Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 18th, 2024, 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 69  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 5:29 pm 

-changes icon, points below- to a voting badge...feel free to advertise the club with it too or your own design I'm not the best graphics person...lol still learning... but it may help get our club's name out there a bit more. Also, starting a poll in the polling section about voting for president of Middle Earth :P So please go out and vote! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 2:10 am 

Oooh! I love that button! It's SO exciting!!! Yay!!! I actually just mailed something up to one of my cousins who STILL hasn't registered to vote and she's going to be 21....so, I stuffed a voter reg card in there. Ha ha ha.

You know, that reminds me that....ever since my freshman year, I've been quite outspoken...usually about politics and policy and such....but no one really took me seriously. I mean, if I really, REALLY got vocal about it...the "adults" would always seem to be taken aback that a "child" would be so passionate about something so serious.
SO, you know, I've grown up basically being ignored and not taken seriously...so now that I'm an adult, people actually take the time to listen to what you have to say. Which is almost refreshing...but then, it's quite sad when they don't listen to the younger people. Which makes me so bloody angry!!! ARGH!!! Do you know what I mean? *sigh* Oh well...

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2006, 3:18 pm 

:) Thanks Montana! Feel free to use the button too if you like. It's hosted on my site so it won't poof. lol And yes, I do understand what you're saying about how "adults" often don't listen to those younger than them...even when they have a valid point....and how it's odd to have them listen to you when you finally reach a certain age or social point of maturity, such as the age to vote. Personally I was a bit shocked or lost....finding out that my opinion or facts suddenly were pertinent to folks around me, it was a happy surprise though.

Also, does anyone else have ideas about getting our club name out and about in the forum? We have the poll up, and options on using a banner or av button, but I'm sure there's more we can do out there somewhere. :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2006, 6:54 pm 

Quote:
I actually just mailed something up to one of my cousins who STILL hasn't registered to vote and she's going to be 21....so, I stuffed a voter reg card in there. Ha ha ha.

Oh my goodness! That's so completely different from how I was. I went down to the DMV (department of motor vehicles) and asked them if I could fill out the voting registration cards a few weeks BEFORE my 18th birthday. That was I'd be all set up ON my birthday. It was so exciting!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2006, 1:32 pm 

Yeah! One of my friend's parents voted for the first time in the last presidential election. Her mum must be around 40 something. I always find it suprising when discovering people like that....

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 11:33 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I'm 22 so I'd love to join this club :D Great to meet all ye fellow adults :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 7:08 pm 

Welcome to the club Child of Óðinn!! Great to see new members, welcome everyone and enjoy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 5:51 am 

I'm 20 so I'll join too :)

Tis cool to have a place where us ancient folks can hang out :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 1:27 pm 

Yay! More members! Fwee! For some reason, I can't think of anything else to talk about....
Errr...books!
So, does anyone still shop for books in the "Young Adult" section. I do, some of the best books are over there...Anyways, I'm not a big fan of those overly mushy romance novels in the adult section :teehee:

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 2:03 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

LOL yeah I still find myself reading the same type of books as I did when I was in my teens. I do venture over to the adult section though. I couldn't care less for romance either but I love reading all the suspense thrillers!

And thank you tindomerel, 'tis a great club you've got here :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 8:15 pm 

I still like reading teenage books too. Some of my favourite writers's books are generally thought as teens books - though the best ones turn up in the adult's section too. I do like reading adult books too but I find it harder to choose what to read. In the teenage section there's a limited number of books generally of authors I've read something by or at least heard of. In the adult section there's thousands and thousands of books and it's hard to know where to start in finding a good one that I'll like.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2006, 1:41 am 

Welcome to the club, Child of Odin and Elanor! :) I'll read adult books mostly (esp. the classics or 20th century English lit with a bit of Russian thrown in-- love Crime and Punishment) but I do still enjoy books in the youth section. It's just a fun way to relax. A favorite there is "Samurai's Tale" by Erik Christian Haagard (sp?), also his "Cromwell's Boy," Madeline L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time" and "The Westing Game," though I can't remember the author of the last. Then who can pass up the children's series "Harry Potter" or our own Tolkien's "The Hobbit"? :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2006, 3:34 pm 

Hello *waves*
I didn't request a membership of this honorable club yet, but I've been following it more or less. I just thought it was a pity to see it slowly fade into oblivion, so in attempt to rescue the club... :angel:
*posts*

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Yayyyy thanx for bumping! It's sad when nice clubs die.

So... what topic could us old senior citizens possibly discuss? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2006, 7:14 pm 

I still tend to read some stuff in the "young adult" section. When I was reading the His Dark Materials trilogy...I had to search the entire "young adult" section for them....felt a bit odd. But I've definately been trying to read more "adult" books. Just can't really find anything....:P SOOO many books....so little time.

"Senior citizens"!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome....hmmmmmmm.....topic. Oh, so many choices.

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29th, 2006, 5:59 pm 

-giggles- I am Not a senior citizen ...yet. according to my young cousins though, we'll all be ancient when we hit 30...:p I disagree, I won't be old til I'm 57, don't ask me why, but I'll be about to retire by then...I hope sooo then I'll consider myself old, eh?

Soo...topics, topics. How about, what's one of your favorite memories that involved you being an "adult" of 18 or older? Like the first time you voted, moved out, ect?

Mine would be, hmmm...probably moving out to a new town on my own, I graduated college and moved into my own place a month later, new job, new place...it was kinda scary, but also so fulfilling, made me feel like I'd done something right, if that makes sense. Like college and school were all worth it, my hard work and all had paid off. But, of course, I also loved the first time I got to vote, because it was a presidential election....that made me truly feel American, like I really did have a part in the gov't ...no matter how small. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 69  Next