Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 69  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2006, 7:22 am 

Seeing as no one responded to MontanaBohemian's post I'm gonna nudge this up to page one again. I like the idea of this club, but it seems the members are too busy to post here.

How much do people in the U.S. care for mid term elections. I assume the turnout would be a lot lower than when voting for a new president.
Are you going to vote?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2006, 4:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I voted by absentee ballot :) I admit I didn't care about a lot of the races and did a lot of voting down the party line. I know it sounds bad, but I don't really _care_ about who becomes highway district manager or whatever it is.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2006, 6:06 pm 

Ha, so, what exactly does the Highway District Manager do? :P

Oh well, I'm voting on Tuesday! Yay! I'm excited! There is a lot of tension in Montana over the cantidates. I know many people at work who are losing sleep over the election and they aren't even running for anything....

Frankly, I'll be happy when the election is over, all of the TV advertisements for the cantidates are out of control....So and so did this, so and so said that....Blah!!! I can't watch the news without being ambushed with tons of political stuff....

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2006, 7:16 pm 

Oh I care and am excited about the election even though I'm not American :P

Tis weird, every American I've spoken to over here (there's quite a lot of them as it's mostly exchange students in my dorms) seems to know less about the election than I do and that's not even that much. Nobody seems to have got round to organising a postal vote.

It seems odd to me that there isn't more fuss about the house of representatives voting. Aren't they very important in laws getting passed e.t.c.?

In the UK we only vote for our area's representative (MP) and the party with the most MPs leader gets to be Prime Minister.

Oh and there's a Scottish parliment election this May which will be my first chance to vote in one of these ones :D. I'm most annoyed that I'll miss it but I'm going to arrange a proxy vote.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2006, 1:52 am 

Eä wrote:
Seeing as no one responded to MontanaBohemian's post I'm gonna nudge this up to page one again. I like the idea of this club, but it seems the members are too busy to post here.

How much do people in the U.S. care for mid term elections. I assume the turnout would be a lot lower than when voting for a new president.
Are you going to vote?

Mmm...well, it was more of just a reminder to remind those U.S. citizens who are eligible to vote, to VOTE.

Usually, mid term elections aren't that heated and crazy. Which is sad, because senators and represenatives are the most important (besides the people...:P ;) ) elected people in our government. In my opinion, the prez and such is just a symbolic figure head. *sigh* Oh well. Mmm...should I say this, since we aren't allowed to talk politics? Well, just an explanation WHY it's so crazy this year than most. As of now, the Republican party has control of the House and the Senate (not to mention the presidency) and with a handful of Senate races and a few House races, the Democrats could win back control of both or one of the houses. Which would be a first in 12 years.
As Sida mentioned, the race (at least the Senatorial race) is really insane here in Montana. It's like the second most important/watched in the country. Which is kind of a big deal for Montana, considering the rest of the country forgets about us usually. And part of that is another reason why the mid term elections are so crazy this year. There have been a lot of scandals and crazy stuff going on with House Reps and Senators. But since we can't really go into politics, I won't go into it here...because I'll end up getting myself kicked off this forum for saying some pretty nasty things.
And again, like Sida said, many people aren't getting any sleep that aren't even running. That would be moi. :blush: I'm very excited, yet very nervous.

I'm also very excited to vote. I'm going to get up extra early to go vote. It's going to be very exciting. :) Absentee voting has been HUGE this year...and it's because it means more votes. I'm not doing it, because unless I DIE between now and election day, I'll be at my polling place. Ha ha ha. Which, earlier this summer, was a big pain for my boss (I worked as a canvasser - getting people to register to vote and fill out early vote/absentee ballot forms) because I basically had to "sell" these early vote things...and I wasn't even doing it. :P More people can and will vote this way. It's a lot easier, because you can get it in the mail and just mail it back in. Perfect for the lazy American culture. ;) Apparently, that's how everyone in Oregon votes. Pretty crazy.

Well, enough of my essay here. I could go on and on and on about voting and such.

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2006, 10:18 pm 

Quote:
Are you going to vote?
Midterm aren't as big a deal, but in my area there are some issues which'll really get people to the polls. For one thing, one item on the ballot is a $1,000,000 lottery people automatically get entered in if they vote. :blink: Now with the problem we have in this state of illegals placing votes without really being registered, I'm afraid of what might happen there. Then our senatorial race---quite a big deal here. The gubernatorial race seems in the bag for our governor getting re-elected; I mean, I've not even SEEN an add by her opponants. Just a few signs and bumper stickers.
The biggest issues in my state are smoking and the rights of illegals this year---amnesty issues and such, and whether ID should be required at the polls.
Yeah, I'll vote, unless something unforseen appears on my plate.
It's my duty. As for the candidates, you know, I really don't care for any of them, but I've got to choose---I don't belong to one of our big parties so I don't feel driven by one or the other, which in some ways makes it easier, other ways not.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 3:30 am 

Oh yeah, I heard something about getting entered in a lottery if you vote in other states....I have to admit I did see that on Jon Stewart and he did make fun of it :P *cough* Anyways, that's an interesting strategy to make people come out and vote....but I don't necessarily agree with it...
I think people should feel apart of their goverment whatever party they do or don't belong to, voting is the thing that influences how our goverment is run...it's a beautiful thing.
*cough* Anyways, I'm voting tomorrow! Whee!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 4:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

^ MB, yeah, it's really crazy how everyone votes in Oregon! I'm used to people actually going to voting booths, not sending in ballots...it's weeeeeird...

There was actually one race for my home state that I couldn't bring myself to vote in. It was an important race, but I really couldn't stand anyone running in it... :erm: But yeah, voting is a good thing :yes: I went door-to-door on Saturday reminding people to vote if they hadn't done so already. But I'll be glad when the election's over! Then the political club I'm in will stop banging down their members' doors trying to get them to help with campaigns... >.<

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 6:56 pm 

YAY!! :bounce: I got up very early this morning to go vote!! :bounce: Yay!!!

Mmm...yeah. I'm involved in a PAC (Political Action Committee) and an actual party (not mentioning anything by names...) and I've done lots of work for both. This summer I got people registered to vote...and then today, I went back through some districts to remind them to get off their butts and down to the polls!!! :P But I agree, I'll be glad when it's over. *takes deep breath*

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 7:26 pm 

What time is voting finished and the results come in? I'm just annoyed because it's already 12.30pm on the 8th here and I'm wanting results :P

And yay!! that you've voted MontanaBohemian :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 8:04 pm 

Polls close at 8 pm (usually - sometimes...maybe 9?), in respective time zones. So, on the East coast, they'll close earlier than here...because they're a few hours ahead of us. But 8 is when they usually close (at least here)...and then...who knows when we'll get real results. *doesn't even want to think about it-runs away to hide-and passes out from hyperventalation* ...

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2006, 3:17 am 

Ack! I voted! Yay! So exciting! And now, like MB, I'm hypervenilating, it's so close...it's 12:15am and I'm sitting here watching the polls...*twitch*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2006, 9:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oh hey, I'd like to join this club. I was going to earlier and forgot :blink: .

Anyways, I'm so proud that I voted yesterday, it was really important to me to have a say in our government. Most resuslts are in now and it looks like the Dems took over the House but they aren't sure about the Senate. But I guess we can't really discuss that because then we start getting into our opinions and that's getting to far into to politics. I will say that hopefully now there will actually be checks and balances in our govt, which is something we needed regardless of which political party is in "power."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2006, 9:58 am 

^Welcome Banana Republic. I can't give you an official welcome, since I'm not even a member of this club myself... in fact I'm just a random lurker who occasionally posts to get the club back on the first page. I've been considering applying for a membership since the club started, but... well.. :angel:

Yeah it looks like the Democrats will win.. or as I heard a commentator putting it: It might rather be that the Republicans are loosing, than it is the Democrats who are winning the elections.

Being a European I can't really say much about the U.S. Domestic politics, because I don't know enough - and I'm not even sure what I should be saying about the Foreign policy... nor would this be the appropriate place to state my opinion anyway. :-)

Automatically entering a lottery if you vote, voting by e-mail... very interesting initiatives... I heard that through the new electronic voting system, a re-counting of the votes isn't possible, which to me sounds like it could be a problem. Especially when it looks like a couple of thousands votes can tip the balance to either side.

By the way, I would love to further discuss politics - and religion - so feel free to PM me :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on November 8th, 2006, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2006, 12:06 pm 

Yay Banana Republic. Good for you for voting!

Well, the Democrats won the House. Now I can say MADAM Speaker. :) Finally.

But...oh god. Why does it have to be down to our state.

*falls over dead*

*twitch*

Anyway...lottery bribery? Weird.
And we most definately had some interesting initiatives on our ballot...though some of them won't count (it was just too late to take them off the ballot).

*needs to take deep breath...but can't*

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2006, 8:00 pm 

It was so different voting here compared to what I'm accustomed to, since I used to live in Louisiana. There was only ONE registry of names listed alphabetically (then, this is the country, again a new experience), then you moved down one person to have a number written down, moved down the table to a THIRD poll worker who got you the correct ballot.

Voting on this ballot was different as well. You simply used a black pen to fill in the circle of your choice, the name of the person or "yes" or "no" on propositions.
I'm accustomed to pulling and pushing buttons and levers. Not filling in three looooong pages worth of circles. This isn't supposed to be a test! :P

I voted later than ever before too. In the past I've made it to the polls pretty early. Tuesday I made it only an hour before they closed. :blush: It was buuuuu-sy. They hadn't prepared for that number of people; there weren't enough booths. The poor workers got out folding tables and set them up. I had to set at a table with two other women protecting my ballot as much as possible. Though probably they were doing the same and there was really no worry. I wonder if, since we're supposed to have private ballots, that was really even legal to have us vote in the open like that. :confused2: As soon as I finished I had to carry my ballot over to a fourth worker, who showed me how to insert it, one page at a time, into this copymachine-type machine, where it swalloed my ballot, listed what number voter I was at that particular poll (784) and said "Thanks for Voting!" That was it, but what a different experience.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 69  Next