Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Banner effects
PostPosted: September 15th, 2005, 6:00 am 

Hi!
I'm fairly new to making banners, and i was just wonderin if anyone could give me ANY help on any effects shown on various banners (on this site)? For example, how can you make Liv Tylers or Elijahs eyes look very blue and stand out, etc?
Any help is very much appreciated! (By the way, I'm using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 at the moment!)
Thanks heaps!!!!!
Amowiel :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2005, 8:23 pm 
Maia
Maia

To make the eye effect there's a very good tutorial here:
magicbox.ti-fi.com

But since I'm ignorant and don't know how to link things I'll just copy and paste it for you right here....it's kinda cool.

HOW TO TREAT EYES IN PHOTOSHOP

You have probably seen this treatment in a lot of art: the eyes of the featured person look very bright, or very clear, or much more intense than they did before. In this tutorial I will show you some tricks to change the look of someone's eyes.

Step #1: Open a new file. Then paste the image you want to work with.
>> Step #1 picture

Step #2: Apply a smart blur to the image you just pasted. I usually set the treshold between 12 and 16.
>> Step #2 picture

Step #3: Now pick the blur tool and start blurring the sharp edges made by the smart blur. Be careful not to blur too much the face because you can take a lot of expression from it you do.
>> Step #3 picture

Step #4: With the dodge tool now, start lightening the white areas of the eye. Not only that, you can lighten any area that you wish to be highlighted, like the make up for example.
>> Step #4 picture

Step #5: You can also lighten the lightbursts in the eye, the reflections. Don't be afraid to lighten too much.
>> Step #5 picture

Step #6:Now, still with the dodge tool, start lightning inside the iris. Apply more pressure on the upper part and then go down from there. Don't make it too bright or the eye will look scary. And don't apply the same pressure to the whole iris, just the upper part.
>> Step #6 picture

Step #7:Create a new layer now set it to overlay, and select a not too bright color for the eye now.
>> Step #7 picture

Step #8:Go back to the eye layer and select the iris with the round marquee tool. Feather it 5 pixels.
>> Step #8 picture

Step #9:Now hit Ctrl + U (Hue/Saturation) and desaturate the selected area completely so that you can apply the color to the iris.
>> Step #9 picture

Step #10:Select the airbrush tool (with no more than 10 opacity) and apply the color in the overlayed layer. Now finally, pick up the Burn tool and darken the edges of the iris and the eyelashes. Every part that is naturally dark, darken it up a notch :)
>> Step #10 picture

Step #11:Now the final touch: With the sharpen tool, give a little sharpness to the reflections and the glossy areas of the eye. You'll see that the effect is remarkable ;)
>> Step #11 picture

And it's as simple as that!! You can of course add a thousand more effects to an eye to make it look more passionate, more alive, more deep etc. Here is an example of it in a fanart: example

I would probably just go to the website since it has pics and stuff. Hope this helps![/list]