<center>Table of Contents

Andrea Costello
Part I - Not what was desired.
Part II - The merry month of May.

----------

</center>

It's twisting on a thread

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Last edited by Lothy on December 24th, 2010, 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 11:09 am 
Istari
Istari

<center>Andrea Costello
Part I – Not what was desired.

[Warning: Violence.]

November 17th 1686 - Baile Átha Cliath, Éire (Dublin, Ireland)</center>

Snow had settled thickly upon the dark street outside, evidence of the weakening blizzard that had blown strongly not an hour before. Green eyes watched the flurries with serenity from the comfort of a heavily padded rocking chair by a warm, crackling fire. The young woman sighed and shifted gently, not wanting to wake the sleeping bundle in her arms but finding her body protesting the position in which she sat. She looked down at the child, less than a few hours old and smiled, running a long, delicate finger across the babe’s warm head. Fair hair grew there, fluffy and soft. Mercy lowered herself to kiss the child’s head, taking the chance to inhale the comforting new born smell. The labour had of course been painful but with the midwife’s help it was over quickly and soon forgotten as a small wailing bundle had been placed in her arms. Once Mercy had been sponge bathed and her baby swaddled, her midwife had urged her to move from the birthing chair that sat before the hearth, to the comfort of her bed where she could rest, but she had been reluctant. She was far more content to stay in front of the fire, child in her arms so they could bond. She had nursed the baby in that position until it had fallen asleep, snuffling softly in it’s swaddling.

As she watched the child, Mercy found herself musing upon names; she had been blessed with a girl, not what had been expected but certainly what she had secretly desired. She had known instantly that Colette was a fitting name for the girl, a name for Mercy’s mother, but she also felt the need to bestow another name upon her daughter. She thought hard. Had the baby been a boy she would have liked to call him Andrew and briefly Mercy thought of the feminine version; Andrea. She chuckled softly to herself.

“I do not think ‘Andrea’ would suit, do you?” She whispered softly to her daughter, but was immediately taken aback as the child opened her eyes, almost in response to the name. Although only hours old, the babe’s eyes were wide and alert, observing its mother with knowing. Dark as they were, Mercy could already make out a tint of emerald green starting to form around the irises, a trademark colour of both Mercy and her mother. She took a steadying breath and looked deep into those eyes. “Would you be called ‘Andrea’?” She asked again and the babe blinked in response, shifting her head slightly. Mercy smiled down at her. Andrea Colette. Yes, she could see now it suited perfectly and she couldn’t resist running a finger down the child’s pink cheek. Never had she seen anything more beautiful or felt so much love for one tiny being. Everything paled in comparison to this blissful moment, holding her daughter tightly in front of a roaring fire.

A sudden crash from the floor below caused Mercy to jump and instinctively pull Andrea closer. Faint, rousing laughter could be heard through the floor and she swallowed hard, fear filling her stomach.

“Where is he?” Called a thick, slurring voice that came closer by the second. “Where is the son who has kept me waiting these past nine months?” There was a thump and a few cursed words before the door to Mercy’s room opened to reveal a tall, drunken man, swaying as he moved forward. Diederick spotted Mercy and leered. “You didn’t die in the birth then?” He half laughed and Mercy hesitantly shook her head, holding her daughter closer still. He grunted in reply. “Good! It would be a shame to let something so fine perish before I’ve finished with it.” He looked to the bundle that lay in her arms. “Oho!” He chortled and swayed again, drink making him uneven on his feet. “So this is my son! Let me see him woman!” He sneered as Mercy couldn’t help but cower back, holding Andrea against her chest protectively. She had to tell him, before he got too close.

“It’s a girl.” She whispered timidly, now starting to shake slightly. Diederick’s face fell.

“What?” He snarled, marching forward to stare at the small babe. He looked at her with a face much akin to the way a farmer would look at a runt; disgusted and insulted. His hands curled into fists and before Mercy had time to realise what was about to happen, he had struck her had across the side of her face with the back of his hand. Mercy cried out and her daughter wailed as she was thrown to the floor, baby still clutched in her arms. Diederick knelt down beside her, breath foul with whiskey playing across her face. “I will have my son.” He hissed as he lunged at her again, smashing her face to the floor as she desperately tried to keep a hold of her daughter, powerless to stop what was coming next. Tears rolled out of her eyes at the sound of a belt buckle being undone and she squeezed them shut helplessly. She cared not for herself anymore; from now on, she swore, her only priority was to keep her daughter safe. Her darling child; her beloved Andrea.

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 12:47 pm 
Maia
Maia

This is brilliantly written, and very moving too. *nods* =) I feel really sorry for Mercy and Andrea – it’s so sad how back then, many people generally wanted sons more than daughters. =(
I’m looking forward to Part 2! :-D

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 12:57 am 
Istari
Istari

^ Not to mention the fact that Diederick is a psychopath ;) Anyway, here's part two. Something cute before things start getting nasty.

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 1:00 am 
Istari
Istari

<center>Andrea Costello
Part II – The merry month of May.

[Warning: None.]

