Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thorin Oakenshield fan club!
PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 11:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

For all who like, love or LOVE Thorin...Join the Thorin Oakenshield fanclub! Lets see, who is most obsessed with Thorin...Me, (Legolin) or you?

Members:
Legolin12
Marida
Elenia
Torziel Evenstar
Lhunardien
Erin Vanya
4frodo

Last edited by EmmaSwan on January 17th, 2014, 12:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Thorin Oakenshield fan club!
PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 7:35 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm definately obsessed, or else I wouldn't have married him, would I (well not really, but a girl can dream can't she)? ;-)

This is a neat idea, because although there is a fan club for the Heirs of Durin (which includes Thorin), but not any for a single character. I think you should also allow people to join who are fans of both the book and movie versions, since there are a couple of people that like the book version as well (Erin Vanya and aralas come to mind).

I'll ask a question to start the conversation going: What is one scene involving Thorin that you're most looking forward to in the upcoming Dos (that you've seen in any of the trailers or TV spots)? A couple for me: the barrel scene, the confrontation with Thranduil. In contrast, one scene that still makes me angry is when Bard tells Thorin that he has no right to enter that mountain (Erebor). Most of us fans are thinking: Yes he does!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 11:17 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmmmm, thats such a tough question! Thorin in Laketown should be interesting, so should Thorin and Thranduil's argument.
I agree, I was mad at Bard, its like, "Dude, who has the right to rule Erebor...you or Thorin!" Although i do like Bard, it seems like he's blaming Thorin for the fact that Smaug destroyed Dale. It seems like everyone is blaming Thorin for his fathers madness, and his grandfather's obsession with gold. You gotta feel bad for the guy.
In AUJEE, when Elrond and Gandalf are talking about Thorin, the look on Thorin's face is really sad! Thorin takes the blame for his father's madness and grandfather's obsession with gold.

Question...what do you love most about as Thorin?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 12:09 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Count me in, cuzin!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 11:26 pm 
Istari
Istari

Your in Cousin! :-D
Thorin thorin thorin :blush:
If any of you find cool pics of Thorin,post e'm here!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 8th, 2013, 5:35 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Check out this link to a French poster:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYa_GliCYAACRAK.jpg:large

The poster's quite large, that's why I provided a link to it. Why can't we get these kind of posters? Probably because they would sell like wildfire. If I had this poster in my room, falling asleep would be a tad difficult (well, more than a tad, if you catch my drift). :blink:

I love everything about Thorin, even his flaws. Everybody has flaws, so I find it rather silly to judge someone just by their flaws. I think what they're doing in the movie version is showing us exactly why Thorin is the way that he is, so that some of us can relate to him more than we could in the book.

I also like the fact that Thorin's more serious (more like me, actually), because I don't see him as more fun loving like his nephews (like I mentioned in the Heirs of Durin fan club thread). That doesn't mean he doesn't know how to have a good time (if you watch the scene where Bofur is singing his song in Rivendell, you'll see that Thorin is there too, check the bottom right of your screen. I didn't notice this until someone on TORN pointed it out), he just goes about it in a different way. And I'd hate to be on the other end of that stare.

Do you want to continue with the questions, or just make random observations and such? Just thought I'd ask first before posting a new question, and you may want to answer your own question like I did the first one. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 8th, 2013, 6:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

:blush: Image
This explains my sudden love for Thorin does it not?

I am going to sob when Thorin (myheartmylovemyprecious :p :p ) dies! Im sure its going to be super dramatic and sad!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 10:35 pm 
Elf
Elf

ooh can I join?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 10:59 pm 
Istari
Istari

Of course, Torziel!
Thorin... :blush:
Why am i so obsessed :lol:
Thorin and the "Gold sickness" ? Thoughts?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 11:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm just as obsessed as you are, Legolin, since Thorin's the only thing I think about (most of the time). It's nothing to be embarrassed about. Though I should talk, because even though I've been a fan for almost a year (I count it from Valentine's Day, which was shortly after the seventh time I've seen AUJ in theaters, but the last time in 3D) and I still get bashful sometimes.

Do you mean the dragon sickness? I wonder if the fact that both Thror and Thrain possessed one of the dwarven rings of power had anything to do with it. Though you can't ensnare a dwarf, I think their treasure hoards were cursed, so this could include Thror's accumulated wealth in Erebor. Since the ring was taken from Thrain in Dol Guldur, it never passed on to Thorin (I wonder if it ever would have if this never occured). It will still be hard to watch regardless, because when both Thorin and Bilbo overhear Elrond and Gandalf talk about the sickness that runs in his family, he looks almost scared. That scene is so sad. :-(

Nice pictures you posted there, Legolin, keep 'em coming! :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 10th, 2013, 12:14 am 
Istari
Istari

How many times did u see AUJ in theaters?
Ill keep the pictures coming, dont worry!

What do you think Thorin will think about Kili and Tauriel's romance/friendship?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 7:13 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I've seen AUJ a total of 10 times in theaters; once in the new HFR 3D, 6 times in regular RealD 3D, and 3 times in 2D (though this was after it moved to our cheapest theater. It was playing until the week that the DVD got released, which was nice, since I got to see it on the big screen one last time).

I don't think that Thorin will be too happy about the Kili/Tauriel relationship/friendship, since you know how he feels about Elves. This is why I made my character for the AU Family Tree a dwarf, since a Dwarven/Elven pairing wouldn't work well with Thorin. Waaay too much friction. True that there's a little bit of friction with any kind of pairing, but that would be a bit too much. ;-)

Are you getting excited about seeing Thorin again on the big screen (and in 3D, if you're planning on seeing that version)?

Though I've seen him on the big screen before in 3D, I was still into the Witch-King back then, so technically, Sunday will be the first time I've seen it in 3D with my current favorite. Falling asleep on Saturday is going to be a little tricky (if not impossible). :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 8:31 pm 
Istari
Istari

I can't wait to see Thorin!!!
Unfortunately, I have to wait until the 20th at least, until I can see DoS...we have such a big crowd that we have to buy discounted tickets :( which means (I think) no 3D :'-(
But I will survive, at least I get to see it in theaters :happy:

Here are some pictures... I had to post the links because the images were too large apparently :lol:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-richard-armitage1.jpg

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/crossed-3-copy.png

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/doscalendarhr02.jpg

Epic pictures of an epic person!

There are so many pictures of Thorin...
Check out thus site:http://thorinoakenshield.net/the-hobbit-photo-gallery/
ThorinOakenshield.net, hey I like the name!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 7:58 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I was wondering if you knew about that site, Legolin. I even "like" their Facebook page, though with Thorin, "like" is too weak a word. Why can't there be a "love" button? ;-)

Favorite Thorin moments from DoS?

There are so many, but here are a few of my favorites:

I love it when Thorin insults people, like Thranduil and Smaug. You don't want to find out what that dwarvish curse towards the Elven King meant, since it was in no way courteous (as Aragorn would put it). Even before I knew what it meant, I figured this, because by the look on Balin's face (which now makes me laugh), you know that he's thinking something like: "Oh, wonderful. Now how are we supposed to get out of these cells?"

With Smaug, it was more to trick him into lighting the furnaces, which was brilliant! Dragons are vain, so what better way to get Smaug to chase you than to insult him (just hope that he doesn't catch you or you're toast).

The opening scene with Gandalf in Bree (did you catch PJ's cameo? I find it kind of funny that the first person we see in this movie is the director). I was hoping we wouldn't have to wait until the Extended Edition came out to see it, since it would suck if we had to wait another year to view it. It seems that those two ruffian type characters had dealings with Gandalf before, since they backed off once he sat down (Thorin wasn't the only one breathing a sigh of relief in that scene, I was also).

I'll post some more after my next viewing (which will be New Year's Day), since I don't want to turn this into a novel (with a favorite character, this is quite easy, because you have more to say about them), since there are so many great Thorin moments. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 10:02 am 

Can I join the club? :-D I'll give a very detailed account of my view of Thorin in DoS when I'm officially accepted ;-)

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:45 am 
Istari
Istari

Sure, of course you can join!
I did find out what Thorin's dwarvish word meant. Lol, it was mean, and VERY rude, but still funny and Balins face is PRICELESS!
I wasn't mad at all when Thorin told Kili to stay behind. At first Thorin was a tiny bit mean about it, but then he softened. After a debate with some cousins and siblings, we decided that Thorin has a hard time giving bad news, and turns gruff when he is upset/worried. I'm sticking to that decision! :)
Btw, Marida, that site...I can't believe I didn't find it before then. A friend on tORN told me about it. Epic site!
@ Lhun, can't wait to hear your opinion of Thorin!
Thorin <3

Profile       WWW