Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 8:55 pm 

ethelfleda wrote:
do you think tolkien ever decided what happened to the entwives? if i leave something unsaid in my own writing it's generally because i don't know about it myself, and maybe that was the case with tolkien and the entwives.

I'm like that, but since this is Tolkien we're talking about, I think he would have known. He has too much detail in his work to not be decided on something like that.

Oh, and I know it's ages since I reread that part of Unfinished Tales but isn't there disrepency as to what the other two wizards are called? Or am I getting confused with how they all had other names anyway?
There is something I've forgotten, but I can't remember what it was about. Gah...

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 9:59 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Herenya wrote:
ethelfleda wrote:
Oh, and I know it's ages since I reread that part of Unfinished Tales but isn't there disrepency as to what the other two wizards are called? Or am I getting confused with how they all had other names anyway?

Yes there are some variations here: in one late note JRRT writes that no names are recorded for the 'other' wizards, but perhaps he means no names were recorded in the West of Middle-earth -- and in any case he seems ready to give them Quenya names, as he did for the more well known wizards too -- Saruman Curumo, Gandalf Olórin, Radagast Aiwendil

The possibilities are: Morinehtar, Rómestámo, Rómestar, Alatar, Pallando.

It's also possible that Tolkien, at one point in time, couldn't find the text in which he had already invented Alatar and Pallando, and so he later invented other Quenya names.