Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Movies You Cannot See Again
PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 11:54 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I sure hope I'm not the only one who has these times where you've seen a movie and you realise you will never be able to go through and watch it again. It can be a million different reasons. Maybe it was so horrible that you can only willingly go through it once and only once. Or maybe it was so terrifying that you will never want to see it lest you get an entire month of nightmares. Here's my somewhat short list.

Requiem for a Dream. One day I will probably see this but for now, I really don't want to know. The absolutely realistic depiction of the complete and utter ruin of people's lives due to drugs is simply quite horrific. And the last ten minutes with the accompanying music is just...beyond words.

Mysterious Skin. Funny how the two NC-17 movies I've seen are the ones that I don't want to see again. Of course, naked Joseph Gordon-Levitt was nothing but fanservice but the ending was so depressing and horrific even going through knowing what happened is just...hard to go through again. Once again, the realistic depiction and the simple manner it handled the issue was what really makes me not want to see it again.

Seven. Right, this just...disturbed. Badly. I might see it again come Christmasie but right now. No, just no. The murders are simply too horrific to even talk about.

Threads. Just reading the Wikipedia entry to this movie made me shiver. And while technically I didn't see the entire movie, I saw the last ten minutes and THAT was enough for me to stop watching completely. It was just that horrific.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 12:04 pm 

Pretty much all horror movies! :P
Particularly It which I happened to watch a part of when I was younger... that scene with the clown materialising in the bathroom floor it gave me nightmares for weeks and even years afterwards.

American History X. Actually, I did watch it years later but that scene where Edward Norton kills the black guy by stepping on his head.. ewww....
But like I said, I watched it again another time... and it is a good movie.

A movie like Fight Club, I didn't dare to watch it for years because I thought it would be too graphic but finally I mustered the courage to see it and it turned out it wasn't bad at all. The movie did disappoint though... I had expected something else, less schizophrenia!!

So basically, the movies I mentioned here are scary or gory I wouldn't see them again based on certain scenes.

There are other movies I wouldn't see again because I was about to die from boredom when watching them... I'll post them later. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 12:32 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Cloverfield. Terrible movie. Never thought a movie would give me a bigger migraine than a roller coaster or headbanging for hours.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 2:11 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

The Pursuit of Happiness. I obsess over all things Will Smith, but this movie was so DEPRESSING that I simply cannot watch it again.

Also, anything with Nicholas Cage. He's awful. :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 8:41 am 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

The Wrestler

Not that I don't want to see it again, hell I bought the blu-ray. It just kills me at the end. It's so depressing and sad and poignant. How this did not get the Oscar is beyond me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 3:39 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I have an extremely small list, but here it is:
Jurassic Park III- One of the worst sequels I have ever seen! Its only saving grace was the subplot about the super-smart Raptors. That had a lot of potential, but was nowhere near enough to make me want to watch it again. To paraphrase what the friend I saw it with said, it was like the writer(s) took the most forgettable parts of the books, threw them together, and constructed a virtually miniscule plot that served only to get the characters from one place to another, or make them encounter whatever dinosaur wanted to eat them next. The first two movies were excellent, enchanting, even, especially the original, but this one was written too much like a B-monster movie: too much of the whole "Characters see the monster, monster chases them, and maybe manages to eat one or two of them while doing so" thing, and not enough concrete, engaging story, which the first two films had loads of.

The Crow- Too much violence and blood-letting from the get-go. My parents and I went to see it in the theatre, and we disliked it so much that we walked out. Both my dad and I are pretty okay with shoot-em-ups, but this was just too much. Not even he was willing to sit through it!

The Nightmare On Elm Street movie whose plot involved Freddy Krueger managing to escape from the fictional/movie world into the real one and going on a killing spree. I stay away from slasher movies like this anyway (which is why I've never seen any of the others in this series or the Friday The 13th one), but for some reason, maybe because I thought the idea sounded interesting, I decided to watch it late one night. Suffice it to say it scared the bejesus out of me, so much so that I refuse to sit through it again.

The Mist- I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with this (and I read the novella it was based on after seeing the film). It's interesting, and scary as hell, basically a pretty good movie. The thing is, the ending is devastatingly bleak! For at least two or three minutes after the credits started rolling, I just sat there, shaking my head and thinking, "My god, that's depressing =/!" It's a good movie, but a total downer =\!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 7:27 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I don't think I have ever seen a film that I didn't want to watch again because of its violent or depressing content, only because I don't watch those sort of films. I guess though if and when I see Schindler's List that will be one of them.

The Importance of Being Earnest (remake) - when people mess around with perfection and the perfection includes the wit of Oscar Wilde, it makes me mad. The only film I have ever watched that made me feel ill, and gave me a headache. The kick in the teeth moment came near the end of the film when the men with wisdom decided to give Gwendolyn and Earnest the wonderful moment of each getting tattoos on their arses... just what Wilde would have wanted..... the only saving grace was Rupert Everett and his deliciously droll Algernon prevented me from doing something I would regret.... namely homocide. This was the film that taught me (alas too late) that when a film is bad, don't hope and wait that it will get better.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 9:29 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

^Oh yeesh, Schindler's List. That was bad enough going through once. I alternated between depressed and wondering when it'd be over, and by the end I felt... heavy.

The Ring. Omigah.

Can't think of anything else.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 5:22 am 

Gone With Wind. It was sooooo incredibly long.. why doesn't it end when they get married and are happy? There was way too much civil war stuff and then I got awfully bored and lost interest.. It felt like it was two movies in one...

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on November 16th, 2010, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2010, 11:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ea, I watched Gone With the Wind about a year ago with my sister. I agree it felt almost like two movies in one, but I actually loved all the Civil War stuff. :-D It was rather depressing, though. Poor stupid people. :confused:

As for movies I can't see again, The Brothers Grimm tops my list. I saw it a looong time ago, and it was just so creepy and odd, it didn't make sense to me. For weeks afterward, after waking up to use the bathroom, I'd be terrified to open the bathroom door to go back to my room for fear I'd see swarms of insects and spiders coming at me.

I don't know if I was just too young or what, but I am never going to see that movie again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 4:24 pm 
Elf
Elf

The Golden Compass. They murdered that film. :closedeyes:

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 8:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Darkheart- Really? Speaking as someone who read the books before seeing the movie (and I'm guessing you fall into the same category), I thought they did a great job transferring it from novel to film, and wish they'd adapt the other two books as well, even if only as a straight-to-DVD/video thing. Anything in particular you didn't like, just out of curiosity?

I'll add another film to my list: Death In Love. In terms of this movie, it was a case of expecting one thing and getting another. The plot summary in the TV info box about it made it sound very promising (two adult sons trying to come to terms with the fact that their mother had a romantic relationship with the Nazi doctor who experimented on them when they were boys), but what it was instead was an overload of sex with a bit of storyline sprinkled in. None of the sex was graphic, and I'm far from being a prude, but that was the substance of it :/. Not enjoyable in the least :\! I still can't believe I sat through the whole thing :/!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 3:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

I just felt that they missed too much out of it. A lot of the action and the drama seemed a little downplayed to me, in contrast with the book, and I just don't think it worked. Looking at it was an entirely separate entity from the book, I can appreciate it, but as a fanatic for the small details - like the fact that it ought to have been the Master poisoning Lord Asriel - it didn't really appeal to me. Picky, yes, but film adaptation in general put me on edge. I hate the way they change things. :P

I have to admit though, Mrs Coulter gave me the shivers. That woman really did scream evil. :P

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 1:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My list actually isn't that long...

Dinotopia: When I was in boarding school, we used to be allowed to watch movies two times a week - Wednesday nights and Sunday afternoons. Except that it was the entire school. And once in a while, the teachers would force us to let the little kids chose. And this was their choice. This movie was so horrendously BORING that I wanted to kill things. Seriously. I would rather poke myself in the eye than sit through four hours of it ever again in my life.

Hide and Seek: So. Creepy. Nightmares for ages. I don't like horror movies, so I generally stay away from them.

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 4:27 pm 
Elf
Elf

Schindler's List. I always watch it and think that I won't want to watch it again, and I'm really reluctant to if anybody ever wants to watch it, because it has the same effect on me every time I see it, and it doesn't get any easier to watch...

For an entirely different reason, Matilda.
I was in hospital when I was ten, and I was there for more than three months with a broken femur...so I was stuck in bed too.
And every single day...someone would watch Matilda.
It was literally maddening. Til one day, I asked my dad to hide the video so that I'd get a rest from seeing it for a few days!
But yeah...I'd rather never see it again.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 1:32 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Darkheart- Ah, gotcha 8). I've yet to see a movie adaptation of a book that wasn't true to the spirit of the source material in any fashion or form, but I'm sure I will eventually. In terms of the downplaying of the action you mentioned, my guess is that was due to the fact that the target audience was probably somewhat younger than the intended audience for the novels, so they had to make it a bit less scary and violent (the scene of Iorek fighting to win back his position as king of the bears is one of the things that comes to mind that was probably given that treatment).
Quote:
Picky, yes, but film adaptation in general put me on edge. I hate the way they change things. :P
Nothing wrong with feeling protective of a book whose story you really enjoyed when you read it :).

That she was :yes:. Nicole Kidman did a great job with the role 8). Really, the entire cast, both those who appeared on screen and those who just provided voices, like Ian McKellen, did :].

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next