Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 7:35 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Not enough is my answer, though I should be, since I got new copies as a gift :)

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 4:07 am 
Maia
Maia

Location: 'Dance like flame cuase theres no gravity, and now I am just a candle trying to stay lit...

I've read the Hobbit 3 times, the fellowship 3, the two towers (once, currently reading off and on), and the return of the king once

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 5:54 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Well as a child my parents read it to me about 3 times. Growing up I must have read it atleast 7 times. I usually read it once a year. I could have read it a lot more thinking about it. I'm only accounting for 10 years there... so must be more!

Post subject: Re: How many times have you read them?
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 8:07 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

^ My mom used to read The Hobbit to my sister and I as a bedtime story when we were kids. :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 10:05 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ErulissëEnethNîn wrote:
^ My mom used to read The Hobbit to my sister and I as a bedtime story when we were kids. :)

Great way to get into it all

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 10:14 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Absolutely! I remember being so fascinated by the world.

My sister had this particular artwork by Tolkien framed on the wall beside her bed and I used to lie there for hours being completely mesmerized by it:

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 10:00 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I've read it once... I hope to read them again in summer.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 1:21 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I've read it twice - once in finnish and once in english. And I own both editions.

banner by Aredhel Ar-Feiniel

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 5:09 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The Hobbit: Once (My intro to Middle Earth in 1975)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy: I estimate 12 or so. I read and re-read the three books probably 7-8 times, and poured through the Appendices and got into the calligraphy and calendars and everything from 1976 to 1978. Didn't pick up the books to read again until 1996 when I finally unpacked the box that contained my paperbacks. That box got packed in 1986.... Read the series through a couple times, then again a couple times in 1999-2000 when the lead-up to the movies was in full swing. Post movie, I read it through in 2005, and am reading them through again now. Not too far into it.... At the Sign of the Prancing Pony.

Silmarillion: Once completely, parts of it several times. I got the book the day it was released, but found it hard to read, so picked about the chapters. It wasn't until 1984 that I read it straight through from beginning to end.

Unfinished Tales: Read through the whole book twice. Several chapters of it I've read many many times.

HoME: read parts of a few volumns.

Children of Hurin: Twice.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 3:40 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The Hobbit - twice. Unfortunately, I read it after The Lord of the Rings trilogy and it never really grabbed me the same way. My second reading was as part of a Book Club, and was more interesting because of the interaction between the members. Having said that, it still remains my least favourite Tolkien work.

The Lord of the Rings - numerous times completely, with periodic reading of specific chapters, usually as a result of discussions with other fans of the stories.

The Silmarillion - I will admit that I hadn't read this book until I joined the Council of Elrond website, and joined the Realm of Vairë the Weaver, a very 'Silcentric' group. Since then I have read it completely at least half a dozen times, and several chapters many times more. I was fortunate enough to be part of the creation of The Silmarillion Survivors Guide for the site, which expanded my knowledge greatly. It is my favourite Tolkien work.

Unfinished Tales - Once completely, with chapters of particular interest several times. I tend to view it more as a reference book and use it to pad my knowledge of specific characters.

The Children of Húrin - I've read this book once, and will likely reread it again soon.

The Lost Tales 1 & 2 - I've only read parts of both of these books: usually when researching something specific.

The History of Middle-earth - These are my go to reference books, and a valuable resource for checking Tolkien canon.

The Atlas of Middle-earth (Karen Fonstad) - A nice reference when you're playing Who or What Am I and your challenger picks some obscure place.

I own all of these books in both printed and ebook formats, except the Atlas which I only own in book form.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 4:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

First read LoTR in a German translation 1983. Most recent read was a couple of months ago. My best guess is 15 times (3 times the German translation).

One book which I bought very quickly first in the German translation (readily available) and then the original (which I had to order) was The Children of Húrin. That is where I noticed that Silmarillion material, more so than LoTR, is difficult, in details impossible to translate.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I've read The Hobbit and LotR many times over the years although there are times when I can't finish LotR at The Grey Havens because the pages become really blurry. :'-( It was years before I could read the Appendices! More blurred pages...

I have the Sil but haven't read all of it, just parts. It was kinda like reading my high school history books. Rather dry...

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:

The Children of Húrin - I've read this book once, and will likely reread it again soon.

The Atlas of Middle-earth (Karen Fonstad) - A nice reference when you're playing Who or What Am I and your challenger picks some obscure place.

So The Children of Húrin is worth reading/owning?

And I ADORE Karen Fonstad's atlas! I can't write in Middle-earth without it.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Findë wrote:

Karen Wynn Fonstad's atlas, covering all three Ages, with her having an MA in geography and being a professional cartographer, is awesome. But just for LoTR, Barbara Strachey's "Journeys of Frodo" tops even Fonstad's atlas, even though Strachey explicitly confesses not to be a cartographer. We non-professionals could care something smelly, the fifty maps are just what Christopher never got around to.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 5:32 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I recommend KWF's Atlas too. In the past I've disagreed with parts of it [incidentally, who do I agree with one hundred percent about Tolkien related matters? Not even JRR Tolkien, now that I think about it], and even KWF warns that some things are based on very little evidence -- but that's only my small niggle with respect to a lot of work. It's very helpful, I agree.

One of my favorite stories regarding map related Tolkien trivia, is Christopher Tolkien's insistence on writing Kirith Ungol on an original map for The Return of the King, thinking that people will say "Sirith" if he didn't... and just noticed, for the redrawn version of a fairly recent edition, the artist, Stephen Raw, has changed the spelling to Cirith.

How dare you Mr. Raw... you, sir, must now take responsibility for any sibilance resulting from this action ;-)

Findë wrote:

If you already like the tale in general [not every Tolkien fan does, due to its relentless cheeriness], in my opinion the new-ish book is a different reading experience compared to the broken parts with commentary in Unfinished Tales, and so, well worth it, I think.

Not that the Unfinished Tales experience is bad of course, it's just more of a scholarly look compared to a version for readers.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 4:36 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Findë wrote:

Yes, I think so. It's a fuller version of the Turin chapter in Silmarillion and the 'Hurin' chapter in Unfinished tales. There are a couple rough spots where Christopher must have had a hard time fitting the broken pieces of story together, but I find it a worthy book.

Findë wrote:

Yes, it's worth having this. There are a few oddities in it, like the dwarf cities of Belegost and Nogrod that doesn't quite line up, but I use it regularly when RP'ng

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 6:28 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thank you for all of your recommendations and comments! I think I'll be buying a new book. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next