Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 7:35 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Yay! ^^ I'll have more up soon as soon as I add the last editing run through....

~Cyclist in Training~

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 7:40 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

okeday

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 10:56 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

(^^ Muwahaha and chapter 6! )

-------------------

Chapter 6

Ven wiped the back of his hand across his sweat-covered forehead. "When is the heat going to end? It has clung to us ever since the pass three days ago. I thought the deserts were only North and South of here. What is this one doing smack dab in the middle?"

"You ask a lot of questions and waste a lot of sweat talking," Veld scolded.

Alsana shielded the sun with her hand and looked ahead of them, grimacing as she forced her parched mouth to work around the words.

"It’s not a desert, it’s the Rosh River, but the land is in a dry spell. The river has dried and the valley around has been parched from the lack of water," she answered Ven.

"So the river was the dip in the ground we passed a day ago?" Veld questioned, curiosity getting the better of him despite the scolding to his brother.

Alsana nodded.

"And when will we be relieved of this scorching heat? We haven’t been able to fill our water skins since we left the mountain range and we have only a few drops left."

She was silent a while and didn’t answer as they walked, their legs beginning to weary of the constant trekking.

"When we reach the village of Morsk, we should be able to refresh our supplies and perhaps purchase a few horses. Do you have any valuables we could possibly trade?"

"Well, we have some gold pieces and---." Ven started, but Veld interrupted, forcing his dry voice into a near yell, stepping forward and standing in front of Alsana.

"Wait a minute here! We’re near the middle of Roshkar, and I have no doubt this village is part of the country. Now why are we planning to enter and risk us being caught?"

"The village isn’t evil. It’s under pressure from Lord Silom, and they prefer to ignore strangers coming in, not wanting to hinder anyone, but still fearing being caught by Silom. They dare not report anyone coming through. Besides, I have my connections," she said dryly, her eyes locked on his.

Ven could almost see the tense air building between the two as they stood facing each other, the sweat pouring down both their faces from the sun’s heat.

Veld folded his arms over his chest, looking doubtfully at Alsana, but different thoughts filled his head as he stared at her face. She’s a tough one. The fires in her eyes show it as well as the sternness in her face… her strangely fair face. His expression softened and hers did as well as he lowered his folded arms as he wondered what possible feelings he could ever have for someone.

Why is he looking at me like that? She thought to herself as her tense features began to relax under his steady gaze. She found herself wanting to reach out and smooth away the worry lines around his eyes, but scolded herself, don’t become attracted to him. He is but another man seeking safety from the evil of the world. You have helped many and lost others. Don’t become attached.

Ven suddenly stepped forward, "Come on now! We should stop arguing like little children and get out of this heat! It’s getting to our heads."

Veld nodded slightly and took his gaze from her eyes, "You’re right, Ven." He grinned roguishly, "We have to get your soft, sensitive brains out of this heat before they explode and make us all messy."

Ven shook his head and laughed, giving his brother a shove, "You’re the pea brained one, so I guess you’d survive, eh?"

Alsana smiled at the two and tilted her head slightly, "So are we agreed to go into the village?"

Veld forced smile and nodded, "You know best, so lead the way lady." He motioned his hand in the direction they had been going.

She smirked and led the way, shielding her eyes from the setting sun, and fighting against an annoying headache.

Ven remained towards the rear and stared at the backs of the two in front of him. He likes her, doesn’t he? He thought to himself, a bitter feeling growing in his depths, but he’s cruel and uncaring, how could she like him? It just wouldn’t work, so perhaps she’ll prefer me and not him. If not, then… He caught himself in his thoughts and rubbed the back of his head, The sun must be getting to me. He tried to focus on where they were going and realized Alsana was speaking to Veld.

"So where did you learn to use a sword like that?" She questioned, referring to the swordplay with the younger dragon.

Veld smiled, wiping sweat from his tanned and handsome face, "I learned from my father."

"And who was your father?"

He flinched at the questioned and suddenly remembered his satchel containing The Crizma and he reached to the strap and clung to it, staring at the dry ground, "I’d prefer not to mention, do you mind?"

Alsana nodded and respected his request.

"I’m sorry if I hit a nerve," she said politely, to which he turned to look at her and smiled slightly.

"It’s alright, Alsana. It is just a slight bit of a touchy subject, and I have faith I could trust and tell you, but I don’t believe it would be wise of me just yet."

She nodded again and took her eyes from him and looked forward again. He’s handsome, roguishly handsome, yet troubled. Burdened and worried.

Roguishly handsome had always been her weakness, but she had always hidden her feelings with others, long ago, but now found it harder to do so, as she again fought the urge to reach out to this man walking beside her.

They walked on in silence, the sun now sinking below the distant hills, and the air cooling as the surroundings grew darker.

They set camp after finally escaping the parched Rosh River valley, and seeking refuge under the cover of a patch of woods, near a stream from which they were able to acquire water.

According to Alsana’s estimations, they would reach Morsk by morning if they set out early. She insisted on keeping first watch as the brothers set out their bedrolls and settled in to get some rest.

Leaning against a tree some distance away from them, she yawned and looked up to the sky, suddenly realizing how clear the stars shone. A smile spread across her weary face and she sat, leaning her head back against the tree and watching the night sky.

Closing her eyes briefly, she hadn't realize she had fallen asleep until she felt a hand on her shoulder. Alsana leapt to her feet and whipped around, her broad blade at ready in a flash, but relaxed as she saw Veld standing there.

"Sorry for frightening you," he said, laughing slightly, "but I noticed you had fallen asleep and figured you’d be less cramped if you were to lay down a bit. I would have taken watch for you."

There was a certain kindness in his tone and she smiled.

"Thanks, but I’m fine. I guess I just let my guard down and let sleep take over me. The stars were too tempting not to stare at."

Veld nodded and glanced up at the stars then back at her.

She fidgeted under his steady gaze and leaned against a tree.

He bowed his head and sat where she had been sitting and smiled. "Why don’t you go and get some sleep? It would do you good. I already had plenty of rest."

Alsana nodded and rubbed a hand across her eyes, "Thank you, I think I will." Take his hand, take the worry from his heart, something told her, but she sighed and shrugged the thought off, turning and walking to her bedroll and laying on her side.

Veld smiled and watched as she fell asleep. She looks peaceful when she sleeps… He thought to himself, then noted the scar running the line of her jaw, I wonder where she received a scar such as that? Must be many a tale she could tell, as long as she’s lived, being of the Nolkans.

He let out a long sigh, running a hand through his hair and returning his gaze to the surrounding forest.

~Cyclist in Training~

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2006, 12:39 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Not bad at all. :)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!