May 20th 1687 - Baile Átha Cliath, Éire (Dublin, Ireland)</center>

Merry was the month of May. It was when the farmers celebrated the end of winter and toasted towards a bountiful crop, it was when the trees were in blossom and the flowers in bloom. Birds sang, bees buzzed, lambs were born; everything was beautiful about May. Not that Mercy would see it of course. Oh how she longed to walk in the garden, to gather flowers to fill the house and her daughter's room. She wanted to show Andrea the pond, feed the ducks and introduce her to a world that wasn't just the cold winds and snow that had so far dominated the first six months of her life. But none of this was allowed for neither Mercy or Andrea. Diederick, their Lord and Master, Husband and Father, had them under house arrest. No one was allowed in and no one was allowed out. He had even stopped his own mother from visiting and so Andrea had yet to meet her grandmother or any other members of her family.

A day finally came, however, when Diederick allowed for visitation and Catriona insisted upon taking tea in the gardens with Mercy, Andrea and Diederick's younger brother Caleb.

“I cannot believe how truly beautiful she is.” Catriona gushed and sipped from her cup as she and Mercy watched Andrea attempted to explore the new, lush green world that lay before her. She had been placed upon blankets on the grass and almost at once had managed to flip over onto her stomach and attempt to retrieve the daisy that young Caleb held just out of reach. Mercy of course agreed completely with Catriona's observations.

Andrea was the epitome of childly innocence. Her skin was fair and her cheeks tinged pink from the fresh, spring air. Her hair was light, almost blonde but for a dusty brown hue, and it was already long, naturally curling into loose ringlets around her chin. Her features were sharp and almost pointed, yet with a rounded quality, the greatest example of this being her small, mouse-like nose.

“I very much agree mother.” Caleb said, smiling at Andrea then feeling it grow broader as his smile was returned. “She is indeed extremely pretty.” Although a boy of only thirteen, Caleb always managed to show a surprising level of maturity and politeness. Mercy almost found herself envying the woman he would grow to marry, whom ever she was.

Andrea let out an excited squeal which quickly became a gurgle as she once again tried, but failed, to reach out and take ahold of the daisy Caleb held. Caleb just laughed and placed his face closer to hers, making an array of comical faces for her entertainment. Before he knew it however, Andrea had reached out and grabbed his nose with her tiny hand, squeezing with a surprising amount of strength for a baby. He yelped in pain and jumped back, causing Andrea to smile wider an laugh.

“I'm sorry Caleb!” Mercy was quick to apologise, embarrassed and timid. “I should have warned you that she'll grab anything you place in front of her.” Caleb held up a hand to quieten her however.

“No need to apologise, she knows no better and I should. The blame is entirely mine. Besides,” He turned his head back to his niece with a soft smile. “We are playing and she means no harm. Isn't that right dear one?” Andrea's response was another gurgle as again she tried to reach for the daisy he held. She bounced on her stomach, as if trying to propel herself forward, legs kicking behind her.

“I think she'll be crawling any day now.” Mercy commented with a smile but her face froze as the sound of a slamming door reached her from the house. She and Catriona shared a worried glance then looked to where Diederick and his father, Ciaran, were striding towards them.

“Boy! Stop making those ridiculous faces and stand up straight. Young men do not loll about the grass of a day!” Ciaran shouted at Caleb, who instantly gulped and did as he was told, jumping to his feet.

Andrea, meanwhile, smiled and gurgled at the new comers, eager to greet them and have their attentions on her. Ciaran looked at her with disgust.

“Good god Derick!” He commented, turning his nose up at the small girl. “I do hope you can do better than that next time 'round. It's hardly fit for the name of grandchild!” Andrea continued to smile up at him, too young to understand his malicious words or expression. Ciaran tapped her side with the toe of his shoe. “What are you smiling at, idiot child.” Mercy made to scoop Andrea up, but Caleb caught ahold of her first. Andrea seemed pleased to finally have some attention, as Caleb held her close and she bounced happily in his arms, pressing her small hands against his shoulder to keep herself balanced. Ciaran rolled his eyes and let his lip curl.

“That's enough!” He fumed. “Catriona; home! I think we've let this charade continue for long enough now. You too boy!” He snarled at Caleb. “Give the rodent back to it's mother.”

Caleb looked down at Andrea softly and gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. “Goodbye sweeting.” He whispered before handing her over to Mercy's waiting arms. Mercy nodded and smiled to him gratefully, before letting Catriona bend down and also kiss Andrea's head. She swallowed and watched them walk away, following in Ciaran's wake. Even Andrea was quiet now. The fun and games were over and it was to their harsh reality that they would return.

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2011, 11:09 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Me thinks I already said something about this somewhere else... but still, I'll say something here too. I liked it. <3 Makes me feel so bad for 'Drea and I loved the sweet moments between Caleb and 'Drea. :happy: what makes her father so evil though? :'(

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2011, 11:33 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thank you! I'm glad you liked <3 There are few opportunities in their history for many nice moments between 'Drea and Caleb, at least while she's a child, so I thought I'd make the most of it.

As for her father, well he's sick. Basically he and his own father (not to mention 'Drea herself, Hunter and Kayla) suffer from what we would now call Bi-Polar disorder. It's hereditary you see. Of course back then they wouldn't have any idea it even existed.

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 3:25 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Say what? :blink: how did I never know this...?? I mean, it makes perfect sense now but... wow. lol I feel stupid.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-