Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sherlock Holmes...
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 7:05 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Welcome to 221b Baker Street! :) I didn't see a thread for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle anywhere, soooo.. I thought I'd start one.

What stories have you read? Thoughts on the movie and TV adaptations? And there better not be any John-lock fans out there... :grr: *deathstare* ( ;) jk)

Post anything to do with Mr. Holmes here. :detective:

Post subject: Re: Sherlock Holmes...
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 11:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmmm, gosh, I wonder if I'll feel at home on this thread? ;-)

Stories I've read: all of them, so many times I've lost count! The Hound of the Baskervilles is my favorite. I love the story, and I love how Holmes trusts Watson to step up and handle part of the investigation himself.

Movies and tv: I love the new movies (I am married to Holmes, after all), and I'm a very difficult person to impress when it comes to on-screen Holmes adaptations. You can tell they were made by fans of the stories, since there are things like character details picked out from the stories that are so often overlooked. As for tv shows, the only one I'll watch is the series that stars Jeremy Brett, who is in my opinion the best Holmes to ever appear on film. Of course, I do have a soft spot for the show that started my Holmes obsession, a childrens show called Wishbone. Oh how I wish they still aired that show on tv, I would still watch it! Wishbone was an adorable Holmes.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2012, 5:29 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hmm.. I think i vaguely remember Wishbone.. Not sure though.
I actually havn't read all of the stories yet. :blush: *shame on me* But im getting there.. ish.. lol

I rrrrrealllly want to see BCC's Sherlock, but im still waiting on an answer from my parents on that one. Bleh.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 12:38 am 
Istari
Istari

Wishbone, the cute little Jack Russel Terrier with a pawprint on his ear who loved to read, and imagined himself as a character from a classic novel in each episode. That show is what made me fall in love with reading.

And hey, the fact that you're reading them is what counts, not how many you've read or how many times you've read them. :) What is your favorite story so far? And if you have any Holmes questions, I'm always ready and eager to give answers, if I can.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 11:02 am 

I came onto this thread thinking "I KNOW we had a Holmes thread somewhere, I know it, where is it??" and finally found it in the movies section. :duh: I can't believe we actually didn't have one about the stories themselves.

I've been reading Holmes for ages. My dad has a couple volume collections, and some of my earliest memories are going downstairs in my robe, pulling down one of the books, and curling up on the couch with it. The full definition of "curling up with a book". :lol: Whenever I hear that phrase I think Holmes because that's what I always did.

I don't know what my favorite stories would be though...I love them all! I do really enjoy Hound of the Baskervilles, that would probably be my favorite. Even though it's not really the "story" as it's basically a full book. I always remember getting chills with "The Engineer's Thumb" and "The Copper Beeches". And it was always fun to figure things out before Holmes. I remember reading "The Five Orange Pips" and just being like, "It' the KKK! Duh! Why don't you get it?" and then finally realizing that of course, when Doyle wrote it, the KKK wouldn't quite be well known across the pond. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 8:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I remember Wishbone now! :D That show was so cute.
Idk what my favorite story is.... I really like A Scandal in Bohemia, i guess.

One day i really want to send a random person an envelope with five orange pips in it and write "KKK"
That oughta be fun. :lol:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2012, 12:31 am 

Oo, Holmes! I came to him kind of late, just a few years ago. But I found an old annotated copy of all the stories sitting around the house, complete with illustrations and everything, which I'm very grateful for. (Sidney Paget's illustrations are the best.) The annotations are a little insane, though, and it took me a bit to realize that there's a tradition of treating Holmes like a historical figure and trying to fit the stories into actual historic events. At first I was reading them and thinking, 'Um, these people do know that this is a work of fiction, don't they?' but now I think it's really fabulous that you can fit a fictional character into a real era so well. I think this is why Holmes really brings the 19th century to life for me. :yes:

Anyway, my favorite story... it's tough to say. It's a little bit difficult too because I've watched the Jeremy Brett episodes so much they tend to color my impressions of stories, unless I've just finished reading them or something. (By the way, somehow I discovered Jeremy Brett about the same as I discovered the stories, and it was my favorite thing in the world to finish a new story and then go and immediately watch the corresponding episode for the first time and revel in the accuracy, sometimes to the word!) But, thinking about it, 'Silver Blaze' stands out in my mind ("the dog that doesn't bark in the night"!) and also 'The Man with the Twisted Lip.' (This is one instance where the Granada series disappointed me a little-- they just missed out on the the comedy of Holmes sort of attacking a man with a sponge and voila! the suspect becomes the victim! :lol: I don't think I saw that coming at all when I read the story for the first time!)

Re: Five Orange Pips.... exactly! The fact that it was the KKK was so obvious! :teehee: But I'm sure in Doyle's time and place it was an obscure bit of knowledge and not something that immediately occurred to an Englishman.

Re: The Engineer's Thumb... :hide: I remember squirming when I read that one. Ew!!

Oo, also that reminds me of 'The Sign of Four,' and the creepy image of the smiling dead man though the keyhole. That gave me chills.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 1:27 am 
Istari
Istari

Ooo, 'The Sign Of Four'! Yes, the smiling dead man was a creepy mental image! And quite frankly, he was a little creepy in the Jeremy Brett movie as well. 'A Scandal In Bohemia' is one of my favorites, probably because a woman is able to give Holmes the slip! 'The Adventure of the Empty House' is definitely a favorite of mine though! I was one happy little kid when I saw the words 'The Return of Sherlock Holmes'!

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 12:20 am 
Istari
Istari

Has anyone ever listened to the old Holmes radio programs they had way back when, before tv? I love listening to them, its so fun!

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 11:53 am 

No, sadly I haven't :-( I'm not sure if I'd be able to find those on the internet, but they sound like fun!

I do have an audiobook of a few stories (Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway and Other Stories), read by Benedict Cumberbatch. Also very nice :)

PostPosted: October 26th, 2012, 4:48 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

^ Read by Benedict Cumberbatch? Awesome!

I don't have any audiobooks, I usually have actual books :) But maybe I'll get some...

PostPosted: October 27th, 2012, 10:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

I've never listened to the audiobooks, just the old shows that are more like a play than a reading of the story.

Oh, there's a new Sherlock Holmes video game coming out! I'm excited, although with as old as my computer is it probably wont be compatible. :-( Anyone else like to play the Holmes computer games?

PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 10:33 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

^ I didn't know there were those! Unfortunately my computer isn't compatible with most discs, but hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on the new one... :)

PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 11:08 pm 
Istari
Istari

I have four Holmes computer games, they're older ones. They're fun, although sometimes I have to look up game guides online because I get stuck. Its not always easy to figure out what to do next!

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 11:35 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Elena Murray wrote:
No, sadly I haven't :-( I'm not sure if I'd be able to find those on the internet, but they sound like fun!

I do have an audiobook of a few stories (Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway and Other Stories), read by Benedict Cumberbatch. Also very nice :)

Ooooh! Where did you find that?

Anyway, I love the stories, and really need to find another anthology of them to read. There was one at my college library that I tried to read last Spring, but I just got so busy that I only got 50 pages in.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 12:24 am 
Istari
Istari

Found this in a news article I was reading, I have no idea if it is specifically for the town in Ohio, or an actual 'holiday' style celebration:

"This weekend is Sherlock Holmes Weekend, a vacation-related event to a murder mystery, but you can celebrate in your own way: Watch the recent movies or BBC TV show, or read some of the Sherlock short stories. You could even hold your own murder mystery party."

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend :lol: Now there is an actual Sherlock Holmes Week, and its an international celebration with different events going on in the different areas, held in July/August.