the programs.

Can't or don't? :teehee: You should totally try doing things! Plus, an activity like the cookoff forces you to try out new stuff without being worried about what a potential requester thinks! :D

Lembas wrote:
Maybe it would be possible to do an art(traditional/digital) cook off and a Graphics maker one so more people can be involved.

Glad you're interested! Regarding the traditional....I don't know about any of the other traditional artists on here, but if I had to make as many pieces as I could, I'd go crazy. :P I'm too much of a perfectionist - there'd be about 2 pieces by the end of the time! We can always ask around though, not everyone is as crazy as I am.

@Enno: So if, say, no one were to judge the challenges, you'd still want them just for the challenge of it?

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Personally I'm not sure if we should have a cook-off this year, or at least this summer. Last year I spent a long time getting stuff together (but it could have been anyone's effort) and it seemed to me that really, for all the sign ups, when the time came no one was interested. You yourself Nurr, know how hard it was to get anyone to help you with judging.

Aye, the judging. That is why I asked the question about if we still want to do points and all of that. I know that for me, personally, I don't really care. It's about the challenge of seeing how much I can make in a short amount of time. And while yes, I could do that on my own, it's more fun to be a part of a group doing it. But then there are others who want results, want to know rankings, and all that. And they may not be interested in just doing one if there's no points involved. I see what you mean about putting in a lot of effort though. I can be disheartening. But I don't think it would be a total flop. ;) We have some new folk around who like to make things, and it could be fun to get fresh blood. :vampire:

I guess what I'm kind of saying is that I'm willing to run it and put it together, if no one is too concerned about there being judging going on. :confused2:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 27th, 2011, 8:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yup. To be honest, in terms of this, when the aim is to make as much as you can/push yourself to do different things, the judging isn't really important. For contests, it's about doing the same sort of thing, and so you want it to be judged based on what others have done, but this is more like battles, making graphics just before you want to/have a reason to. When there's so many different people making so many different things just based on whatever comes to mind, it's fairly pointless to judge it, and it's pretty easy to see who's made the most of whatever.

Challenges wise, I don't really care about the judging of them either. If people are willing to, great, if not, the whole point of them is to challenge yourself, not to compete against other people. It's not actually that I don't care, because the people who do take time to judge things are awesome, but it's more that I wouldn't do them just for the chance to be judged the best at doing a particular challenge. I'd do them because they're a challenge, and it's always good to have a reason to push yourself.

I think there's enough graphics makers lurking about who might be tempted to take part. I think it'll actually be good with the revival going on, people are busy doing other things, but I remember an AU that had a buzzing graphics section, with several posts in different topics per day. With the cookoff going on, in summertime when people might have more time on their hands, could really help boost the graphics section again. I think I'm rambling now because it's late [or early depending on how you see it] here and I'm tired but yeah. I'm all for the cookoff whether there's ten people or three people taking part.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 10:31 pm 
Istari
Istari

@Johnny's Fan, I've tried doing some simple stuff on things like Illustrator and Photoshop (my mac came with some Adobe suite or something...) and I'm just not very proficient yet. :P

and Ennostiel ^, I think what you said about judging makes a lot of sense. I wasn't here for the last "cookoff", but I think it would be better if there wasn't any judging. I myself am completely awed by any sort of talented graphic artistry, and there's so much versatility that judging might take away from that. maybe there could only be a few competitions, and the rest could be done by the artists at their own leisure.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2011, 11:35 am 

If I may say something...
True, we don't have as many graphics-savvy people around these days but I think a cookoff would be a great opportunity to kickstart that part of the forum and possibly get some graphics-competitions going later on. And personally I love looking at the magic you guys work.

But would it be an idea to make it comments/feedback-based like some of you suggested in stead of focusing on competitions and judging? I know I wouldn't be able to judge it fairly because I don't have a clue about a good blending or a different kinds of textures etc. - and I'm sure a lot of people would feel like me. And the people who actually know this stuff would be you guys and you can't judge if you're in the competition.. but I'm sure you can give useful comments! :-)
And perhaps having so many great artists around would lure some people to take their first step in making graphics too...

Umm.. anyway, you probably already had that figured out but the reason I post is really that I've wanted for a long time to see different graphics.. I mean a lot of people are perfecting a certain signature style or they somehow end up making sort of the 'same kinds of graphics'... to the point where I can often tell who made a manner simply by looking at it. :P I would love to see some mash-up/crossover thingies.. like a LotR-themed banner in a film noir style or a bunch of banners with only the eyes of the characters/people or having different kinds of graphics that were all in the shade of say the colour red... Or whatever would challenge you guys. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 10:22 am 

^That stuff sounds really good!

So, to sum up what I'm getting here...

This years GMC will be based around challenges and experimentation, trying to stretch yourself as well as making lots of graphics. We will be doing it very late July/early August.

The dates I'm thinking (as I'll be gone most of July) are July 30 - Aug 7? That would give two weekends and the week inbetween. Thoughts?

Themes! In past years we had themes, like fairy tales and around the world. The themes usually related to challenges, but if we're trying to shake people up, is that useful? Or is the theme "Challenge"? :teehee: Or perhaps a theme of Lord of the Rings, so that we can have a GMC and a Return of the Rings at the same time!

And on with the show! It would be nice to have help on ideas about challenges and things. So leave comments on that!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Graphic Makers Cookoff 2011 [MOAR THOUGHTS]
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 5:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

those are really awesome dates. I won't be home almost all of June, so the July/August thing works. (not like I'll be entering - just gawking at all the entries) :P
I think a Lord of the Rings theme is the best, and maybe it could have something to do with the AU Revival perhaps? or there could be separate categories for scenes from the movies.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 9:51 am 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Are you interested?
Most definitely! :D I love making massive amounts of graphics because it is indeed challenging. XD

Anytime you see fit. I'm free most of the summer until late August, when I start my first year of college.

Sure, I really don't see why not.

What's a good time/good times to do it?
Yeah, already answered this above. ;)

I like getting the awards (even though last year the judging fell through). So I say yes to the point system and yes, it is about the challenge but I like seeing it pay off in the end. :yes: Maybe the mods should judge?

Personally, I could never really keep up with those, but if others can, let them do it.

Looking forward to this year's GMC. And I love the idea of having it be LotR-themed.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 6:18 pm 

Aramel Elyanwe wrote:

We seem to have a hard time finding judges/getting results/etc. Do we want a point system still? Or is it all about the challenge?[/b]

I like getting the awards (even though last year the judging fell through). So I say yes to the point system and yes, it is about the challenge but I like seeing it pay off in the end. :yes: Maybe the mods should judge?

If the mods would be willing to judge, that'd be wonderful. :) But with the restructuring and everything, I wouldn't want to pull them from doing forum-y things that rightly deserve their first attention. The problem usually with the GMC is getting people to want to judge, and getting enough.

Ooh! Idea! I just had it rereading what Ea had written: "I know I wouldn't be able to judge it fairly because I don't have a clue about a good blending or a different kinds of textures etc. - and I'm sure a lot of people would feel like me. And the people who actually know this stuff would be you guys and you can't judge if you're in the competition.. but I'm sure you can give useful comments!"

Now, us as the makers wouldn't want to have to judge our things in relation to others, but what about judging one person's graphics in relation to one another? They could judge according to composition, color, text usage, etc. It would be kind of opinion, but then, judging usually is. Wow, that looks confusing. Let me try to explain better.

Let's say you, me, and Enno are all part of the GMC. At the beginning, we would determine that you would judge my work, I would judge Enno's, and she would judge yours. So at the end of the week you would look through all my work and rank them - probably a 1-3 place for each category (banner, avatar, etc) - then make shiny awards. :D So you would judge them based on graphic things like texture use or font choice - you know, graphicy makery things - and then decide what was the best. This would help me see what things I did that were better, and what things I should improve upon. I would do the same thing for all of Enno's work, and she would do the same for you. So with this judging, it would have less pressure on us compared to others, but would still be a challenging experience.

Anyway, that was an idea I just thought of. It could be really interesting and challenging and still less "racing". And, also, if we just rotated between ourselves, if someone didn't want to be judged they wouldn't have to be.

Thoughts?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 31st, 2011, 9:43 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I signed up but I don't even know where to begin! I don't do colourizations and with these movies there's just so much I could do and can't think of anything new! maybe I should just do challenges so at least I get a most specific idea? *scratches head*

PostPosted: July 31st, 2011, 11:04 pm 

Well, you don't have to work with just LotR. :) You can make graphics of any pictures at all. If you still have no idea where to start (and yeah, it's huge! What to do, right?) you could go to a stock photo site and just see what catches your fancy. For instance, this page --> http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=search ... =1&x=0&y=0 is all pictures of Paris. Grab one and make a blend or something! :D It's all about experimentation.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 8:47 am 
Elf
Elf

So I have a bunch of graphics and stuff, but I can't make thumbnails cos I upload all of the stuff to my website. . . .any help? :confused:

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW