Post subject: Pieces from the Past: PotC OC Histories
PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 8:36 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

<center>PD's Pieces from the Past
Pirates of the Caribbean OC Histories

UPDATED || October 19, 2010

Rating:

PG-13 (for sequences of action/adventure, violence, frightening images, and mild language)

Table of Contents:
Page 1:

D e m a r i o n Y o u n g
Spring 1713 || Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Breathe-Taylor Swift
It’s the kinda ending you don’t really wanna see
Cause it’s tragedy and it’ll only bring you down
Now I don’t know what to be without you around
And we know it’s never simple, never easy
Never a clean break, no one here to save me
……
I can’t breathe without you, but I have to

H e n r y S u m m e r s
Summer 1707 || A country estate outside of London, England

The Only Exception-Paramore
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist
Maybe I know, somewhere deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways to make it alone

</center>

Okie dokie so if you want info about these stories visit the official thread in the RP Help and Ideas section. ;) Essentially, these are going to be little snippets of different moments in my Ocs’ lives pre-PotC RPs. Oh also I will try to begin each post with a song... sorta to set the mood, I guess. :lol: I dunno, I tend to relate a lot of songs to OCs and suchwhat so yes. :whistle: without further adieu the short story today is focused on...

da da da daaaa!

Demarion Young

<center>Breathe

It’s the kinda ending you don’t really wanna see
Cause it’s tragedy and it’ll only bring you down
Now I don’t know what to be without you around
And we know it’s never simple, never easy
Never a clean break, no one here to save me
……
I can’t breathe without you, but I have to
</center>

1713: Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Idle fingers drummed against a whitewashed windowsill. With expressionless eyes Dem watched what was going on outside. The day was obviously warm, bright and beautiful out there. Even though the streets below were muddied from a steady, two-day rain, that only made everything glisten and glow all the more. However, he felt detached from the world. He was alone (or might as well be) in this room on the second story of his father’s home. It had been days since he had ventured out into the real world. It had been days since he had joined in with the lively conversations he heard down below in the living areas of the home. He had remained in this room ever since it had happened… ever since she had taken ill. Sometimes he felt like a bird caged and locked away from the rest of the world, unable to escape its fate. He felt caught in the never-ending cycle of loving and losing. All whom he loved left him. He couldn’t get out. He couldn't save them.

The room was stale. He felt stale.

He let his gray-blue eyes lazily wander out to the harbor. Out there right now his father was working, trying hard to preserve their family name, trying hard not to lose everything they had. They had once been a prominent name in Boston now… now nothing. And not anything was going to save them. It was done. Gone. It had been ever since mother and his brothers and sisters had died. The light in the Young home had flickered out much like the candle beside Allison’s sickbed.

“Dem?” A weak voice distracted him away from his own thoughts.

The amber brown head shot up and Dem hurriedly pulled the drapes back, shading the hard sun from her eyes.

“No, it’s beautiful…” her voice was faint--almost just a wisp of smoke that could vaporize at any given moment.

He slightly parted them again before going over to where she lay in the old four-poster bed. He laced her cold, clammy fingers in with his own, resting his spare hand on her forehead. Fever was still spreading rampantly through her body. He pushed a brunette curl away from her damp face, feeling helpless and lost. She meagerly smiled at him, her eyes, however, didn’t hold he luster they once had.

“What do you need?” his voice failed him, “I can go fetch the doctor.” he was eager to do anything. He just prayed that she wouldn’t be snatched from him. Hadn’t enough been torn from him? Did he really deserve to lose another thing he loved?

“No, my dear,” she shook her head, “I couldn’t stand seeing those… those leeches on my skin again.” she faintly shuddered. She swallowed hard, trying to focus on the person in front of her. Her years had been few. She was only eighteen. She had lost most of her family. Her father, a drunk, was all who remained. Dem was her family. Dem and his sister, Piper, had always been there for her… even when she had brought in strife to the family. “I’m sorry,” she choked out, coughing violently, tears streaming down her cheeks.

It broke Dem up inside seeing her like that. “No, no,” he repeated over and over, offering her a handkerchief. “you’ve nothing to be sorry for.” he stroked her cheek, wanting desperately to push her tears away.

“I ruined your life,” she sobbed.

Dem’s throat felt as though it had swollen shut and he could only manage to shake his head. Sitting down on the side of the bed beside her, he squeezed her hand tightly and smiled down on her. “What’s all this for anyway?” he finally manage to ask, changing the conversation.

