Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Growing up with A-U
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 7:13 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Sounds kinda corny, but I was looking through my old posts from 2006-2009 and I find it almost unbelievable how ridiculous I used to be. I still am, but I had the mental capacity of a 5-year old when I first joined this forum. And I so wish that I could just go back and delete 2-3 years worth of posts just so I won't have to be associated with such idiocy. But I've definitely grown and changed (I was 15 at the time, now almost 20 - so there's my excuse) and learned quite a few lessons along the way (some from here). It's just crazy to look back on. Not to mention my common sense, tact and ability in graphics have also come a long way... I do have you guys to be thankful for really. Anyone else have anything embarrassing to reminisce about over the past 5-6 years on this forum? :teehee:

Also looking back on my past usernames... I think I've changed my name about 3 times (disregarding the random very temporary name changes that I did on a whim and that nobody would remember anyway) - I joined as lothlorien.elf, changed it to Haldir o Lórien a few weeks later which I kept for years, then changed it to Haldir of Lórien which I kept for a couple of months, and now I'm just Haldir.

I also just found one of the first banners I ever made. I can't believe I used to think this was good:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hahah, yes. I remember when Haldy first joined and what teh Great Poster was like in those early years. It will long live in infamy on this forum by those who experienced it. :teehee:

I actually think you are one of the few people I can say I have really noticed a change in over the years, some changes for good and some not so good. ;) But I am sure as heck glad you're around more now, as you may not post in the zany way you used it, but you still make an impact whenever you're around. :hug:

God, name changes. I joined as Gimli Elf-Friend then changed to Theoden then to Dwarrowdelf then I have been Sweeney Todd, Jack & Johnny's Fan and I *think* something to do with Norrington? I'm not sure. The last 2 were whims based on my current film loves so they don't count.

I should really change my name to Gimli really. Johnny's Fan is so un-unique and dated man. :P

EDIT: So I took the plunge. Watch people freak out. :tongue:

^ Hey, that's better than my first attempt. I love the colouring. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 7:30 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Unfortunately it's hard to forget the nature of the posts I used to make for those who have seen them... bahaha. But thanks Gimleh, that's really sweet :hug:

The only names I remember were Gimli and Johnny's Fan - I honestly just had a split-second of confusion when I saw someone reply to this post as Gimli, hehe. According to the movies, I should really dislike you and you should be spitting upon my grave. :teehee:

Edit:
I'm surprised the name Gimli was still available! As surprised I was that Haldir is now available.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 8:12 pm 

I´ve been around too long... :confused2:

I remember all the name changes!
and me? in all the years that have passed, I´ve never changed my name, not once
- haven´t even considered it as a possibility...
I thought it through eally well the first time and now feel that it´s become sort of a `second skin´ in life :)

I like Haldir and Gimli, they´re familiar (even though Gimli, threw me for a quick moment, I was reassured when I saw your sig set JF, eehhh Gimli)

4-5-6 years is a long time...ample opportunity to grow older & wiser.
I think I´m more or less the same person I was from the beginning...not as avid a LotR fan, as I used to be,
but I feel very sure of a possible emotional revival with The Hobbit! :-D

- here on AU, I used to hold back on my opinions, when the discussions started to get too loud,
- some members seemed to take offence quicker than others, so I found it best to take a step back, watch and then step in again.

Haldir - your older banner may be simpler, but it showed promise, even back then

good thread idea Haldy...a time for contemplation :bye2:

MvL/Nurr
my Aragorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 7:41 am 

I liked Haldir O Lórien... I kinda like long names! ;) Haldir still looks.. not quite right, but as long as you're happy with it. :)
And yes, like Gimli said, you're the member who developed the most over the years. You've always been very expressive in your posts and presence on the forum but I've never felt I really knew you.. like the real you.. maybe because you have changed so much. But I'm very comfortable with this Haldir!! :hug: And I'm so happy you're back and getting so involved in the Revival and awesome graphics making.
And by the way, why is that first banner not good? I like it, is that bad? :P

Gimli, I knew in a heartbeat that it was you going back to your roots.. although I liked Gimli Elf-Friend more.. that's how I got to know back then.. umm and it's a longer name!! ;)

Zan, I'm sure the Tolkien looove will return with The Hobbit. I'm hoping we can get a couple of LotR reading groups up over the summer as I feel like re-reading the books again.

I've tried before to look back on my old posts but the forum can't handle it.. and perhaps it's best to keep it that way.. I know I posted a lot in the LotR discussion threads for a couple of years. The forum was so huge with so many members so I found it easier to stick to a few boards and keep up with those topics. Later I tried to venture out into other parts of A-U and I think I've managed to make all of A-U my playgound now.
Umm.. and yeah, you already know, I never changed my name, because the one other name I want is taken so.. I might just stick with Eä actually.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 9:35 am 

For as long as I could remember, you'd been Haldir o Lorien. And then you went and changed twice! :P

JF, I have a feeling I'm still going to call you "JF". I don't know how I could not! Even with all those other names, you were always still "JF undergoing crazy fan obsession." :teehee:

The world might end if you changed your name, Ea! I mean, it's crazy enough that you don't have your orange Arwen banner. I can't even think what it would be like with more change!

I can't really tell how much I've changed on here. I mean, I started out when I was 16 and now I'm old as dirt, so I obviously changed some. But as I can't look back on old posts (unless I search a really long time), I don't really know how much. I know I started out really quiet, and tended to hang around the graphics section. (Because for some reason I thought I was good when I was embarrassingly awful.) It took me about a year and a half to branch out to other areas. But hey, I finally did!

Name changes...haven't had too many. I started as Nurrantiel and about two years in added the Mashiara. I know there were a few random ones for things like Hallowfest or Chameleon parties, but that's been it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 10:31 am 

^Why Mashiara? I've been meaning to ask for so long. It's not LotR-ish, is it? It always reminded me of some anime, but you don't strike me as an anime girl...

Nurr-dear, so ready for changes you are, lol! :teehee:
I did try to change my avatar once.. a few months back but it didn't feel right so I'm back with my usual Arwen-avatar. And I wanted to re-cycle one of my orange Arwn-banners recently but I had lost the url so if I wanted to use it I would have to upload it somewhere (*cough* since I have been to lazy to create an account somewhere and therefore is still evilly hotlinking back to my art masters' accounts!)
But your lovely banner is still orange-y and Arwen is back in my sig thanks to Ammy. It's all good. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 11:35 am 

Mashiara is a word from the Wheel of Time book series. It means "beloved of heart and soul" or "love lost beyond regaining". I thought it was a really pretty sounding word, and was on a really big Wheel of Time fan kick at the time. So I changed my name to just Mashiara for about a day, couldn't handle it without Nurr, and just combined them.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 1:09 pm 

Ooh, I see... I must read the Wheel of Time series sometime soon - it's been on my reading list forever. But I wonder if my library even has the books...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 4:21 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Yeah I'm still getting used to being just "Haldir", but I won't be changing it back because I've been waiting waaaaay too long for this name to free up for me. :p

@ Eä: Aww thanks! :hug: Yeah, it's hard for me to realize how different I used to be. I don't even realize that I've changed that much. I don't think I even have, it's just the way I used to post and express myself was really... loud. But this is pretty much me, and how everyone knows me to be now. I'm content with this Haldir too. :teehee: Regarding the banner - I dunno, I guess since I think I've improved quite a bit, the first things I ever made seem so dull and mediocre now. I'm glad you like it though! :p

And also - what would you do if the name you've always wanted suddenly frees up for you? I also can't imagine seeing you use a different avatar... it would be so odd to see you with anything but your usual one!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 5:12 pm 

Nah.. you're right, I wouldn't change my name even if I could... it wouldn't feel right. Eleniel was my tagger-identity after all and those days are long gone. I've considered using a custom title but didn't get around to do it. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 5:36 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Okay... the first time I knew you, Haldir, you were Haldir O Lorien, and that's all I know you for. And then I always knew JF as... well... JF. So it's weird to see Haldir and Gimli. And I admit, it took me a second to realize who Gimli was and then it was like "Oh..."

And Haldir... that first banner is WAY better than my first couple of banners XD.

Hm... do you remember Jax Nova, that lovely poet? And how he used to be my AU dad, and you were his AU mom, so you were my AU grandma? But when he left the AU family tree, you became my Godmother? Even though my first like... year or so of being on the forum was spent in the rpg section.

But I remember when I joined I was ShieldMaiden, and then I don't remember how long later I changed to Eruraina which only really changed for the Yule ball Masquerade. Oh, wait, I did have it as Eruraina Nova for awhile when Jax Nova first 'adopted' me. But I don't think I could ever changed my name... even though I change sig sets so often. But at least I usually keep the theme the same :)

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 6:44 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Hahaha, with the revival comes a bit of change it seems!

And of course I remember Jax Nova! It's sad that he's not around anymore, we had some pretty fun times here back on the day. Unfortunately the family tree is pretty much dead now, but I still remember my babies and my momma (Pandy). I definitely miss the family tree... hopefully we can get that going again sometime. I remember Eruraina Nova. :p

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Growing up with A-U
PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 8:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

:D I joined and I was aralas_29 then I forgot about AU for a while after I shrugged off my LotR craziness. But then it came back again, after a year, and I switched to icefire29 for like, a day then changed into icefire/aralas_29 because of Storybird. My username is icefire29 on Storybird. Then I changed back to aralas_29. I don't remember much from the my early days here except for the Legolas fan club :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 4:15 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel wrote:
Sounds kinda corny, but I was looking through my old posts from 2006-2009 and I find it almost unbelievable how ridiculous I used to be. I still am, but I had the mental capacity of a 5-year old when I first joined this forum. And I so wish that I could just go back and delete 2-3 years worth of posts just so I won't have to be associated with such idiocy. But I've definitely grown and changed (I was 15 at the time, now almost 20 - so there's my excuse) and learned quite a few lessons along the way (some from here). It's just crazy to look back on. Not to mention my common sense, tact and ability in graphics have also come a long way... I do have you guys to be thankful for really. Anyone else have anything embarrassing to reminisce about over the past 5-6 years on this forum? :teehee:

Also looking back on my past usernames... I think I've changed my name about 3 times (disregarding the random very temporary name changes that I did on a whim and that nobody would remember anyway) - I joined as lothlorien.elf, changed it to Haldir o Lórien a few weeks later which I kept for years, then changed it to Haldir of Lórien which I kept for a couple of months, and now I'm just Haldir.

I also just found one of the first banners I ever made. I can't believe I used to think this was good:

Aredhel, this was a fascinating read! Jax was is gone???

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel wrote:
Anyone else have anything embarrassing to reminisce about over the past 5-6 years on this forum?

Yeah, I was being a grumpy curmudgeon because I couldn't seem to have a 'book conversation in the 'books' forums without the damned PJ fanfics getting in the way. I had a nice PM 'talking to' from a mod about it. :lol: I have to say it was polite, professional private modding, not a publicly displayed rant directed at me. ;)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Errrrr ... I joined just a month ago ... so if anyone has noticed any changes since then they definitely have nothing to do with growing up (it has been in and out sideways occasionally over the decades before I joined) ... :confused2: