Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How/Why did you start?
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 6:49 am 
Elf
Elf

I know there are quite afew people here who do graphics of one sort or another. I'm curious; how and why did you first start making things?

Me, I'm not really sure.
I started a few years after I first found that I had a graphics program. So that wasnt the cause.
I think it may have been a mixture of being artistic, being a perfectionist, and a matter of pride.
I've never like using other peoples graphics all the time.
I'm happy with an avvy that I havent made, or a banner, but I'm always seeing stuff on the net that says 'give credit' or 'dont steal'.
So I dont. I make my own. That way there is no risk of over-using someone elses art, against their will. And I like to be inderpendant, and do it myself.
Really odd, come to think of it.
:annoyed2:

The perfictionist bit comes in where I see how others could improve, and then find myself thinking 'Why am I critisizing, when I couldnt do better myself.' So I see if if I could do better.... Thats how it started anyways. I think. But now I just love the design aspect. And pretty things.

So... how about all you other people?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 2:15 pm 

I started making graphics about a year ago. I made them for myself though. All sorts of graphics. Banners, icons, Avatars, Wallpapers, and more. I still haev them saved on my computer :-D . I started because I was bored.

Post subject: Re: How/Why did you start?
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 5:17 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Celebwen wrote:
I see how others could improve, and then find myself thinking 'Why am I critisizing, when I couldnt do better myself.'

I feel that way a lot. I don't know why I started. I think it may be because I had apsolutely no idea you could do any of this kind of stuff before and it got me interested. I got a program and now I do it all the time. I know I'm never going to be as good as some people and I hate myself for critisizing their work when it's so much better than mine. It's crazy... :duh:

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2005, 5:58 am 
Elf
Elf

Location: Go ahead and guess.. Here's a clue: I'm somewhere on earth

I think I started 2-3 years ago.. When I found that Paint Shop Pro 7 was installed in the Computer..

Like Celebwen, I don't like to use other peoples graphics.. even when I was a beginner at graphics designing I used to use my own graphics..

Why did start graphics design? Well I saw alot of people that have really pretty layouts, banners, avatars .. and I really wanted to be able to do my own and another reason is that I really enjoy it! :bounce: :-D :angel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2005, 6:30 am 

It must have been over too years ago that I started making graphiccs it was because I wanted something I'd made to put on my website. But they were terrible to start with I didn't realise that I had paintshop pro or what it was so I used paint to make them.

I then started following lots of tutorials to make graphics like teddies and such like I also tried making fan graphics like banners etc. from movie pictures and I made dolls too.

But I only really got into the fan graphics once I got photoshop and now that's mostly all I do with as well as the odd doll - points at siggy

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2005, 7:18 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I started because I've seen so many beautiful graphics before on different sites, that I wanted to learn to make beautiful graphics myself!

^made by yours truly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2005, 12:57 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

when i first joined i didn't know anything about banners or graphics - and when i started to see what u guys could do i wanted to be able to do it - so i did :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2005, 5:08 pm 
Ent
Ent

I started making grachics in late March 2005. I just loved Melian's graphics and wanted to learn how to make them too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2005, 5:16 pm 
Ent
Ent

I started two years ago with paint... regular paint. I was bored one day and just started to mesh pictures around... then i got adobe photoshop and found i could do alot more with it.

I began taking requests, but i was new to photoshop so my graphics were pretty lame... but over the years i have improved and now I love to make them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 2:34 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I started making graphics a few years ago, but they weren't that good..it was personalized pictures. But as my oldest sister started teaching me how to use Photoshop for effects and to create stuff, I became interested. I didn't start making banners until after coming here, and now I've become alot better than before..

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 6:48 pm 
Maia
Maia

I started cause I saw how almost everyone else could do cool stuff, and I wanted to too! I'm still not very good, so I just gotta keep practicing! lol ;) I need to get a better program, too..

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 9:24 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I started... I think a yer or year and a half ago. I was ill, bored in my house, and somebody bring me Paint Shop Pro. It was amazing. I began to make banners, I was everytime making banners!!! And then, I got Photoshop.. and now I'm an addicted!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 5:45 am 
Elf
Elf

Addiction.... you could call it that, lol. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 6:07 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I started in October last year. My inspiration was simply looking at all the beautiful things that people made here on AU, and I thought "I want to do that too!" So I went and got Paint Shop Pro 7, and I was rollin' :P Now I do it simply because I think it's fun. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 12:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

It was actually because of Arwen! :) She made (and still makes) beautiful graphics and I wanted to know how to do it too... so I started off with regular Paint, putting text on images, changing colours, things like that... and then I found out that my brother had Adobe Photoshop about a year ago so I *borrowed* it off him... installed it on my computer, and off I went! At first they were really rubbish... I didn't know how to use anything... but after a while I taught myself through trial and error (mostly error :blink:!)... and well, you've probably seen where I am now! I still think I can get a lot better, but I'm learning new effects every day - it's so addictive! Once you start, you can't stop...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2005, 9:17 pm 

I "started" in November last year, mostly because a friend made some graphics and was starting a website and wanted some help with making some banners for it, so she lent me Picture It and I made a few. I lost interest for a while mostly because I was busy and my graphics were all really bad but then we got Photoshop and I started learning how to use that really well so I've started making banners again!