Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 5:39 am 

Yeah, that's it, thanks Numa. I actually did google it but assumed I would find it under IMDB... So thanks! :-)

EDIT: Okay, so I'm reading Emma and I'm on chapter 10 now and I keep getting more and more annoyed with her. She's setting Harriet up with Mr. Elton, fair enough but will she stay so intolerably supercilious for the rest of the book? Yeah, I know there is a point to it but still...
I've read P&P and Northanger Abbey and I find Emma really silly... and I admit I never was a romantic.. I wonder if that can have anything to do with it... ;-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 1:34 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Actually, Emma is quite possibly my favourite Austen book.

I think the major difference with Emma is that she is rich, so her main object in life is not to try and get married, because she is already wealthy. And also she has been spoilt, and I think is genuinely quite a lonely person if you think about it. So she enjoys in trying to do well by other people. Which is how her match-making comes about.

Like all of Austen's heroines, she will grow and learn by her mistakes. I actually think she is one of the most flawed heroines, but she also makes the biggest journey, and I think ultimately, that is what makes her such a great character, because she is human.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 2:12 pm 

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good about Emma, the novel that is!! ;-) and from you among others!

So far Emma's just spoiled and behaving intolerably know-it-all and we learn how perfect she is, how talented this and skilled in that...

I really hope the growing-personal development part soon starts. It's so hard to pick up the book and read a couple more chapters when she's so annoying.. but I'll try to tonight... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 3:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I think though even now, when she has these ideas and thinks she knows best, her attention to her father, and making sure is happy above herself, is a great credit to her. Also, she genuinely loves Mrs. Weston and realizes just how much she has because of her love and devotion over the years.

Also, most of the other Austen heroines live in a community that is large or has lots of young people, or even have more relatives. Emma is pretty much alone with her father and people older than her, so when Harriet appears it is only natural that she would latch onto her, and try and make her a better person in status and character.

Again, her perfection is never something she assumes for herself (although other Austen ladies like Mr. Bingley's sister and the Dashwood's sister-in-law you can imagine call themselves perfect and believe it) but is what is said by other people. She is fully aware her own skills are limited and especially when later on she is met with someone talented than herself.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 3:43 pm 

It's sweet... I really like how you defend her, Gimli dear.. like you would stand up for a good friend. :-)

I will read a little bit further and come back here to discuss her again... promise me you'll be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2008, 10:36 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

:bye2: hey, guys! I just have to say that this conversation, JF and Ea, has been brilliant... since I too have just started reading Emma it's really insightful to read through this (btw, I am really enjoying Emma... :P). :yes:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2008, 4:53 pm 

Well, JF likes Emma and I can't quite form my true opinion of it before I finish. How do you like it so far?

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Also, most of the other Austen heroines live in a community that is large or has lots of young people, or even have more relatives. Emma is pretty much alone with her father and people older than her, so when Harriet appears it is only natural that she would latch onto her, and try and make her a better person in status and character.

Again, her perfection is never something she assumes for herself (although other Austen ladies like Mr. Bingley's sister and the Dashwood's sister-in-law you can imagine call themselves perfect and believe it) but is what is said by other people. She is fully aware her own skills are limited and especially when later on she is met with someone talented than herself.

That may be true.. and I didn't realise until a little into the book that Emma is actaully living in such a secluded place - poor girl. On the other hand she still has Jane Fairfax that fits her in age and social position as much as Harriet does... and she admits she ought to pay more attention to Miss Fairfax.

She might not assume her own perfection in the intolerable way e.g. Mr. Bingley's sister does, however, Emma is fully aware of her good breeding, her manners and her social status. She knows what is expected of a lady in her position and she tries her best to fulfil it. I saw it as snobbish in the beginning but I can now begin to see that she is also guided and limited within those norms - but that's the way it was for women (and men) at that time - and might even still be. :-)

Alright, still a couple of chapters to go.. I've been too busy to read much lately, but I hope to finish over the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 1:06 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yeah, sometimes I get a bit defensive with my characters... :blush: :P

Yes PD, what do you think of it so far? :-)

Well Jane Fairfax is the right age, but she is rarely there and definitely Emma is jealous of her, as when any letter is received from her, no-one talks of anything else for weeks, so it's bound to irritate her a bit. She is in Highgrove all the time so really no-one makes a fuss over her as they do Jane. But she does realise she has neglected her while she was there, mainly because she is so tired of hearing about her, which isn't Jane's fault, it's her aunt's.

That is very true. She is aware of the class in which she is in, and what is right and wrong for someone in her position. As the female of the household and the one who runs it, there are things in society she is expected to do, but later I think she does them more because she wants to and it is right, rather than it is her duty.

The last few chapters are some of my favourites. :yes:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 4:15 pm 

Excuse me... but isn't Mr. Knightley rather... old?

*won't say no further to the plot in order not to spoil it for la PD*

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 4:49 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Not really, no. He is only 16 years older than her, and still in the prime of his life. It was encouraged back then to wed people who were some years older than yourself for security and also older men are more wise and not so foolish and rash as the younger ones.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 10:51 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I actually am enjoying Emma… although I’m not that far into it yet… only to chapter 10. :erm: I just haven’t had the time to sit down and really start reading it. But all that aside, I think it’s pretty good and I have to say I agree with JF on it and on the character, Emma, herself. :yes: (sorry Ea ;))

Lol, and don’t worry about spoiling the plot for me, you guys. ;) I love spoilers and I’d seek them out if I really wanted to figure it out anyway. :P But thanks all the same for being considerate of me. And for this one time I will try not to spoil it for myself too much.

I am sorry that I can’t jump into your convo more though… but I haven’t gotten far enough to really understand what you’re talking about right now. :P I will say, however, that at this point probably my favorite character is Mr. Knightley. But I think Emma is pretty neat too... and I cant' wait to see how these match-making is going to work out. :erm: it's gonna come back and bite her, isn't it?

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 6:43 pm 

Alright, I imagined an old Mr. Knightley... based on the first chapters where he seem quite... wise and also with regard to the way Emma treats him - amd the way he treats Emma.

Well PD, we can still discuss the book with attention to the chapters you have already covered if you want.
And I agree with you..Mr. Knightley is very agreeable. :-)

Post subject: Re: The offical Jane Austen fan club
PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 3:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Can I join please? :) I am still reading her works but loves them.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8