Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Sherlock (BBC) Club
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 1:50 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I am glad that we can all know, and can be doubly assured, that Sherlock is not dead. :P Of course he wouldn't die. ;)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 2:21 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Don't forget your spoiler warnings!

SPOILERS AHOY

@JF: I mostly agree with your theory. Personally, I do think Moriarty is dead. He thinks that he and Sherlock are the same, and he said he was bored because now he'd beaten everyone, including Sherlock. So there was nothing left for him. And I think this is why he didn't mind killing himself, also because he thinks that this means he wins. He thinks that Sherlock cares whether the world doesn't believe in him anymore, but the only ones Sherlock cares about are his friends, and he's had it confirmed that the people he considers his friends (most importantly John, but of course also Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade and Molly), still believe in him.

Yes, I think John was supposed to see Sherlock's "suicide", because I think that's the only way he would accept it as true. There are many theories going around as to how Sherlock convinced John it was really him (a ball in the armpit to slow the pulse, that flower he mentions ("it fits") when he's trying to find the diplomat's children can apparently make you seem dead as well), but I don't think John would be extremely hard to fool. Remember how in Scandal in Belgravia, Sherlock (and everone else) thinks Irene is dead even when she isn't, but then at the end when Mycroft and John are discussing what they should tell Sherlock about her, John asks whether she really is dead this time, and Mycroft says "It would take Sherlock Holmes to fool me, and I don't think he was on hand this time." Except he was, so we already know he's skilled at making people seem dead even if they aren't.

There are plenty of theories about Mycroft's involvement as well. One is that he gave Moriarty his own life story but tweaked it a bit so that it would seem believable that it was Sherlock's. Another: John says that one of them would have to have told Moriarty everything about Sherlock's childhood. We know that John is the most talkative of the two, and he is especially prone to talk about Sherlock. The first time we see the name "Richard Brook" in The Sun, Mycroft asks John "Brook, sound familiar?" which suggests that John may have had a girlfriend with that same last name (or at least one who pretended to), to whom he's been telling all sorts of stories about Sherlock. What this theory suggests is that Mycroft pretends it was him who told Moriarty everything about Sherlock, because he knows John wouldn't be able to handle knowing he was the one who led Sherlock to his downfall and death.
Whichever way ti is, I'm pretty sure Mycroft knows Sherlock is alive. Molly would've been able to help with a dead body and death certificate etc, but I think they would've needed Mycroft to pull this off entirely.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 5:17 pm 

Spoiler-ish!!!

Oh my.. Just watched the final episode and I'm still a bit in shock. I knew what was coming (unfortunately, it's impossible to close your eyes for Sherlock spoilers when you're on the internet) but I was just.. well, shocked. And than I thought of a theory, watched the final part again, abandoned that theory, thought of another one, watched again, abandoned theory II and now I'm just theory-less and very confused about how he did it. But wow... what an amazing show :-D

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 9:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

Ohhh, I'm new here, can I join the club please? I love Sherlock, seriously I've watched The Reichenbach Fall more than 10 times (it's sad I know), but partly it's to figure out how he survived the fall.

I think Steven Moffat mentioned something about "the clue that everyone missed", where Sherlock was acting out of character. Any ideas what's meant by this? After re-watching that episode till I virtually lost count the only thing I think I spotted was when Sherlock bought Molly a pack of Quavers. Can this be what Moffat meant?

Nai andúnë elen
Siluva lyenna,
Nai írë mornië lanta
Órelya nauva sanda.

~Sírelindë~

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 11:50 pm 

This is probably major spoilery, but... I'm assuming everyone's past that now? I mean, I hope they wouldn't be looking on this page if they were worried about spoilers... :teehee:

Someone on tumblr said that the out-of-character thing was Sherlock asking Moriarty to explain how he did it--because normally Sherlock would figure it out and he'd be the one telling Moriarty about how he figured it out. And the reason why he would do this is because he's filming or recording it, thereby effectively getting Moriarty to confess and clearing his own name.

that sounded better in my head ugh

... okay, that doesn't exactly explain how he survived, but it is super interesting regardless. :P

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 1:19 am 

^I saw that theory too, and I really hope it's true. Because I want Sherlock's name cleared definitively.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 12:46 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmm... @Shadowcat that is very interesting. Wonder why I've never heard of that theory.
But how did Sherlock survive the fall? That theory doesn't seem to provide an answer.

