Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Songwriter's Thread
PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 7:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So lately I've been listening to a lot of fan-written Doctor Who songs (called Time Lord Rock, or Trock) on youtube, and it's made me want to pursue writing a song on my own (not necessarily Doctor Who related. XD) The problem? I have no idea how to go about doing this, as I have next to no knowledge of music theory and play no instruments aside from flute. The nice thing about being in college, however, is that I have a multitude of new friends who might be willing to teach me some basics of guitar, piano, etc. However, I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I would like to give this my best shot.

So, people of A-U.com, do any of you write songs in your spare time? Any advice you can give to a hopeless newbie like myself?

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

Post subject: Re: The Songwriter's Thread
PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 11:58 am 
Elf
Elf

Well, I have. And honestly I wont be much help to you because I'm a newbie myself. :p I've written a Doctor Who musical and played around with a few other songs but nothing's set in stone. But, from what I've done, you should just sing. :) Like, everywhere and everywhen. And play around with lyrics and things. Pick something you really like and write some stuff down.

We should form a Trock band!! :D

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 12:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Haha, singing I can DEFINITELY do! Except when I'm sick. Which is often since I started college. *glares at college* But I'm getting better! And I do know a bit of music theory and can read music, so that should make writing the actual music a tad bit easier. I'm actually considering making a thread where people can record themselves singing whatever they want and get feedback, but I feel like I should ask the mods permission first.

I'm reading your musical right now and really like what I see. I'm on the "Come Along, Pond" song right now which might be my favorite. We should TOTALLY start a Trock band!

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 2:37 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I like to write songs :) If you want to hear some of the one's I'm working on you can hear them here: http://www.youtube.com/user/isungmusic They are titled 'song preview'. The other videos are contest entries I did for Kpop songs.
I don't know a ton about music theory either-singing is my strong point. But I found these AWESOME programs that help a TON for people who don't know music theory like myself.
The first one is called Linux Multi Media Studio (LMMS). It was made by Linux, is completely legal and free and REALLY easy to use! :D It has what it calls a "piano roll" which is an entire piano keyboard laid out and you can click on any note to hear it and if it's the one you want you click on the space beside it and a green line (the note) appears. To change the time length of the note you just drag it with the mouse. TONS of instruments are available to use in LMMS and most sound awesome!
Also there is a fairly new program called Zya. It works partly with the internet so you need a good connection to use it well. In this program, if you have a microphone, you can sing the notes you want a certain instrument to play and Zya converts your voice into which ever instrument you select! That's AMAZING!!! I'm pretty sure Zya is free. If it isn't, I don't think it costs that much, and it would be worth buying I think.
Good luck! :D