“I’m not going to be here forever,” her hazel eyes strayed away from him as she spoke. It was as if the truth was too much to admit to him to his face… especially when she knew he would try to fool both himself and her into believing it wasn’t so. “No,” she stopped him, squeezing his hand as tightly as she could, “don’t. Don’t, Dem.” her lip trembled and she redirected her eyes back to his. “Demarion, promise me…” she trailed off.

It didn’t escape his notice that she had used his full name. In their family no one ever called him Demarion except, of course, if he was in trouble or… or if they had something serious to say. “No,” he blurted, feeling his eyes welling up and trying to suppress them. This only made his throat and stomach constrict all the more.

Allison stared at him hard and long before finally continuing. “No, Demarion, you must listen to me,” she stopped again as though it was truly difficult to think of what to say next. Her eyes roved around the room and finally rested on the crack of light coming in through the window. “when I’m gone. Remember me… but… but… move on. Don’t hate Everett forever.”

“What?” He stared at her, aghast and mystified.

She only stared at him again for a painfully long time. “He never liked me… and he was probably right about me… and…” she trailed off, causing a painful silence for Dem. “Don’t hate your brother for wanting the best for you.”

“He never cared for me, Lissie, only for himself and our name…” Dem’s jaw tightened.

Lissie only shook her head. She opened her mouth as if to reveal some unknown secret… but nothing came out. Instead she closed it and her eyes.

He was quiet and looked down at his buckled shoes. He felt Lissie squeeze his hand and then… nothing. His eyes shot up. She looked as though perhaps she was still living, however, painfully soon he realized she wasn’t. He sat in stunned disbelief for a minute… and another minute. And another.

Finally he reached down and ran a hand over the tousled, wet brunette locks. “Lissie?” he whispered. Agonizing grief swept over him. A piece of him had been torn out, thrown out the window and now felt as though it was floating away out to sea. He pulled her still form into him and violently sobbed. His body was racked with grief. He felt like he was falling deeper and deeper into a black pit and there was no one, no one whatsoever who cared or would try to pull him out...

Time passed like a dream. A black, desolate dream.

The last thing he had ever said to Lissie wasn’t “I love you” or anything of the sort… they were arguing about Everett. That was the last thing. But, then again, at the moment, he didn’t have enough energy to even care. Clothed in the darkest black, he went through the motions. That was all.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Last edited by Calloniel (PD) on October 19th, 2010, 1:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 7:21 am 
Maia
Maia

Wow! :-D That was just brilliant, PD. =D I can’t describe how moving it was reading it! Honestly, it v.much tugged at my heartstrings. Really excellent job. ^_^ *nods* It really felt like I was right there with Demarion, watching everything unfold! I feel like I know this particular OC better now. I can’t wait to see which OC you choose next!

And I think I’ll be starting up my own Pieces of the Past thread soon too, so watch this space! :pirate:

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 10:35 am 
Istari
Istari

Indeed, I agree with everything Goldy has said. Truly wonderful, inspiring, emotionally intriguing, insightful and more <3

I'll start on mine when I've finished with my BHLN post :yes:

It's twisting on a thread

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2010, 4:54 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

:hug: I'm so pleased that you guys liked it! I am so squeeish about this now! Like, I could hardly sleep at all last night because of it. :lol: anyways, I got another one up (the angst is overwhelming. lol):

Henry Summers

<center>The Only Exception

And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist
Maybe I know, somewhere deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways to make it alone
</center>

1707: A country estate near London, England.
The large plantation house was positively buzzing with activity. Tonight the Stannard family, who owned said fine establishment, was throwing a massive ball to celebrate the marriage of Annabelle Stannard. Everyone in the mansion was chattering and cackling like spring birds on a warm summer morning.... everyone with the exception of Henry Summers. He was lucky enough to dwell in this gorgeous home, but it was not his home. He was living here on borrowed time. Someday... someday quite soon, he was afraid, the Stannards would make him leave. However, this wasn't what filled his seventeen-year-old heart with misery. Something else lacked. Something deep in his soul; something that nagged at him every day, taunting him. It was emptiness; aloneness. At least back when they had been younger, he had the Lord and Lady’s children to be with but now… well, now that he was seventeen and they were just as old they really wanted nothing to do with him. It wasn’t proper for them to be around him anymore, dictated Lady Stannard.

Detached from the rest of the chaos below, Henry sat at the top of the grand staircase. He watched as guests arrived dressed in their superior, if not somewhat ridiculous, costumes. The lady of the house, Lady Stannard, eagerly greeted everyone and was chattering like a songbird. This was when she was at her best--when she was entertaining. It had been what she was raised for. It had been the only thing she ever knew.

Henry pondered the growing crowd, letting his blue eyes settle on one individual in particular. A girl… Lydia Stannard. He used to play around the plantation with her but now they hardly spoke. Whether he’d admit it or not, which he quite thought he never would, his heart pined for her. But he couldn’t have her. Lord Stannard had made it quite clear in his speech about how he “would not stand a roguish boy seducing his daughter.” but he couldn’t stop Henry from looking at her, could he? She was beautiful to him. Her sisters, Annabelle and Scarlett, were the ones who everyone praised, however, to him… nothing got prettier than Lydia.

“What are you doing, boy?” Lord Stannard almost literally appeared out of nowhere, jolting Henry out of his daydream.

“Nothing.” Lord Stannard eyed him. It was common knowledge throughout the house that the Lord did not approve of Henry in the slightest. The feeling was mutual. Neither one trusted the other, neither one liked the other. Put simply, it was best if they avoided one another.

Lord Stannard’s eyes squinted, “don’t mistake me for a simpleton, boy, I know what you desire,” Henry was quite sure Lord Stannard didn’t even remember his first name. He was just “boy”.

Mentally, Henry predicted everything that would come next “you’re only hear out of the goodness of our hearts so you best respect our rules. If we determined tomorrow to send you away, which we might, away you shall go. Do you understand?”

Henry said nothing, feeling the eyes of the guests on them.

“Stay away from her,” their eyes met and tension sparked.

Henry promptly got up and left, feeling embarrassed and furious. At least a few of the party guests had surely heard what was said… not that it really mattered if they did. Everyone already knew.

Henry pushed himself outside, keeping his head down and avoiding meeting anyone in the eye. His heart longed for Lydia… just to talk to her. Anything. But it was denied that just like it was denied any form of affection.

As soon as he was out of sight his pace accelerated and he blindly walked wherever his feet would lead him. He felt hot tears burn his cheeks and rubbed them away. How could he be crying? He was far too old for such childish things. He found himself unknowingly going by first the smokehouses and then the slaves’ quarters and then into the fields. Ten paces out, seven to the right and there he was. He stopped and looked up. Facing him was the fringe of the forest surrounding the estate. Without a second thought Henry pushed himself inside. It was growing dark and already strange creatures from the nightlife were speaking to each other from their dark recesses. Through in the twilight, his feet found their way to that tree. The Tree. He stopped in front of it.

Several years ago he had found this old, knarled tree, carved on it was “BS+MC” and immediately he recognized those initials. Ben and Maggie: his parents. He had spent some days staring at it longingly, some angrily and tonight… hopelessly lost.

He couldn’t understand how his parents could just leave him to fend for himself in this world. “Your father left your mother and she died after giving birth to you.” that had been the cold, straightforward explanation Lady Stannard had given him when he’d first asked about them. But… how could someone just leave his mother? What kind of man had “BS” been? He scowled and sat down in the dirt at the foot of the tree. His finger traced the “MC”, feeling the lost pain he imagined she might’ve felt. Maybe. Maybe she was still close to him somehow. His finger finished going over the last curve on the “C” and he sat back on his heels. He wondered if maybe, just maybe, his mother were still alive if she would love him. Of course Lord Stannard had always said it was foolish to wonder about the “maybes” when all that mattered was the concrete. The concrete fact that his father had left his mother, his mother had died because she was too weak and they both left a burden on the Stannards.

As Henry looked down into the dirt the forest grew darker. The sun had almost completely set and the night was now fully alive around him. Maybe everyone in this world was destined to be alone, he thought. Love was a myth. No one could ever truly be happy.

Pulling out his pocket knife, Henry held it up to the initials. Many times he had thought of crossing them out. A large “x” would do it. That was all it would take. He faltered. He wanted to do it... except he couldn't...

Maybe tomorrow.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 12:43 pm 
Maia
Maia

I really enjoyed reading this! :-D It’s brilliant to get some insight into Henry’s past. ^_^ I found the bit with the initials carved onto the tree very moving. <3 In short, epicly excellent work, PD! :pirate: :hug:

~~Siggy by Lembas~~