Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Graphic Maker's Cookoff 2012 [COMMENTS]
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 3:20 pm 

Judging: Ariadne394

Best use of texture:
First: I love the way the texture looks on this one. It’s subtle, but it adds just the right amount of detail. It also matches the flowery theme very nicely. Overall, the perfect balance between texture and image.
Second: This one has just the right amount of graininess. It gives it this amazing, almost vintage look to it, and it fits the mood of the blend very nicely. And once again, it’s there, but it isn’t overwhelming.
Third: I like that this one is a little different from the rest. I can see that you were experimenting with different kinds of textures, and this one is particularly nice. I also like that you weren’t afraid to erase the spots over Galadriel’s face, where the texture would have been distracting if you had left it.

Best use of color:
First: I adore this banner. It’s such a gorgeous shade of bright blue, but it isn’t overwhelming, and the contrast is perfect. Very well done.
Second: I love the brightness of this one. The pinks and reds really pop, but you didn’t fall into the trap of having her skin look unnatural.
Third: The coloring on this one is subtle, but it’s actually very nice. There’s the right amount of contrast, and there’s a really lovely purple tone throughout the banner that pulls it together in a very nice way.

Best composition:
First: This blend is put together so nicely. The text is in just the right spot compared with the door and Sam is placed very nicely along the side of the blend. The whole thing just fits together very nicely.
Second: Rule of thirds! The stripes look amazing, especially with the contrasting scenes of Rivendell in the middle and on the edges. Elrond is also placed just off-center enough that balances out very well. I love it.
Third: The close up on the right and the smaller full-body shot (bonus points for the silly pose!) contrast very well. And then the text in the middle just pulls it all together. Everything is very well-placed. :)

Most unique graphic:
First: The combination of effects on this banner is very interesting—the blurriness and the sepia go very well together, and the whole thing has this cool eery look to it. A little bit more sharpening might have benefitted, but I like the general direction this one took.
Second: It’s the choice of images in this one that I find unique. I’ve seen the left picture used before, but not the right, and something about the way they’re blended looks very different from the stuff one usually sees.
Third: The repeated image somehow manages not to be monotonous, and I like that you chose to have the text going straight up the side—most people shy away from different text angles, but it works very nicely here.

Best overall graphic:
First: Everything about this banner worked out excellently, from the blending to the color down to the simple choice of images. I already mentioned how much I love this one, but it really stands out and I’d love to see more like it.
Second: Something about this one just works so nicely. It’s simple, but interesting, and the composition is just so pleasing. I might suggest making the text slightly more readable (via a drop shadow, perhaps) but I think it still works without being able to read all the words. Also, I like that this one isn’t overwhelmed by effects—it’s not blurry or oversharpened, it’s right where it needs to be.
Third: Once again, the simplicity on this one is part of what makes it look so nice. The texture is there, but it’s delicate and adds just the right amount of interest to the blend. The images are well-placed, and I like that it doesn’t need text to highlight the scene’s emotion.

Overall, I’d say that you had the greatest success when you didn’t overdo the effects. Some of the icons are a little grainy and some have too much contrast, but when you let the images stay a little more “natural,” they ended up looking very nice. You’ve got the right idea, so keep experimenting and looking for new ways to color/blend/etc.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 4:55 pm 

Judging for Aranel Fae
Best Use of Texture
First: The texture is a perfect way to keep the banner simple, yet still very interesting. It keeps the focus of the banner right in the center but doesn't have any plain spots.
Second: I didn't even realize there was a texture on this one until I opened it full size! The fur-like look and scratches are so delicately and perfectly placed over it. Complete contrast to the first one - this makes you search around to see what else you're missing!
Third: Excellent use of grunge, especially where many of your works are so clean. The clock effect is well placed and covers just enough of the image to be fully integrated.
Best Use of Color
First: The color on this just pops! I'm a huge fan of how you turn into a huge green rage monster the heightened oranges and yellows, because when they're stuck next to his blue suit it is just brilliant!
Second: The hair, the skin, the eye. That's what this one is all about. Such a range of color, from the red to the pale pink to the blue! It all flows so seamlessly. Nothing is overstated but all the color is so bright!
Third: The use of black and white against color is really a spectacular plan, since it gives the color more richness. And these colors are just amazing - just enough off of what you might "normally" see (when ringwraiths are chasing you, I guess?) that they really pull you in and make you want to look longer.
Best Composition
First: Oh man. Very understated, but very gorgeous. Placing the image flush against the side of the blend was a good plan, and the text usage is just perfect.
Second: Great use of the negative space! The text is a really good addition to balance it out.
Third: I think the strength of this one comes from the way Gimli is situated against the left side. Many people would choose to center him or put him towards the right, but now it looks like he's getting ready to dash out of the graphic!
Most Unique
First: It looks like a collage! It has a very flattened, 2D look which makes it stand out. The collage effect is very different from anything else you've done and it works out very well!
Second: Oh yay, I get to gush about this blend more! Not only is it unique in your composition (choosing just one image, a lot of negative space, the text) but the vertical text and the vertical bands across the image are also very different. I didn't notice the bands at first, but they do an excellent job of making sure the image stays interesting!
Third: Your choice of adding in the two smaller boxes is genius. The icon could've stood alone on its own (and many would make it do so) but you chose to duplicate it again and again which really adds a lot to the look.
Best Overall
First: It's just perfect. Perfect blending. Everything flows together flawlessly. The coloring is gorgeous. And you recognized its strength in simplicity and didn't try to add any flashy text or brushes.
Second: So yeah, I've talked about it twice, it's kind of got to be in here, right? Amazing composition, unique decisions, soft coloring....I don't like Dany but I want this as a desktop so that I can just stare at it.
Third: The blending is excellent! And I like that you used coloring that nearly makes the person fade into the background. But I think my favorite thing about it is the text. That little strip of color and the brush behind it are amazing accents.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 2:46 pm 
Vala
Vala

JUDGING: SHADOWCAT

Best Use of Texture
First: The use of the floral texture in this blend is fantastic. It's a perfect match for the image of Margaery, it enhances the beauty of the blend and helps to bring out the colour without being too overbearing.
Second: I have always been a fan of these notebook style textures and to see it in use here made me especially happy. For me, it seems to make the entire blend stand out. The placement is great and the use of the other textures keeps it from becoming ordinary. The grunge style works wonders here.
Third: Can I say that this blend is a work of wonder as well? The textures here add a unique but attractive effect. It seems to add a sense of balance and makes it interesting too look at.

Best Use of Color
First: It's pretty obvious that I adore this blend. Everything about it works! The green is everywhere but that's the magic of it because... It. Works. It's an excellent compliment to the various green tones on her dress and it's one of the best colourings I've seen you done.
Second: The green in this is not as noticeable as in the blend above but it adds feeling to the banner. If I had to say which colour I associate with Strider/Aragorn, it would definitely be green so it tickles me silly to see the use of it here. Having the text in a similar shade is a nice touch as well.
Third: I love the colouring in this avatar. The different shades of purple and pink coupled with the sparkly/grungy effect gives off a soft pretty almost fairytale feeling, which is something that suits Arwen well! The empty space above her makes it stand out even more. Amazingly done!

Best Composition
First: This looks like an actual movie poster! The blending is flawless and makes me want to burst into tears. The placements of the various pictures has been done to perfection.
Second: I have to say that I absolutely love this movie poster style. The two pictures used are in harmony, the blending is as expected of you and the texture(s) used add enough to it without taking the focus away.
Third: I have seen this technique many times before but the idea that you put into it, turns something that is commonplace into something else entirely! The fact that you did not show their whole faces makes it more mysterious and wonderful.

Most Unique Graphic
First: How do you do it?! I love the way you incorporated all three people into this. Once again, it displays your imaginative way of blending, something that always manages to blow me away. The textures used work well with it and colouring is well done as usual!
Second: Another outstanding blend! Loving the way you placed the images with the flower in the middle. It pretty much represents that particular scene and feeling in the movie.
Third: Amazing blending? Check. Great placement? Check. And the fact that you did it an avatar? My mind is like...whaaaaat?

Best Overall Graphic
First: Guh. Do I even need to say it? The colours, the blending, the way you incorporated the important characters into it... fantasic work! You have blown my mind so many times I'm surprised it still functions!
Second: Something about this just makes me love it all. There's the blending, the colours, everything. I feel like I'm being repetitive now but it just stands to show how consistent you are in your graphics!
Third: This may be an understated graphic...some might not understand why I chose it but everything about it works. You took three different images and put them together in such a way that it doesn't cause discord. It's a brilliant idea and has amazing quality. Beautifully done!

Profile       WWW