Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 5:12 pm 

^Apparently, you just haven't asked around enough. ;) I'm not a hug Snape/Lily person either. (Then again, I'm against about 99% of the relationships in HP anyway..) It's kinda cute in its own way, and I don't know how else she would've done the whole redemption thing, but...yeah. It doesn't click with me.

That's not to say the people who do like it are wrong! :) I don't want to scare off our new members. :teehee:

I personally love the fact that Snape truly hated Harry. I think I've mentioned that around here before. But no matter what his loyalties, what he felt about Lily, anything, he despised Harry. It was real.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 5:28 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well I usually am careful who I say I acsolutely hate and detest their love, to because I always got the impression everyone liked the story.

He could just have felt really bad at seeing what he had sone to people he was at school with as he wasn't as deep down bad as Bellatrix for example.... Dumbledore spared him as it were.... and that was that.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 5:33 pm 

Lol, I sort of knew of your opinion on it, Miss JF... I think you might have casually mentioned it somewhere around here before! :teehee:

Nurr:: I absolutely agree with everything you said. Snape hated Harry because of his resemblance to James and yet he protected him because of the memory of Lily... The way it was played out in DH was just very... not rushed.. because you knew something like this was coming. But I think it felt more like the ending of one of the first books.. where everything was more innocent and a solution like this might have worked out well. I think she's done a great job planning out the main plot and even the minor characters' pieces in the puzzle fromt he beginning.. it didn't feel stretched at all... So I think it disappointed me that this seemed.. like an easy way out... and a way to please all romantic hearts in the process.. but there are probably more romantic souls than cynics like me out there... :P

And yeah, to our new members... it would be great to hear your input as well.. even if you don't agree .... in fact, especially if you don't agree.. it's always interesting to get other opinions and perspectives. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 5:38 pm 
Elf
Elf

Let's have some Snape love :D

(So much win with the Titanic reference there :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 5:44 pm 
Elf
Elf

As far as the whole Snape/Lily thing.. I don't really know how I feel about it. Although I will say that I cried my eyes out on my second re-reading of DH when I realised that Snape dies looking into Lily's eyes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 10:08 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

Hravan, those are some of the best gifs I have ever seen of Snape <3

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 1:21 am 

The "Awesome" one is AWESOME.

Ea: Yeah, I think that's what it was. That it was the "easy way out" because it was true love.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 1:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I believe the term is "deus ex machina". Yes, I am an English Major :P

It always bothered me because it seemed a little cheap. Cynical probably, just like you Ea. It's the massive literary snob in me, I suppose.

AND NOT BEING A ROMANTIC. I would have loved for Snape to just be really awesome and good because he really was, not because he wanted to snog Lily, you know?

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 2:26 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

You guys are seriously making me so happy now. Are you sure you all didn't love that story when the book first came out, and have since seen the light? :P

My main problem is that it was all about lurve. He couldn't just have been a man who did wrong and wanted to make up for it. He couldn't have been someone who hated Harry's guts because he reminded him of someone he hated more than anything, he couldn't have been a complicated character just because of his half-blood backgroun, dubious associations and loyalties.... oh, no, we had to have a romance. The supposed-shock-horror-twist-that-makes-everyone-who-hated-Snape-and-thought-he-was-a-bad-guy-see-him-in-a-new-light-and-give-the-squee-romantics-something-to-sigh-over-every-night..... oh, yes. Ruin a GREAT characters by making his every thought, his every act, his every sentence all deep down to do with a long lost love.

Thanks JKR.

[when I am old and grey I will still be seething about this :yes:]

And may I just say, after all the friendship Lily supposedly had with Snape, the ONE SINGLE TIME he accidentally called her something BAD... she brushes him off. Like that. *snaps fingers* Instead of pushing him away because of his associating with the older Slyhterins she should have been a better friend.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 4:58 pm 

Hravan:: Yay for the Snape-lovin'.. and I agree with Nurr, that Awesome IS awesome!!

Saira:: Do you have an idea to how Rowling could have just made Snape awesome... and good at the same time.. after all he had done through six books?

JFish:: Same question to you... I agree that Snape's character was so well-written throughout the first six books but however much the ending disappointed me I wasn't able to come up with another possible ending that still stayed true to his character and was able to redeem him at the same time (but then again there's a reason I'm not the multi-millionaire writeress!! :teehee:). Then I suppose she would have had to make an entirely different Snape...
But if we stay true to the original story, how could the endning have been done then? Would you have preferred to have Snape stay dubious til the very end.. without any explanations why? For power? Glory? Money? Revenge? But that would just have turned him into an unsympathetic person altogether... And his half-blood background... I do see potential there... but after all not an excuse to hate and still protect Harry for all those years. I mean it's very difficult to solve this and having Snape come out with his honour without making him a total baddie - and we have Voldemort and Bellatrix and Lucius for all those reasons.. they fulfill our thirst for true baddies, but what makes Snape's character so intriguing is the fact that he is not a one-dimensional black/white person.

And to answer your question.. yes, I was disappointed too when I read DH for the first time but I never was a huge fan of the general series.. except I admit they're great entertainment. I might have had a slight obsession over Snape/Rickman (:P) but that was it... so yeah... I guess it didn't upset me so much... :)

EDIT
Watching The Chamber of Secrets... favorite scene of all time is still Snape duelling Lockhart... I love how Snape casts his spells so effortlessly. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25