Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2008, 3:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

In my opinion, those fanfics are quite amusing if you don't take them too serious. I've read a lot of fanfics with Frodo/Sam and I laughed my head off...
(just because in the movie, in my opinion, it comes over like they were gay...and I've had a conversation with my friends about Frodo and Sam being gay...or Legolas looking like a girl...we came up with random slash pairings and laughed so much) lol...just lol...at people's imagination...so...don't take fanfics too serious ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 3:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, perhaps they're amusing, but I don't see why I need to 'pollute' my head with such stories. If I see a fanfiction with a slash warning, I just skip it. I'm absolutely not interested in seeing the characters that Tolkien created mangled by some misled and deranged person who has only seen the movies or read part of the books. It is really frustrating that people do that at all.

Especially to Glorfindel. Glorfindel happens to be in my top five favourite elves, so when people mess up his character, that is absolutely degrading to him and infuriating to me. I mean, seriously. If you've read The Book of Lost Tales 2 or The Silmarillion, there is nothing in there that points to him being gay. So it just makes me angry that people could so mess up such a great character like that. Hence, I read very, very little Glorfindel fanfiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2008, 8:09 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^
I couldn't agree more with you
(by the way, I can't believe ur back again!!!! :hug: :wave:)
Maybe we shouldn't take those fanfictions seriously, but still there's absolutely no sense in writing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2008, 11:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sure there's sense in writing such stories...sense of humor, randomness and creavity...if some people think Glorfindel is gay...let them think he is gay. If some people think Frodo and Sam are gay...let them think they are gay...people have different opinions and this is what makes the world go round...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2008, 8:10 am 
Vala
Vala

Personally, I couldn't be bothered by the character's sexual orientation. Once the fic is written in a way that doesn't undermine Tolkien's work, I'm ok with it. If it's written beautifully and it flows well, I'm happy. Once there aren't Mary-Sues or anything of the sort, haha, go right on.

So, I know that Tolkien never portrayed any of his characters as gay, but it's the author's fic, it's their own creativity, their own imagination. Let them do with it as they want to test their abilities, if you don't like it, just avoid it. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 8:24 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I've seen a few straight!Glorfindel stories on FF.net, but the majority of them are slash, the most common ship being Glorfindel/Erestor. I'm also tired of gay!Legolas. And gay!Misc. Elves.

I'm just a whisper of smoke
I'm all that's left of two hearts on fire
That once burned out of control
You took my body and soul
I'm just a ghost in this house

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 8:29 pm 
Elf
Elf

Yup. If I see one more Leg./Haldir or Glorfindel/Erestor, or even Elrond/?, I will take a course on how to blow up a site. *cleans STG44*

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2008, 2:58 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Eäryendë wrote:
I've seen a few straight!Glorfindel stories on FF.net,

Wow now that's good news! :) as long as there's still some good fanfic out there I can cope with all the bad stories cuz I can simply ignore them and read the good ones instead :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 3:56 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Hey, if you want to know the background of Glorfindel, then read his article o the Encyclopedia of Arda (I don't have a link).

Suffice to say, he is double hard....

But Tolkien never indicates in his characters (at least obviously) that any of them are of a homosexual persuasion.All material implying this is NON CANONICAL, and as such, should be ignored utterly, and if I had my way, annihilated ruthlessly.

:annoyed2: /rant.end

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 4:42 pm 
Vala
Vala

I could agree more with you, Mephiston. Glorfindel is one of my favourite characters, and whenever I see/hear him slandered as 'gay' my vision goes red, if you know what I mean.

I wish there was some way to write a virus that would search out and delete all things pertaining to a certain topic. That would be really, really useful when it comes to misrepresentation of LotR characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 6:08 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Aerandir wrote:
I could agree more with you, Mephiston. Glorfindel is one of my favourite characters, and whenever I see/hear him slandered as 'gay' my vision goes red, if you know what I mean.

I wish there was some way to write a virus that would search out and delete all things pertaining to a certain topic. That would be really, really useful when it comes to misrepresentation of LotR characters.

Well, to be honest, Im more familiar with the whole Sam/Frodo fics, mainly because its more "mainstream", and I use that word quite wrongly. But when I see any type of slash fic about LOTR, I too see red. Mainly because these are taking some of the best fantasy characters devised and dipping them into their own sick, twisted imagination just because of their own personal insecurities.

Suffice it to say, I wouldnt just send a virus. I would be tempted to hunt them down and have them delete such abominations off the internet at the barrel of a gun. :disgust:

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 9:57 pm 
Elf
Elf

Well, I'd settle for a virus that blows up thier computer, as akin to the one in 'Live Free or Die Hard'. Taht would give both damadge and 'persuasion' not to write such fics.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2009, 12:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I have been known to read a bit of fanfic in my time and I have to agree, the LotR ones are usulally ridiculous. I think they're mostly written by moviefangirls. And I just want to say this (because if I get it out of my system here, then I maybe won't have to hijack the PA at school) LONG HAIR does not equal GAY!!! I don't think any of the gay guys I've known have long hair! I'm glad there are other people out there with the same opinion on these fanfics as me, gives me hope in humanity ;)

Post subject: Re: Glorfindel...Gay?
PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 12:17 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

probably gay themselves but never told anyone, i heard of stories like that but i just stick to ones i can trust. Plus they have a secret that they have to get out! (sorry was i being cruel?)

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 5:38 am 
Elf
Elf

Yeah, this thread does come across as slightly homophobic. But whatever, I can get the frustration.

I don't really have any issues with people writing slash fiction as long as it's done tastefully. As with all writing, if it's rubbish writing it's going to annoy me.

But gay Elves... It's not something I can see happening. I'm pretty sure it's canon (somewhere in HoME I think.. maybe) that elves only have sex to procreate, like Catholicism teaches. They don't have sex outside of marriage either so all the FF of elves doing that don't really work, so of course the gay sexual relationships between elves don't work either. They're not human, they're elves.

That's why I avoid any elven slash fiction... Because I can't suspense disbelief that much. I kinda wish I could suspense disbelief and so read any Arwen/Eowyn fan fiction but I can't. :'-(

Yeah, about the whole Glorfindel being "hard" therefore can't possible be gay thing... Have any of you watched 300? (You should, it has nearly naked Faramir running around in it.) Ignore the line Leonidas says about the Athenians being "boy-lovers". Homosexuality was encouraged in Spartan society. Spartan men didn't get married until age 30 and before that they were having sex with men. It's quite different to find men more "hard" than Spartans. Just saying...

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 9:12 am 
Istari
Istari

I am sorry to say, but this thread amused me, not because of its contents, but because of it's timing... I had just been wondering about the plethora of gay!elves on FF.net myself when this popped up in the topic list. Regardless, I think that people portray elves as gay because they do not do their research (and possibly because of Ralph Bashki, Rankin Bass, and DnD). The traditional term for elves is the archaic term for "happy," the word "gay" People see this word and do not think "happy" they thing "boy elves love other boy elves?! Cool, lets write fanfics about that!" without considering the background of the elven culture or the intent of the author.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM