Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Family Tree Situation
PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 9:25 pm 

AKA - Where have they gone?

The family trees have been a very important asset to building and strengthening this community over the past few years. I have had a lot of fun organising and overseeing their growth for some time, however, it has come to my attention that I am unable to take care of these trees anymore. Therefore, I am proposing to put the family trees on hiatus as we focus on the revival and strengthening our forum. For now I will place the family tree threads in the Elrond's Library (the archive forum) where they will be locked until further notice. This does not mean that families cannot continue roleplaying together. However, I urge you all to make use of this time to strengthen your ties with everyone on the forum so that this place can continue to be welcoming and accepting of all.

If you are interested in taking over and overseeing the organisation of the family trees, drawing family trees based on the lists I've written, or starting new family trees please PM me personally. I would love to see the family trees continue in some fashion, but to do so will require the help of members wiling to take on the responsibility. Thanks for your understanding!

Larael

P.S. Feel free to discuss below how you might feel on this issue, especially if you see the creation of new family trees as being a viable option for the future. [Just think of all the new members we'll have as we approach 'The Hobbit' release! :D ]

Post subject: Re: Family Tree Situation
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 9:33 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So I've been lurking here since this was posted without commenting, but I figured I may as well :P
I wasn't really surprised to see them go, but I have to admit I have been missing H~Line, even if it wasn't very active recently. It has been in the past, and we still had our moments. Anyways, I'd love to see new family trees created. I actually think less pages/less cluttered first posts with the sheer amount of people there seems to be might attract more people to join. Maybe, I really have no idea, but there you go.

My general point is, I'd love to see them back/new ones, and I'm quite happy to take on some organising duties :) I might be in the minority on this, but I for one loved the randomness of them/how much they helped get to know people. Yeah. I'll leave it at that. :D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 5:12 pm 

Thanks for posting, Enno! :) I was hoping someone would step up and give me some sort of feel for where they'd like to see the family trees in the future - and you did just that! Also, thanks for volunteering to take on some organising duties. At this point I think we'll need to wait and see if anyone else wants to help out. [Two/three heads are better than one!] And don't worry, whatever team of people takes this on, I will not leave all of you right away. I will certainly still be available for helping to organise/gather updates. [I'm thinking this means that we're going to be heading in the direction of creating new trees! Very exciting! :) ]

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 1:41 am 
Istari
Istari

I can help, I have enjoyed the sense of belonging that the family trees give (even if I only lurked in the background). If there is anything I can do, just let me know!

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 3:57 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I loved doing the family trees. Even though the line I was a part of never was very active.

I think it would be a great idea to start new ones. I mean, I'll miss the old ones, but with the new members that keep coming, and having lost many older members, I think it would be best.

I would be willing to help out with them as well. I guess the first thing that should be decided is what the lines should be. How did each AU family tree start in the first place, anyway?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: July 12th, 2011, 11:24 pm 

So, I thought it would be best for me to contact a few of the original "line leaders" to see if they would like to restart the trees? If so, then we'll stick with those few [I think it's just Arweb, Elanor, and Eru left], and we can always add on as needed. I'll get back to all of you soon enough.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 6:29 am 

Just a thought: how would you go about old/new claims to eligble characters/partners for marriage? Would you wipe the slate clean and let people claim or re-claim they spouses again? What about the very popular characters and actors? Like Legolas/Orlando Bloom, Aragorn/Viggo Mortensen etc.? Is it even possible to make it fair game?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 11:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Eä ~ Just my thoughts, but I actually think the way to make it fair is to let everyone stick with their original partners, but put a list up? So that there's a period of time where you have to go back and re-claim your partner, and then after that it's opened up to anyone? No idea how long the period should be, but I think that's best. It's not exactly fair to completely start again when people have had that partner for a long time.

The very popular ones.. the ones who aren't taken [if there actually are any] and then the ones that don't get claimed, I think should be put up for auction in a way. See how many people want to claim them, and pick at random?

That way it'd be fair, and everyone would get a chance. I think people on AU are mature enough not to fight if they don't win, otherwise I wouldn't suggest it.

Also, for the old partners being re-claimed, at the end of the however long they have to re-claim, there should be an extra period of time when the people who originally had them, get a PM or a nudge just in case they hadn't seen it, and still want to keep their partners :)

Just my thoughts and I'm more than happy to organise something regarding this when the family trees get revamped/restarted :D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 10:26 pm 

I think that's an excellent idea, Enno! [I'm so glad we have so many people interested in this, because I would have never considered that particular issue!]

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 8:42 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I'd like to help. I loved being part of Eru's line. If old line founders are still around then it would be good if they could start lines again, though maybe not recycle all the people that were on them before.Most of them have left - but
it wold mean people who wanted to stay on those lines could do so.
I would be very happy to start a line if needed or draw the familly tree's.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 8:47 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Just curious since I'm new, what exactly are the family trees?

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 11:36 pm 
Maia
Maia

I never got to be a part of the family trees and I would love to see them popular again. I really wanted to be a part of them!!!

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know!

Siggy set made by the amazing Lembas!

PostPosted: September 11th, 2011, 1:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Erkenhelm wrote:
Just curious since I'm new, what exactly are the family trees?

This is just my definition of what I experienced but;

Family trees are a place where members can get 'adopted' by other members and join in with different family celebrations etc. There was time when there were marriages and the members of the family roleplayed themselves and [if they had one] their partner.

Basically it's just a place where you can go and get to know other members/post random nonsense/just have fun and talk to a variety of people that you might not have come across elsewhere on the forum.

H~Line as it was was a place of random battles to do with certain peace offerings, filled with many skittles and kidnapping the doctor and the TARDIS :eyeroll: :innocent:

My point is, I don't know why they were originally created, or what used to happen, but to me it's just a friendly place where you can get to know other members :D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 11th, 2011, 4:37 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Obviousely there were other awesome lines too...like Erulisseis....:)

PostPosted: September 11th, 2011, 5:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

^Of course. I'm just drawing on my own experience - don't want to speak for the other lines as I wasn't a part of them, but I'm sure they were all absolutely amazing places to be, as will any new ones be, simply because the people of AU are amazing.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 7:19 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

It definitely helped create the sense of us all being one big family. :)

I shall continue as Teh Great Matriarch of my line with Éomer as my hubby. :D

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next