Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: After Sauron is defeaten...
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 2:12 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I have always been wondering... when Sauron dies all his slaves die right? But what becomes of example Shelob?? And more interesting the goblins in Moria?

With love, by Lembas.

'The rewards of flirting are more greater than the risks, be sexy and provocative.'

Post subject: Re: After Sauron is defeaten...
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 2:26 pm 

They survive.

:goofy:

Tolkien says of Shelob:
Quote:
"Shelob was gone; and whether she lay long in her lair, nursing her malice and her misery, and in slow years of darkness healed herself from within, rebuilding her clustered eyes, until with hunger like death she spun once more her dreadful snares in the glens of the Mountains of Shadow, this tale does not tell."

As for the Moria orcs, I think a lot of them went to fight the dwarves and men of Dale, and so some were killed. And when Sauron was defeated, they were pretty much destroyed or fled. So possibly dwarves went back to Moria? We don't know.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 4:32 pm 

^Poor Shelob... what a fate... healing herself from within during long years of darkness.. until she came forth with a hunger like death... *shudder*

But only Sauron's most powerful slaves died with him, right? Like the Ringwraiths would go poof because they were already dead and only existed because of Sauron's powerful magic. Shelob was not a slave of Sauron as such, she was an old creature and kind of her own. She had more of a beneficial collaboration with Mordor.. like she had had her lair there for centuries which was pretty handy for Sauron as she served as a watchdog so he'd feed her and eveyone was happy - exept probably poor prisoners who ended up on her dinner plate... :P

The other races that supported Sauron either of their free will or out of fear or because they were under a spell would probably go back to where they came from and a lot of them might have been killed when they fled.

^I'm pretty sure I read this.. but I don't remember where... :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 2:06 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Hmm i remembered about Old Shelob' when Nurr gave the quote. Still im quite interested about goblins in Moria. ^^

With love, by Lembas.

'The rewards of flirting are more greater than the risks, be sexy and provocative.'

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 12:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, Shelob wasn't exactly a servant, She helped Sauron keep his passage safe and in exchange (or to make sure she keeps doing it :lol: ) he'll randomly send and orc or two in the tunnel. as for the goblins, I agree with Nurrantiel Mashiara.

"Looking behind"

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 3:41 pm 
Elf
Elf

Good point, I assumed that because evil had been vanquished, and ME is effectively meant to be an earlier version of our earth the orcs eventually died out and Moria was long forgotten about.

I did see on Wikipedia (not the most reliable source in the world tbh) that Tolkien once considered writing a sequel set during Eldarion's reign as King of Gondor, in which a form of evil (it was never stated what) once again threatened Middle Earth. Maybe he intentionally left what happened to the likes of Shelob and the Orcs ambiguous so he could contemplate a possible sequel

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 5:42 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

When Sauron fell, his armies did not all die, but their ranks were broken and they fled without the evil will of Sauron driving them like a whip. Tolkien states in the appendices that Aragorn spent pretty much his entire reign as king fighting bands of orcs that threatened the people of Middle-earth.

As for Moria, with the Balrog dead and the strength of evil diminished, I believe the Dwarves wished to reclaim Moria. I do not recall coming across anything saying that they actually did, if any such thing was ever written.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf