Yes 100%  100%  [ 30 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 10:09 am 
Vala
Vala

*wails*

Everyone's going to get to read it before me. Right now, it's too expensive for me to get, as well. :annoyed2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2007, 12:42 am 
Maia
Maia

^ I wouldn't have read it for a while, but I got it for my birthday...

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2007, 1:00 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I just finished it a few days ago... poor Húrin, man... he's the only one that actually lives at the end of the story :blink: :(

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2007, 1:14 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Hehe it was exactly the same as it was in the Sil... only longer and more detailed :P
It's actually a really easy book to read though, and as you said Aerlinn... the illustrations were fantastic! :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 1:24 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Eärendil The Mariner wrote:
Quote:
one thing... I didn't understand what would happen with Hurin... would he ever escape?? or did he sit down there for ever looking down on all the sadness what would happen?

It does say what happened to Hurin after the event of Glaurung and Turin. Not saying anything due to possible spoliers for those still reading the book! :)

aww :duh: I red the book again (cause I've bought him :bounce: )
and at the end I thougt: argg... I'm stupid :P now I saw (understand) the end of Hurin...
poor father... :confuzzled: but a great book

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 5:51 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Whoops, are we not supposed to spurt spoilers, or are we past that? :P *peers nervously at my second last post*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 8:37 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

The story of Turin Turambar is worth placing into a book on its own, as it easily stands up on its own. I like the illustration, but the most welcome is the lengthening and extra detail. Its given more room to breathe as a seperate book than it did in the Sil, and I think it makes the story better.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2007, 9:09 pm 

I've started reading it...and it's very good, but so sad! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2007, 9:13 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I haven't posted for such along time, so I thought that this would be a perfect topic to start again. I loved TCOH. This story could stand alone as a movie. I loved the illustrations by Allen Lee. They made the story come alive.

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
Banners & avatar by; Arwen & Azriel Estermiriel :) [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 9:58 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I was totally obsessed with this book when it came out...and i still am. It's definitely better than The Sil (just because it has a normal story line with one main character). :P

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls"
~C.S. Lewis

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2007, 12:26 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Captain Grishnákh , I have to agree totally with you!! With the Sil it has so many different stories going on, but TCOH it really allows the reader to really immerse ones self in this one story line and to allow you to come to a more personal relationship with the characters. I loved it! ;)

[font=Arial, sans-serif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 12:29 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Aerlinniel Leryanëlyën wrote:
...and I have to disagree. :P I love TOH, don't get me wrong...but I love the Sil more. :P
The Sil allows me to fantasize more about the background stories, the possibilities etc. And of course, Beren and Luthien is in it, which I absolutely love. :) ...and Earendil, and...the list goes on. :) All the different stories going on at once is what makes it so interesting for me. :P

I think TOH would make a better movie than the Sil though. :) I mean, like you guys said, it allows you to come to a more personal relationship with the characters, and that makes it easier for people to read/watch. :)
And the Sil has just way to much going on to get all of it in one movie. They'd have to make....many movies of it, it simply isn't possible to include it all in one. :P

You know Aerlinniel, when it comes to the Sil I really do love it totally, :yes: don't get me wrong the SIL is the history of Middle-earth what's not to love. It has the good right along with the bad, (sounds like current history :-D ) but with the TCOH it allows ones who have a problem keeping the names and different characters straight to really come to understand this particular story line. I have a friend that has devoured all 3 books of LOTR but tried to read the SIL and gave up early in it because she got too confused, so TCOH was easier for her. :confused: But as you said, "Beren and Luthien is in it, which I absolutely love. :) ...and Earendil, and...the list goes on. :) All the different stories going on at once is what makes it so interesting," I totally agree with you!!! :bye2:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 12:30 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

...and I have to disagree. :P I love TOH, don't get me wrong...but I love the Sil more. :P
The Sil allows me to fantasize more about the background stories, the possibilities etc. And of course, Beren and Luthien is in it, which I absolutely love. :) ...and Earendil, and...the list goes on. :) All the different stories going on at once is what makes it so interesting for me. :P

I think TOH would make a better movie than the Sil though. :) I mean, like you guys said, it allows you to come to a more personal relationship with the characters, and that makes it easier for people to read/watch. :)
And the Sil has just way to much going on to get all of it in one movie. They'd have to make....many movies of it, it simply isn't possible to include it all in one. :P

You know Aerlinniel, when it comes to the Sil I really do love it totally, :yes: don't get me wrong the SIL is the history of Middle-earth what's not to love. It has the good right along with the bad, (sounds like current history :-D ) but with the TCOH it allows ones who have a problem keeping the names and different characters straight to really come to understand this particular story line. I have a friend that has devoured all 3 books of LOTR but tried to read the SIL and gave up early in it because she got too confused, so TCOH was easier for her. :confused: But as you said, "Beren and Luthien is in it, which I absolutely love. :) ...and Earendil, and...the list goes on. :) All the different stories going on at once is what makes it so interesting," I totally agree with you!!! :bye2:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]

Last edited by ~Elfin Maiden~ on December 31st, 2007, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 4:43 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I can only agree with what you said. I really like the Children on Húrin and it's my favourite story in the Sil and I like the longer version better than the short version that is in the Sil, but still I like the Sil better, it's still my favourite book, because as you said it has all the background stories and also of course many wonderful stories like the story of Beren and Lúthien which I also like very much.
But I also think that the Children of Húrin could more easily be a movie than the Sil. In fact, I don't think you could make a movie of the Sil at all (at least not a good one that would please me) since there's just so much in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2007, 7:15 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

The Silmarillion is essentially a collection of a whole load of tales/events... chronologically. The Children of Húrin is one of those (titled differently in the Sil of course, but the same story), but just expanded. And I agree that it could be far easier to make into a film, because it's one story. The Sil could never be made into a film because there are too many different plots and stories in it that each have their own settings, conflicts and endings (well... sort of, but they all lead into one another). The Sil could be made into a bunch of different films though...
It's like trying to make one film out of the christian bible. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2008, 7:43 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I have only read the first few pages of the Sil...

But, I have read TCOH. At the end I almost felt like crying... it's such a sad story. And Hurin had to watch it all from the seat Morgoth set him on. I was borrowing it from a friend's mom, and she said she hardly got anything that went on because of the style of writing Tolkien used... I could, and quite clearly. The story captivated me. It would make a good movie though, if the screenwriters made the transision from book to script right, if you know what I mean.

Profile       WWW     YIM