Nai andúnë elen
Siluva lyenna,
Nai írë mornië lanta
Órelya nauva sanda.

~Sírelindë~

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 2:12 pm 

It has something to do with Molly, I think, and there's the cyclist, which I don't think was planned. Sherlock tells John not to take his eyes off him, which I think means he wanted John to see how he survived. Wasn't there a truck driving by? He could've jumped on there and the body could've been someone else, put in place by Molly.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 4:41 pm 
Istari
Istari

I know, there was a truck full of bags parked by the curb when Sherlock jumped. But I don't think the body was someone else's cos when the body was turned over it was definitely Sherlock, we could see his face.
And I think Sherlock told John to keep his eyes fixed on him so that he could devise his plan, like prepare the scene to fake his death without John noticing. I think Sherlock wanted John to think he was dead to protect him, and the world to think he was dead so he could get off the spotlight (kinda like what the Doctor did :D)

Nai andúnë elen
Siluva lyenna,
Nai írë mornië lanta
Órelya nauva sanda.

~Sírelindë~

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 5:46 pm 

I agree with Sirelinde (welcome, by the way! :) ) in that he would want John to think he was dead. There's no guarantee that if he knew Sherlock was still alive that he wouldn't give something away in how he acted, thereby setting off the killings anyway. I still have no clue how he survives without any broken bones or anything. It seems nothing short of miraculous.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 6:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have no theories to offer as of now, but I just wanted to say that like Sirelende mentioned, I'm finding SO many Doctor Who parallels right now. I'm on to you, Moffat. :P

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 6:42 pm 

You guys make me want to write Wholock fanfic. :P

Hey, did anyone here ever watch Life on Mars? Because the scene on the rooftop in Sherlock was practically the same as the finale of LoM. Which had John Simm in it so there's more Wholock for ya. :teehee:

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 6:46 pm 
Istari
Istari

@Arabella Baggins Really? Like what? :)

Thanks, @Nurrantiel Mashiara! And yeah, I think it's obvious too that John doesn't know Sherlock survived, or he wouldn't have acted the way he did in the graveyard or in front of his therapist.

@Shadowcat Haha! BARROWMAN!!!!
And no, I haven't watched Life On Mars but I'm wanting too! And I agree a Wholock crossover would be really interesting. In fact, I've heard sooooo many people say they want to see Benedict Cumberbatch as the Master :D But John Simm is awesome too of course.

Nai andúnë elen
Siluva lyenna,
Nai írë mornië lanta
Órelya nauva sanda.

~Sírelindë~

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 2:35 pm 

Welcome Sírelindë :-D
I totally agree with you: John definitely believes Sherlock died, to keep himself, Mrs. Hudson and the others safe.
Trying to think of ways Sherlock could have survived takes a lot of my time at the moment (consider me mildly obsessed) but I still have absolutely no clue!

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 12:01 am 

Well, of course John doesn't know that Sherlock's alive, but I like to think that Sherlock wanted him to know he survived and the cyclist messed that up. But I suppose he is sort of a bad friend and that's not exactly his style. :lol:

Anyone know when the next season's going to be out, though? I know it's going to be awhile because of The Hobbit--which is fine. :teehee: But... I need more.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 7:58 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^Considering the fact that there was a sniper waiting to shoot John if Sherlock was alive, I think Sherlock cares too much for John to ever risk having him know he'd survived, because that would put John's life in danger, depending on his reaction. I definitely think the cyclist was deliberate, to make sure John didn't get to Sherlock too soon.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW