Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thorin Oakenshield fan club!
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 3:27 pm 

Yaaay! Okay here comes the story of what I really liked about Thorin in DoS:

- His conversation/clash with Thranduil. It was exactly as I hoped it would be: Thranduil trying to be all nice and smooth, and Thorin not believing a single word of it. I have to admit I also love Thranduil's portrayal, he's perfect and even better than I'd imagined. Anyway, Thorin's little smirk after Thranduil's story, and Thorin's speech for all of the Mirkwood Halls to hear were quite awesome, and the Dwarvish insult made things even better. I haven't discovered what it means yet, but I intend to find out. Oh and I also liked how Thorin still believes that Bilbo might get them out, even when Balin is already sure there's no hope left.

- The moment where he stands up for himself and the other Dwarves in Laketown. Nice to see him in a more political position for once, and it's a position he can easily handle. Not strange, with him being the head of his people and all.

- Not something I liked about Thorin, because it's not so nice for him, but something I like in general: the effect the treasure beneath the Mountain has on Thorin. It would be unbelievable if he would remain completely cool while knowing all that gold is finally within his reach, so I was happy that particular character trait was also shown when they reached the Mountain. But oooooh when he trapped Bilbo with his sword and all... It gave me goosebumps. And I can't wait to see what will happen to him in the next movie!

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 10:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

I'd 100% love to join this club.

Thorin is a very interesting character all around. When I read the book, before the movies even came out, he caught my attention most. As well as Bilbo, there was so much about him. Of course, seeing the movies added another reason to like him.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 10:52 pm 
Istari
Istari

You may join, Erin :)
I wonder if Thorin even knows that Kili likes Tauriel...he didn't seem to notice anything, but then he wasn't around :p
I'm thinking possibly something, some sort of lecture/fatherly discussion, in TaBA. I actually think it would be rather interesting to see :)
And i wonder if Thorin's dislike of Elves won't apply to Tauriel, seeing that she saved his nephew.
Thoughts?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 4:09 am 

Well, Elrond & Co. also saved Thorin & Co. (hihi) from the Orcs, but he didn't seem too grateful for that either :lol: And on top of that, Tauriel is the head of Thranduil's guard.. So I think it'd be a very small chance for Thorin to approve of Tauriel, whether she saved Kili or not. Also, it's a bit odd that Thorin hasn't noticed anything about Kili/Tauriel! After all he was only a few dungeons away during their second conversation, and I can't imagine him not paying attention when any Elf was around!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 11:40 am 
Istari
Istari

I never though of it like that! Thorin might not hate her, but still probably dislikes Tauriel.
During the cell scene, it would make sense that the other dwarves would have heard. (And on a totally off topic note, i wonder if Fili notices anything between Tauriel and Kili! He must, because he was right there for most of it :teehee: )
I'm pretty sure that Thorin won't be too happy about Tauriel/Kili, if it turns into a real romance...i think it could be kind of funny :lol:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 6:44 pm 
Ent
Ent

I shall abstain from all discussion involving Tauriel.

That did shock me though, when Thorin was quick to abandon Kili, because he was poisoned. Though, I do like how he reacted to the gold. It showed that Thorin and Smaug aren't so different. Smaug wanted the gold, the arkenstone and Erebor. Thorin wanted the same thing. Added a new depth to his character, which was pretty deep to begin with.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 6:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thorin being desperate for the Arkenstone...you could really tell that the dragon sickness was creeping in. *goosebumps*
There were tears in my eyes when Thorin tells Kili to stay behind...

Thorin: Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down.
Kili: What are you talking about? Im coming with you, I'm going to be there, when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin...
Thorin: Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you are healed.
Oin: I'll stay with the lad, my duty lies with the wounded.
Fili: Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain, tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!
Thorin: Fili...
Fili: I will carry him if i must!
Thorin: One day you will be king and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf, not even my own kin.
Fili, dont be a fool, you belong with the company!
Fili: I belong with my brother.

I think i have these quotes right :p
I firmly believe that Thorin had no idea what to do about Kili, so decided to leave him behind, hoping that he would have a better chance of surviving. It's the only explanation my brothers and I can come up with :lol:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 7:01 pm 
Ent
Ent

I didn't like that, when the company split. They all should have gone to Erebor together. I personally prefered AUJ over DoS. I liked how AUJ was focused around the dwarves, and showed Thorin's inner conflict. I'll still cry my eyes out, when Thorin dies. Then again, DoS took the plot of the Hobbit, and threw most of it out the window, so they might forget about Thorin's death, and make him live as king of Erebor.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 6th, 2014, 11:10 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Since I'm no book purist (I'd miss out on a lot of good movies and TV series if I was like that, due to the fact that almost everything I like is based on a book), I don't mind the changes. Sometimes you just can't film it the way it's written. And as is the case with the Hobbit, there just isn't enough information for three movies, so that's why they had to use stuff from the Appendices to LotR for more backstory.

What do you think Thorin is thinking in this scene (I thought it was about time that somebody posted some more pictures, and this is one of my favorites):

Is it greed? Or anticipation? On thorinoakenshield.net, somebody said in an article that this might be part of the dragon sickness, but I think that's totally off base. The only time we see that Thorin is starting to be affected by it is that scene in Erebor where he blocks Bilbo. Do you think that he suspects that Bilbo has already found the Arkenstone? If he didn't, why would it take Bilbo so long to answer (this would make even me suspicious)? Our burglar friend may have been holding back because of what Smaug told him would happen to Thorin if he got it. I almost cried during this scene, and the theater was completely quiet. :-(

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 6th, 2014, 11:35 pm 
Istari
Istari

That scene...makes me tear up.
I agree, Marida...and i think that if you word-for-worded the entire Hobbit book, it would be a rather dull movie...its a great book, but in a movie, you have to flesh it out a little. Honestly, i am sure that Kili, Thorin and Fili will die, its to big of a liberty to take.

Anyway...i have to post links, the pictures are too large...
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHB8efVLlgl4EE_2_m.jpg
And so what if the poster isn't in English,its the picture that matters :goofy:

http://i0.wp.com/www.techfleece.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/The-Hobbit_-The-Desolation-of-Smaug-Official-Main-Tr-0842.jpg
There are three Thorins, there is only one Thorin Oakenshield.

Oh...Thorin's 'i will not die like this' quote...who came close to tears?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 4:06 pm 
Ent
Ent

Marida, I think in that picture, it's appreciation. Along with inner guilt, that he was so willing to give up easily. I'm so saving that picture.

I personally think it's silly, that they had to make it into three movies, when LotR was five times as long as The Hobbit, and they made one book into one movie. I wouldn't have changed anything about AUJ. So I think if DoS was on the same vein as AUJ, but had the rest of the actual plot and not so much extra stuff, it would have been much better.

I wasn't the only one that thought that. I went to see it the first day it came out. The theatre was packed out. Everyone went in excited. As the movie went on, they became restless. No one had a good thing to say about it on the way out. It was excruciating to watch.

In quite a few cases, the books are much better than the movies. Like Percy Jackson for example. When I saw The Lightning Thief, I loved it. Then I read the book that came with it, because well, free book came with the DVD. I read the rest of the books in the series. When I saw the movie again, I saw just how terrible the movie is.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 5:41 pm 

Ah yes, the famous key-scene. I wish they would've taken a slightly different approach to it, although I can't exactly explain what I'd liked better. Maybe I was just a bit disappointed that Thorin gave up so easily when the Company failed to find the keyhole. Seems a bit unlikely that Bilbo is the only one who continues to search, although it was even more unlikely that Thorin actually dropped the key :confused: Bit drama-queen overreacting there.

On the other hand, the moment Erebor was actually opened.. That was just magical. The only thing missing was the Misty Mountains theme, but other than that it was perfect. And I also really liked the scene where the Dwarves try to escape from Smaug, and stumble across the bodies of their kin when they try to get out.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 6:52 pm 
Istari
Istari

I know!!!!! 'Is this is to end in Fire, then we shall all Burn together!' I nearly squealed in the theater...i love Thorin :p
I agree, when Thorin drops the key, i think it was overly exaggerative, i mean Thorin has traveled so far just to drop the key, but then when im upset or discouraged i do dumb things too.
Image this picture...:D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 5:37 pm 

Oh yeah that's cute.. :swoon:

Anyway *recovers from swooning, while still occasionally glancing at picture* Yes, I also do stupid things when I'm disappointed. But after travelling across Middle-Earth, after planning that quest for about a year and dragging your company through disaster, problems, and angry Orc hordes? Nope, dropping that key would be about the last thing I'd do :lol:

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Nice picture! :swoon:

I do stupid things all the time, like sell my collection when I'm not technically over it. Never doing that again! For starters, continuously replacing the collection can get a little expensive after a while. ;-)

Is it just me, or does Thorin smile more in DoS than in AUJ? I love it when he smiles, since it almost melts my heart. It's so unexpected as well (just like everytime he raises his voice. I always pay more attention during those scenes, like that scene in Mirkwood when he tells everyone to be quiet) that I can't help smiling back (even if nobody else sees me, especially in a darkened theater).

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 12:32 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thorin's smile... :happy:
He smiles more in the first hour of DoS, (in my opinion) but I've only seen it twice :)
I'm not sure which movie he smiles more in, although I will say that he smiles approximately 11 times in AUJ (my friend and I count random things, like how many times Gollum says "precious" and stuff :goofy: )
Because I like pictures... :)
:swoon:

Profile       WWW